Acura MDX rear hub bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our MDX has begun to generate a light howl at speed, mostly heard only on smoother pavement...and lately, it's beginning to get louder on longer right-hand sweeps of the road and a little quieter on longer left-hand sweeps of the road. So I'm suspecting that the left rear hub bearing is beginning to make noise.

I've not seen a hub bearing like this on a driven hub. Most of the ones I've seen bolt to the hub with 3 or 4 bolts. This one is a simple cylindrical bearing driven into the hub with a press. So it's not really DIY replaceable.

But I'm wondering if it's DIY serviceable. This car sat for extended lengths of time when my folks owned it, so I'm thinking the bearing may have gotten dry. Would it be possible at this point, despite the fact that the bearing is already making noise, to disassemble everything and grease it to quiet it down? Or is the fact that it's already making noise mean that it's already scored or damaged, and no amount of grease or TLC will restore it back to quiet?

I have no qualms about disassembling everything to try and fix this myself, but if it'd be a futile effort, I won't waste my time and will just take it to an indy shop for repair.

Thank you!

you will need a shop press, harbor freight tools sells them pretty cheap, you can not grease the bearing, it is a sealed bearing and if it comes apart while removing it it's done.

Oh okay, from the small service manual picture, it looked a lot like a standard needle bearing type design. I think I'll leave this one up to the pros, if it does get any worse.

Thanks!

Have you priced the actual replacement bearing? My Volvo has a similar set up but new OEM bearings are only $30. Figured a shop pressing it out and putting new in might be another $30ish if you bring the hub in. Sounds like you are ok disassembling so might be good to price it out is all I'm saying.

It's a cartridge bearing, double row. They are so wide they can be mistaken for a needle bearing to the layman.

The bearing is not serviceable because the seals cannot be disturbed without ruining them.

Replacement can be DIY if you have access to a press. An auto supply house with a machine shop can handle this for you if you can present the parts to them.

If the bearings are making noise, they're likely ruined and regreasing won't salvage them.

No need for a press, the bearing is built into the hub. Cheap part, easy fix. I've never looked at a Honda rear hub assy so I don't know how easy it'd be to try to r&r the bearing out of the hub since it's not designed to be replaced that way. If you remove the bearing you can get the p/n off it and order a replacement from NTN, SKF, etc. May or may not be worth all that trouble.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=MDX&catcgry2=2007&catcgry3=5DR+SPORT&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=REAR%2BBRAKE&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back