Detergent Levels in Different Gas Brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stumbled across this article about detergent levels tested in different gas brands and thought it to be of useful information. I have long used BP gas specifically because of the rebate credit card I have with them. This is good news for using BP gas......and others.

Gas Detergent Levels

Last edited:
Very useful. I think it has been posted before but it is good to see since the search engine doesn't work too well. I wonder how uniform those detergent specs are around the country?

That is my concern, how accurate would those be if you choose another 5 states to sample from...

I've been told in the past to stick with Shell for the 93 oct I run, but recently switched to Mobil because it seemed to provide better performance - for whatever reason, logs while running Shell seemed to show more cruise knock than Mobil while I was running a more aggressive tune. This was over many tanks and many logs.

Last edited:
I would like to think the big 3 probably are pretty uniform across the U.S. The others may vary from state to state. This is just speculation though. It does make me feel more confident in using exclusively BP gas though. BP has been the whipping boy for gasoline for a long time. Some of it well deserved with the oil spill and all. Considering they own and operate the largest refinery in my state, I like buying from a company that supplies jobs to my area....and the rebates don't hurt either.

Good information, thank you. Even if it is not the same in each state, it gives a general trend.

I have a BP rebate card as well. When I lived in Tampa it was about the same price as other gas places. Now the placed I moved to has two stations and it's always a good 10-20 cents more so I never go there anymore. As a matter of fact, I never see anyone go to the BP stations here.

I would have liked to see Hess and Chevron on that list. I realize Hess is a bid gas station but I'm curious nonetheless.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I've been told in the past to stick with Shell for the 93 oct I run, but recently switched to Mobil because it seemed to provide better performance - for whatever reason, logs while running Shell seemed to show more cruise knock than Mobil while I was running a more aggressive tune. This was over many tanks and many logs.

Perhaps for your app, the detergent package was too concentrated in 93 Shell compared to Mobil?

I prefer Shell 93-octane and Exxon 87. Practically, though, I generally just fill up at Costco.

Since gas varies so much by where, my advice may not work for you in particular.

But in my data logging the best gas by far for knock retard in my car is BP. I've run them all, and recorded both long term and short term KR values.

Originally Posted By: Durango
I'm very surprised as BP detergent levels were pretty high! Here in California ARCO which is a division of BP has been toted to be sub-quality gas.

Durango

BP bought out Amoco years ago and still brands it's premium as Amoco Ultimate. Amoco was one of the highest quality fuel brands for decades, and BP seems to have kept up the quality.

remember every car has a different head design and state of tune so what works in a 6.1 liter hemi may not be needed or necessary in your car.

But I tried them all!

It should be noted that Diablo also recommends BP in Fl.

Last edited:
I thought exxon and Mobil were the same company?

but in the premium section they are different....

and theres no mobil is 87 octane....

i dont like this test lol

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
I'm very surprised as BP detergent levels were pretty high! Here in California ARCO which is a division of BP has been toted to be sub-quality gas.

Durango

BP bought out Amoco years ago and still brands it's premium as Amoco Ultimate. Amoco was one of the highest quality fuel brands for decades, and BP seems to have kept up the quality.

Drew2000,

That information is something I didn't know! Amoco made the best quality gas out of all the others??? WOW. I learn something new every day I read this forum.

It's quite obvious allot of people who bash ARCO all the time don't know this fact as well. I use ARCO most of the time cuz it's the closest around. I wish they still had there old credit card but paying for gas using cash isn't too bad for me.
I also admit I haven't had any issues using it either compared to the competitors.

All you ARCO bashers/haters take notes and observe.

Durango

Durango

Drew2000,

That information is something I didn't know! Amoco made the best quality gas out of all the others??? WOW. I learn something new every day I read this forum.

It's quite obvious allot of people who bash ARCO all the time don't know this fact as well. I use ARCO most of the time cuz it's the closest around. I wish they still had there old credit card but paying for gas using cash isn't too bad for me.
I also admit I haven't had any issues using it either compared to the competitors.

Durango

IIRC, ARCO is a "value" brand and isn't selling the same fuel that is sold in BP branded stations. Also AMOCO had no relation to ARCO

By me (CT) BP always runs better in my car compared to Stop and Shop or Cumberland Farms stations. Good to see there is a little science behind it.

Here in NJ, unless you're buying a real off brand gas they pretty much are the same in their respective octane grades. I've noticed no difference in using Quikcheck, Hess, Exxon and Shell. I go for convenience and price. Shell advertises their "Nitrogen" gasoline for cleaning. If it's competitive and convenient I'll use it. Otherwise I've never had any problems with the other's. I try to frequent newer stations with a high turn over volume. Gasoline quality and performance has come a long way in recent years. I do use FP60 in every tank of gas so maybe that helps "equal" out the brands for me. My wife doesn't and still at 110,000 miles has had no problems with any "non fly by night brand gasoline" here in NJ.

Whimsey

Last edited:
No Chevron or Union 76 gasoline. Chevron is/was the standard fuel used by all auto manufacturers to test for federal emissions. I was supposedly the cleanest fuel available.

Stands to reason. Why the base hydrocarbons do not vary/all come from the same source for the most part, the majors have a higher level of QC/want to impose quality.

The no-names just need to meet EPA, they are keen on being most cost competitive.

I asked Dave at redline about treat rates, especially for DI given the differences in detergency. The response I got was

Quote:
Using a treat ratio of one bottle to between 50 and 100 gallons has proven to be somewhat effective at cleaning and maintaining intake valve cleanliness from the EGR stream, providing partially cleaning compared to the direct cleaning of an indirect fuel injection system. A treat ratio on a continuous basis of between 1.5 and 3 ounces per 10 gallons of fuel, a good treat ratio for your lower tier fuel.

Which I dont think has changed since SI-1 has changed. There are a lot of assumptions in this though, based upon the concentration of OE detergents in the parent fuel and survival rates after combustion. I have those questions back to redline.

Durango

Drew2000,

Durango

IIRC, ARCO is a "value" brand and isn't selling the same fuel that is sold in BP branded stations. Also AMOCO had no relation to ARCO

OK It's a value made gas but still a division of BP. Does anyone know how ARCO ranks against all other California gas brands???

Durango

funny how Exxon and Mobil were different in the Premium fuel. I run Mobil because it is ethanol free here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back