2011 Silverado - Engine light came on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a brand new 2011 Silverado pickup in April. Changed the break in oil at 500 miles, truck has just over 3,200 miles on it and today the Engine Light came on and is staying on. According to the owners manual with the light staying on steady and not flashing I have an emissions problem.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

So much for trying to help out an American company. My faith in GM is sinking quickly. I have owned two other Chevy pickups and with them it was just like this one, either emissions or computer problem. All I know is the truck is under warranty and it's going to the dealer as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Rob if you don't have a scanner lets do the one few things that we can do that seems to throw a CEL. The gas cap.

Take it off and then put it on and a few clicks. If that was it once the cycle that checks it will happen and hopefully the light goes off.

If its something else then yep the dealer will hopefully fix it.

Keep us informed. Bill

Just get the codes scanned it's probably something really simple. Gas cap not being on all the way is the most common thing I see, and the fact that you have to turn the key over and start the ignition 25-50 times before that code will clear it may hang around for awhile. I don't know if disconnecting the battery for a few minutes in newer cars temporarily clears codes or not anymore.

It's way under warranty even if something more than that has gone wrong, can happen to any vehicle from any manufacturer.

Rob, I understand you are frustrated that you have a brand new truck with a check engine light on. We are are really limited on what we can guess it could be because we have no codes to go off of. I'm also guessing that the truck is running just fine so you'll be able to make it to dealership ok and they'll most likely fix it. If it turns out that the this is the first of some long line of problems, lemons laws are in place to help you out.

If you want to start another topic about being "burned" about helping a US company or that you bought a 3rd GM truck in the name of patriotism after having 2 bad experiences, please do so. Just don't start it like you need us to help diagnos a problem that you know we can't.

I'm guessing you're just frustrated at the whole situation. I get it, everyone else does, you'll be fine and hopefully give this truck to your grandson with 300k miles on it.

NYSteve, Just simply venting. Did not want to sound like a child but, maybe I came across as such. The truck has a 4.3 liter engine if that helps any. I did try the gas cap thing it did not help. The truck has been great up to this point.

I have a coworker who works part time at Auto Zone. Going to take it there and see what code(s) pop up. Hope it is something very simple.

Last edited:
Take it in to the dealer, make it their problem. You paid good money for that truck and warranty, use it.

It's brand new, still under warranty, and you're considering taking it to Auto Zone to have the CEL diagnosed?

Take it to the dealer and let them worry about it.

Honestly, a CEL on a new car wouldn't bother me that much, no matter the brand. I mean seriously, they are expensive, but even the cheapest cars are massively complicated. Hundreds of thousands of parts. It's impossible to have everything be perfect, every single time.

Umpteen jillion things could be causing the problem.
The code needs to be checked. I'd use the dealership - it's free and you may need a record.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Honestly, a CEL on a new car wouldn't bother me that much, no matter the brand. I mean seriously, they are expensive, but even the cheapest cars are massively complicated. Hundreds of thousands of parts. It's impossible to have everything be perfect, every single time.

This is exactly how I would feel. A lot of cars even have TSBs for common causes for a check engine light. Sometimes, an improved part is needed, or just an inspection of a problem area that was found after assembly. In some cases, the fault code is completely bogus due to a software glitch in the PCM, in which case there will probably be a software update available.

After taking it to the dealer, it is likely that the truck will be in & out in an hour if they aren't too busy.

Originally Posted By: jim302

This is exactly how I would feel. A lot of cars even have TSBs for common causes for a check engine light. Sometimes, an improved part is needed, or just an inspection of a problem area that was found after assembly. In some cases, the fault code is completely bogus due to a software glitch in the PCM, in which case there will probably be a software update available.

After taking it to the dealer, it is likely that the truck will be in & out in an hour if they aren't too busy.

The dealership SHOULD HAVE updated it BEFORE delivering it to the CUSTOMER *IF* this is the situation.

I've had CEL on vehicles that were new (its been a long time since) but something that was "improved" or TSB really should be done WELL before the customer EVER sees the vehicle. That IS customer service.

I don't care if the truck comes in and out under an hour. Its a hour that should NEVER be done *IF* the vehicle/dealership/manufacture had a clue. (again *IF* it is a upgrade or TSB that happened before delivery date)

The customer has a life too. And its their hard earned $$ and TIME that is wasted here.

