Lubro Moly 5w30 vs M1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I can get either locally just curious if anyone thinks I'd see an advantage using the 5w30 of the 0w40 in the winter considering the VW sees mostly short trips in town.

Both are A3/502 rated oils. Cost isn't really an issue for me since I'll be running it at least 6mo if not the full 12/10k mi.

I'm also thinking of putting in a can of MoS2 in either oil.

Thoughts? Other option I'm considering is Kendall's 5w40 euro spec.

I'd say M1 0w40. Thinner up until 20C, and after that both very close. Better VI too.

Depending on which LM 5w30, you may have TBN issues running a low SAPS oil in a US sparker, and with short trips.

I would go with the M1 all day. It Meets so many specs the SN formula looks strong. I think all the oils you mentioned are good lubes, but BobFout is right about Low SAPS oil and TBN retention with our gas.

Thanks guys. I'll just stick with the M1. I didn't consider the low SAPS issue vs TBN.

I'll probably still dump in the can of MoS2 to see if it makes any improvement. My Buick loves the stuff.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
I'd say M1 0w40. Thinner up until 20C, and after that both very close. Better VI too.

Depending on which LM 5w30, you may have TBN issues running a low SAPS oil in a US sparker, and with short trips.
if he's dumping the oil in 6 months is it even a issue?

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: BobFout

if he's dumping the oil in 6 months is it even a issue?

If it was all highway, maybe not. But with winter + short trips + US fuel management, that just yells "fuel consumption".

The LM would work just fine. I don't know what price you get for it, but unless it's cheaper than M1 0w40 I would just go for the Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back