SHC Synthese Technology (Mobil 1 New Life 0W40)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
Today I changed the oil - big surprise on the 5 L canister of Mobil 1 New Life 0W40: SHC Synthese Technology; Made in EU. This oil must be fully synthetic and not hydrocracked semisynthetic. Or am I wrong?
181383276_848756.jpg

Normally when an oil says "synthetic technology", that's code for hydrocracked & isomerized GrpIII. I don't think the term "SHC Synthese Technology" guarantee's it is GrpIV or GrpV. Is there a page on Mobil's web site that decribes SHC Synthese Technology?

Anyway, don't get too hung up on if the base stock is Group Whatever. If it meets the ACEA spec or has the proper manufacturer approval, it will work in your engine.

Thx - my worry about its price; I can buy APi Goup III oil almost half price. I also miss the special antiwear package sign on the label. How does it happen that the same oil name has 3 different labels?
328x367-Newlife.jpg

ReadImage

oil%20009.jpg

Last edited:
I am sure it has some IV in it. If You find an oil rated for your engine that is cheaper I wouldn't hesitate to use it. This is good oil but I have no idea how much it costs so it may be better to go with another oil (good grp. III).

I think the M1` "fully synthetic" is the premo stuff
and "Synthetic technology" are two very different things.

Last edited:
GpIII. The SHC stands for Synthetic HydroCracked.
Synthese Technology says it all, a full synthetic would use the word Voll or Full.

IMHO Its a full blown con job based on stupid word games, make the product cheaper and charge the same money, then advertise it to make the fools thing they are getting a new and better product.
Not that's its bad oil but they charge the same for it as they did the old "Voll/Full" Synthetic and that's the con.

Americans went through these shenanigans years ago but legal loopholes were used to call worked over dino oil synthetic.

http://www.mobil1.de/wissenswertes/was-sind-shc-synthese-oele.aspx

Edit: The one in the middle picture in the silver/black label is the real deal.

Last edited:
Thx for all - my problem is the price:
Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W40 (API Group III) = USD 45 / 5 quarts
Mobil 1 New Life 0W40 (should be PAO or esters with antiwear package) = USD 63 / 5 quarts
Based on the labels: (almost) similar qualities.
?
---
Edit: it's not fair play!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
IMHO Its a full blown con job based on stupid word games, make the product cheaper and charge the same money, then advertise it to make the fools thing they are getting a new and better product.

That's why I give Amsoil some credit, they state 100% Synthetic on the products that are.

Originally Posted By: ivancro
SHC - Synthetic hydrocarbons, also known as polyalphaolefins (PAOs):)

No, PAO is group IV and would be called a full synthetic.

That maybe so but Mobil seems to be using it differently by adding "Synthese Technology" they even trademarked it.
From previously posted link..
Quote:
Beide Motorenöle werden aus Rohöl hergestellt, das aus dem Boden gefördert wird. Der Unterschied besteht darin, dass Synthese Öle in einem modernen Raffinierungs-Prozess hergestellt werden und dadurch reiner und von höherer Qualität sind als herkömmliche Öle.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It's the Visom group III+.

According to that Mobil paper from awhile back,all M1 oils are of this category,right?

I found this in a PDF.
Quote:
From an performance point of view, it is important to ascertain whether a given “synthetic performance oil” is
formulated from;
· Hydrocracked (XVHI, LHC, NHC, MC etc)
· PAO/SHC
· A blend of PAO and esters.
Hydro-cracked is a lower cost, lower performance solution, followed by PAO/SHC.

But Mobil added something to the SHC then trademarked it so the accepted acronym doesn't apply.
They admit it in black and white that it is highly refined earth oil AKA dino.

IMHO They know all to well someone will google SHC oil and come up with PAO and wrongly conclude they have a full synthetic.

I don't remember, exactly. I believe it was slowly replacing the existing group III stuff, starting with 0w40.

That's the PDF i was reading and quoted from, it does say SHC is PAO which i believe has already been established but it appears Mobil is using the acronym together with other words to redefine it.
Look at the jug carefully it has "SHC Synthese Technology" and trademark symbol not just SHC synthetic oil.

From reading their own published information it seems this is a way of getting around some laws in other countries without coming right out and saying GpIII or blend.
Advertising and deception to reap higher profits IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back