JMO, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

The dealership SHOULD HAVE updated it BEFORE delivering it to the CUSTOMER *IF* this is the situation.

I've had CEL on vehicles that were new (its been a long time since) but something that was "improved" or TSB really should be done WELL before the customer EVER sees the vehicle. That IS customer service.

I don't care if the truck comes in and out under an hour. Its a hour that should NEVER be done *IF* the vehicle/dealership/manufacture had a clue. (again *IF* it is a upgrade or TSB that happened before delivery date)

The customer has a life too. And its their hard earned $$ and TIME that is wasted here.

JMO, Bill

+1 Good post Bill.

Who knows what's wrong with this particular vehicle but the manufactures don't necessarily pay the dealer to address every TSB on inventory unless a customer has a complaint because not every car with a TSB issue will fail. That would be a campaign or recall and a TSB is not at that level. Manufacturers and dealers could deliver more perfect vehicles but you will pay for that one way or another. This truck's problem showed up later.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

JMO, Bill

Call up your congressman and tell his to start repealing consumer protection laws.

Many states have consumer protection laws that indicate an automobile can not be repaired without notifying the customer. This includes pre-delivery vehicles. If a car has been fixed for any reason prior to the customer taking delivery, the dealer is obligated to inform the customer before delivery. This also gets into very murky water about whether it is a "new" car anymore and how much the repair de-values the car. There's been lots of litigation on cases like this if you think lawsuits are light reading.

The exception is if it is a recall campaign. Those are safety and emission related, regulated by NHTSA and the EPA, respectivly. These typically come along with a "stop sale" at the dealer level in which none of the vehicles involved with the campaign may be sold until the recall inspection or correction has occured.

Also, TSBs are also written as a "Vehicle may exhibit..." or "Customer may experience..." type of repair. That is, they don't affect all vehicles. If the customer doesn't come in specifically complaining about the problem, the recall doesn't apply. They are not blanket repairs intended to fix the entire fleet, but rather only those vehicles which exhibit a specific condition. There are numerous reasons why this is and none of them have to do with screwing over the customer.

Generally, unless it's a legit problem that was identified during the pre-delivery inspection, it gets delivered. A dealer isn't going to go through an entire vehicle throwing new software in every controller and performing every single published TSB, most of which will never affect the vehicle. Talk about a waste of time and money.

New cars have problems, that's why they have a warranty.

Dealers "should" be on top of things, but sometimes they aren't. So it's up to the customer to correct the problem.

TSBs are only covered if the problem exists on that car. Now a dealer in California cannot sell a vehicle with an open service campaign (recall to those not in the industry). New vehicles sitting on the lot are not covered under warranty until the vehicle is sold. Anything wrong with a vehicle is caught on the PDI and either paid for by the deliver company, the manufacturer or just made internal by the dealer. The timeframe for a repair like that is usually 48 hours from the vehicle being delivered to the dealer lot.

Case in point, when a battery dies on a new car on the lot, the manufacturer will not pay for a new one, the sales dept does.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Also, TSBs are also written as a "Vehicle may exhibit..." or "Customer may experience..." type of repair. That is, they don't affect all vehicles. If the customer doesn't come in specifically complaining about the problem, the recall doesn't apply. They are not blanket repairs intended to fix the entire fleet, but rather only those vehicles which exhibit a specific condition. There are numerous reasons why this is and none of them have to do with screwing over the customer.

Thanks for stating this.

Many TSBs cover something that can only happen in a rare situation, and are designed to prevent expensive components from being replaced when it is not necessary.

On the topic of a false check engine light, a normal procedure for handling that condition would be to replace the PCM which is expensive. The TSB is there to save the manufacturer money (as well as the customer if the vehicle is out of warranty and if the customer has to pay... a re-flash would cost less than a new PCM for example).

Sometimes, they are for very minor things like rattle noises from interior components. Other times, they may even be procedural information to make sure the repair is completed successfully the first time.

It is very likely that the OP's issue is not a software glitch anyways, and may or may not be covered by a TSB... I was just using this as an example of why a new car might experience a check engine light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back