Turn off power to central A/C for winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
OK, I think I've found it. Didn't initially notice there was an ON/OFF position on it. Is this it?

DSC_0354.jpg

Yes thats it. It is not a fuse, it is a disconnect for the service person. This way he can kill the power to the unit right there instead if going in your basement to the breaker panel.

Me? I leave it on. I try to run the A/C once a month or so over the winter. That circulates the oil, which I believe helps to keep the freon from leaking out.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

And FWIW- every home I've lived in has a separate breaker for the air handler (indoor blower/furnace combo) and the condensing/compressor unit outside. It doesn't have to be that way, but it commonly is.

I'm pretty sure that it does have to be that way to be a code-compliant installation, even if the indoor unit and outdoor unit are both 240V.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Me? I leave it on. I try to run the A/C once a month or so over the winter. That circulates the oil, which I believe helps to keep the freon from leaking out.

Then either you are very lucky you did not damage your compressor or the temperatures weren’t low enough to do any damage.

Unlike automotive AC systems, which have rubber seals and o-rings that can dry out if not used, home A/C systems have no such things because all connections are brazed, therefore it doesn't need to be run in winter.
Also, unlike car's A/C, when the temperature is really low, there is a chance that the freon will not vaporize and may be ingested by the compressor in its liquid form, in which case the compressor is toast.

I think more expensive, top of the line A/C units have various safety measures to prevent that, but generally it is still not a good idea to run the compressor during winter.

Originally Posted By: brianl703

And FWIW- every home I've lived in has a separate breaker for the air handler (indoor blower/furnace combo) and the condensing/compressor unit outside. It doesn't have to be that way, but it commonly is.

I'm pretty sure that it does have to be that way to be a code-compliant installation,

And it is. I finally found the corresponding circuit breakers. Apparently I was blind the first time I looked at the circuit box. I blame it on someone's poor handwriting.
smile.gif

Thanks guys!

You can't damage any modern central AC by turning it on in low temps. As 440 pointed out, they have a heater to warm the compressor oil. Mine will not start until that is properly pre-heated, even if you run in and turn it on immediately after powering up.

newer variable displacement systems are even more fail safe, as they are immune to liquid ingestion as well.

That's true of an automotive AC system where there are rubber hoses and a compressor shaft seal that need to be "wetted" with oil.

Totally unnecessary with a soldered-shut hermetic system in a home AC unit.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Perhaps, but most heatpumps have a winter lock out when the temperature is low to prevent running the unit in cooling mode, why is that?

Actually most heat pumps DO run in cooling mode during winter... several times a day in fact. That's exactly what the "defrost" cycle is.

But then heat pumps run the compressor year-round anyway so the clarifier heater comes on whenever needed. And besides, the scroll compressors that most of them now use are pretty tolerant of liquid ingestion compared to older reciprocating compressors.

Unlike automotive AC systems, which have rubber seals and o-rings that can dry out if not used, home A/C systems have no such things because all connections are brazed, therefore it doesn't need to be run in winter.

This

IMHO 99% of Freon is lost through the caps on the Schroeder valve. Same as for a automotive systems.

What I do is put a very very slight amount of silicon grease on the area where the rubber O-Ring of the cap seats. Since I have been doing this I have not had to recharge any of my vehicles.

Strange that no A/C person ever recommends it or even has heard of it.

Actually most heat pumps DO run in cooling mode during winter... several times a day in fact. That's exactly what the "defrost" cycle is.

But then heat pumps run the compressor year-round anyway so the clarifier heater comes on whenever needed. And besides, the scroll compressors that most of them now use are pretty tolerant of liquid ingestion compared to older reciprocating compressors.

Yes they do, but they do it after an extended run in heat mode and in these cases the evaporator, which is the condenser in heat mode, is hot, therefore there is no risk of liquid refrigerant making its way back to the compressor, also the compressor and oil is warm from running in heat mode so there is no liquid refrigerant in the oil. The defrost cycle is a controlled process that happens after certain conditions are met and is totally controlled by the system, not the user. So you cannot compare a defrost cycle to an accidental AC activation during winter, hence the lockout, it's there for a reason.

So you cannot compare a defrost cycle to an accidental AC activation during winter, hence the lockout, it's there for a reason.

Actually its the oil heater that's there for a reason. IF the heater has been on, you can start an AC at any time of year.... which gets back to the original question, YES you can disconnect the main power to the outdoor unit (gas or oil heat, not a heat pump) in the winter to save the expense of running the clarifier heater... WITH the caveat that you turn the power back on several hours before starting the AC to give the heater time to work if its an old enough system so that it doesn't protect the compressor from starting before the oil reaches a preset temperature.

Then either you are very lucky you did not damage your compressor or the temperatures weren’t low enough to do any damage.

Also, unlike car's A/C, when the temperature is really low, there is a chance that the freon will not vaporize and may be ingested by the compressor in its liquid form, in which case the compressor is toast.

I think more expensive, top of the line A/C units have various safety measures to prevent that, but generally it is still not a good idea to run the compressor during winter.

I only run it during warm spells during the winter. Those occasional mild, sunny days when the temperature rises above 50F. Also, in the afternoon, sunshine plays on the condenser further warming it. It only gets run for 10 or 15 minutes. Once a month or so. I probably should have been more specific on the conditions when it is run.

While a home air conditioning system may be "sealed", there are potential leakage areas such as where wiring enters the compressor, fill fittings, what appear to be compression fittings. There's also the matter of metal porosity, micro fractures in joints, etc. No system is perfect.

When we first moved into this house 10 years ago, I did not run the system over the winter. In the spring, it had to be recharged. Since then, I run it occasionally and have not had to have it recharged since. I could get it checked, but they probably wouldn't find anything (remember it's run fine for 8 or 9 years now).

I understand the differences between automotive and house A/C, but there are also similarities. Many years ago, it was a spring ritual to have the automobile A/C recharged, a lot of folks would have to have it done. At some point manufacturers altered the system design to activate the A/C system when the defroster is turned on, primarily to provide dry air for the defroster. As a result the refrigerant oil is regularly circulated during the winter. I believe this has a benefit of reducing freon loss. I haven't had to have an automotive A/C system recharged in decades.

I'm in the camp that occasional running of machinery (under the appropriate conditions) is better than not running it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back