Honda P/S Fluid Change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Honda Odyssey. 129k miles. Very dark power steering fluid and a little low on fluid. It was making a little bit of a clicking noise while turning on a regular basis.

So, I decided to change this much neglected fluid. I purchased a case of Honda OEM power steering fluid and used 8 of the pints and a fluid extractor. I pulled all the fluid I could out of the reservoir, replace with new fluid, started the car and moved the steering wheel back and forth about ten times. I repeated this process with 8 of the 12 pints in the case until the fluid was just about clear. Made sure it was topped up and drove it around.

Wow, what a difference the new fluid made! It took about 30 minutes total, and the improvement was great! I will check it again in about 10k miles. I may do another flush at that point because the new fluid will probably clean out some of the old [censored] that was in there.

Cool, thanks for the report. Check the brake fluid and coolant as well. And keep the ATF serviced. How has the transmission been on yours?

I think you used too much ATF fluid, I did the same with Mityvac and used only 1 quart Maxlife PSF to replace the old fluid in my E430 a couple years ago. The new fluid quiet down the squealing when the steering wheel turned more than 20-30 degree either way after engine warm. I think PSF should be replaced every 40-50k miles or 4-5 years whichever is first.

I absolutely did not use too much fluid. I flushed the system from dark brown to a very light tan. Steering the car in between to get the new fluid throughout the system.

I rebuilt the transmission at 109k. The transmissions on these are horrible. The transmission fluid is Honda DW-1 now.

Not really a "flush", you did a mix. But with that much new fluid run through the system it's as good as it's going to get!

Joel

Install a magnefine in line filter in the return line. Power steering is a hydraulic system, and every hydraulic system lives longer if filtered.

Lubegard power steering supplement improves the feel even more, or use Lubegard power steering fluid, which they say is suitable for Hondas.

Power steering fluid can be flushed if the plumbing allows. The return line can be directed to waste with its fitting on the reservoir capped. Jacking up the front helps, turn the wheel from side to side as fluid gets pumped to waste and new fluid added.

Your PSF system takes about a quart of fluid and you used 4 quarts (8 pints), so technically you did use too much. But for your method it is required to waste fluid. Am I the only person that finds using the return line to the PSF reservoir easier and faster?

Now that it has been done keep up on it and drain and fill every oil change a 5 min extra job and no need to do flush anymore. Have been doing my 05 pilot since 10K now at 105K looks light tan evey time I drain and fill at evey oil change.

I agree....not really a flush. The cost being about $25 total for the 8 pints, it is money well spent. It is steering much smoother now, and I will probably do this again soon, probably in 30k miles. I am not going to add any filters, different fluid, additives, etc. It is good to go the way it is now for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back