Is 5w40 full synthetic safe for non-turbo car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Hyundai Elantra with 56000 miles on it. Since I bought the car from 28000 miles, I've been using full synthetic 5W30 the whole time. I used 12 qts of Penzoil platinum ($1 after rebate per quart), 12 qts Mobil1 from Costco (cheap after coupon), 5qts G-Oil (free after rebate).

I recently ordered 12 quarts of 5W20 Valvoline full synthetic from Amazon, but they shipped me 5W40. It looks like they ran out and shipped 5W40 instead. The label reads "Euro Spec" whatever that means, and it's for gasoline cars. It was a great deal for $30 after rebate for 12 qts, so I don't want to return them.

I drive very gentle, and it takes about 10 miles to school during weekdays, no traffic. Climate is never too cold, never too hot here in Portland, Oregon. That's why I wanted to try the more thin oil after doing a lot of reading here.
The car has no problems, and get about 29 mpg normal driving with 10% Ethanol gasoline.

I know it doesn't make too much difference in real viscosity, but my manual calls for 5W20/5W30/10W30 so I'm a little bit hesitant about 5W40, but being full synthetic kind of tells me it'll be okay.

I still have 12 qts more 5W30 Mobile1, and each oil change usually takes a little more than 3 qts. Would it be safe to use all the Mobil1 first, then start using the 5W40 Valvoline? Or should I not use it?

Last edited:
Just mix it 50/50 with the M1 or run it. It won't kill your car either way. Your MPG's will take a hit most likely but you will be fine. I would wait until the summer to run it if you don't mix it.

Absolutely not a problem. A little drop in fuel economy and a little bump in engine protection.

I'd use the M1 in winter, and the Valvoline in summer.

It'll be fine. As long as the oil keeps the metal parts separated your engine will hardly know the difference.

You may lose a slight amount of fuel economy (a few percent) but beyond that you'd never know.

Thanks for all the replies.
It is still confusing me though. I read that mixing different brand / grade oils is possible but not such a good idea because the additives might be different, and some might even negate each other's additive. Again, I still have 12 qts of Mobile1 5W30 and 12 qts of 6qt Valvoline Synpower 5W40.

I can find discussions about 5W40 on turbo engines and diesel engines, but none for regular economy cars.

Originally Posted By: hp79
Thanks for all the replies.
It is still confusing me though. I read that mixing different brand / grade oils is possible but not such a good idea because the additives might be different, and some might even negate each other's additive. Again, I still have 12 qts of Mobile1 5W30 and 12 qts of 6qt Valvoline Synpower 5W40.

I can find discussions about 5W40 on turbo engines and diesel engines, but none for regular economy cars.

That's out of date advice. You can mix any oil today without issue.

I'd try a full fill of 5W-40 to see how your car runs on it.

I use 5w-40 in my non-turbo 530i. I also used 5w-40 in our old Jetta 2.0. There is a UOA of it somewhere.

Does that qualify as regular cars?

I have run rotella T6 5w-40 in our 97 dodge caravan a few times up to 12 or 13k IIRC look good via UOA despite small coolant leak. Also ran it in my 90 deville no prob. All spec a 30 weight.

Last edited:
You got an oil many German car owners would be happy to have for only $2.50/qt and it was an accident?
You could certainly use this oil in your Hyundai.
It will provide a far higher spec than your car needs, and the >3.5 HTHS may result in some minor loss in fuel economy, particularly in the shortish trips you drive.
You might also swap it with someone who has an application that really needs a Euro spec 5W-40 who lives near you.
I'd swap you for your choice of G-Oil, Synpower or PP, all 5W-30s I happen to have in my stash.
If you really pushed me, I'd probably give up my PU.
There is probably some owner of a German car in your area who'd be happy to do the same, maybe someone on BITOG.

I recently ordered 12 quarts of 5W20 Valvoline full synthetic from Amazon, but they shipped me 5W40. It looks like they ran out and shipped 5W40 instead.

?

I have received 2 shipments from Amazon that were incorrect/damaged and they sent new correct items.. told me to keep the old items. Wonder if they would do that with you ??....

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

I recently ordered 12 quarts of 5W20 Valvoline full synthetic from Amazon, but they shipped me 5W40. It looks like they ran out and shipped 5W40 instead.

?

I have received 2 shipments from Amazon that were incorrect/damaged and they sent new correct items.. told me to keep the old items. Wonder if they would do that with you ??....

I called and asked if they can send me the correct one. They said I'd have to wait 1-2 months for any grade. I had to send in the rebate with UPC from the box so I just decided to keep it.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You got an oil many German car owners would be happy to have for only $2.50/qt and it was an accident?
You could certainly use this oil in your Hyundai.
It will provide a far higher spec than your car needs, and the >3.5 HTHS may result in some minor loss in fuel economy, particularly in the shortish trips you drive.

The price were same for all grades (5W20, 5W30, 5W40), and 5W40 were the last ones that sold out. 5W20 sold out much earlier, so I thought I was lucky to get in.

I hope it gives at least better protection when I use the 5W40 with the sacrifice of a little bit of mileage.
When I had a 2000 9-5 Saab V6 I tried Rotella full synthetic 5W40, and it felt really thick just pouring the oil. But that one was for both diesel and gasoline cars. I didn't really notice any difference.

I still have 12 qts more 5W30 Mobile1, and each oil change usually takes a little more than 3 qts. Would it be safe to use all the Mobil1 first, then start using the 5W40 Valvoline? Or should I not use it?

I'm assuming you're no longer under warranty. If you are, use the speced Mobil 1 first, then use the 5w-40. The 5w-40 may not be the "optimal" choice for your engine, but it should be fine.

From my understanding, that car spec's 5w-40 in every place besides the USA, so you should be fine IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back