Honda Elite 80 Scooter Longevity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The speedo only has 5 digits, so does this mean my scooter isn't supposed to go over 100k miles? It's a single cylinder 80cc four stroke with 2600 miles. I run Delvac 15w40 in it and change it every 1000 miles, a whole 3/4th quart of it. Has no oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Scoot_4_20
The speedo only has 5 digits,

5-digit speedo would be capable of displaying speeds of up to 99,999 miles an hour! Impressive, for an 80cc scooter.
smile.gif

I'm sure you meant odo.

It is quite normal on a lot of bikes to only display 5 digits on the odometer. My 500cc Vulcan is that way, too. Most people do not put anywhere close to that mileage on their 2-wheelers. And if they do, the odo just rolls over. No biggie.

It would be difficult to get any air cooled 80cc engine to last 100,000 miles. But if any 80 can do it, it's probably the Elite.

That's a lot of time in the saddle of a machine that only goes 42-45 mph.

you just have to keep track of how many times it rolls over. its not too hard. i do it in my 81 fairmont. im up to 1...

Last edited:
It probably won't last 100,000 miles without a rebuild - sad, but true. Even so, you'll be saving a ton of gas.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but the Elite 80 ran for over 20-years with very few changes. If it works, don't fix it.

The only 2 common problems with them are easy to remedy.

First: the Elite 80 does not come from the factory with an inline fuel filter. Pull the right-side panel and install one. They are dirt cheap (pun intended) and worth every bit of the time & effort.

Second: the rear exhaust bracket/bolts are known to fail, leaving the muffler hanging by the head bolts. I believe the fix was installing washers on the exhaust bracket bolts (by the back wheel) to give them more support. Either the welds commonly failed or the metal was too thin and cracked, I don't remember right now, but the bumper-washer remedy gave enough surface area to hold it in place securely.

Hope this helps and enjoy the scooter!

BTW, there is an Elite 80 running around here with over 45,000 miles on it and no work to the engine. That came from the mouth of the original owner who commutes daily on it. He changes his oil every 1,000 miles per Honda recommendation due to having no oil filter, just the oil screen which is useless.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I just remembered another cause/symptom related to the exhaust bracket/bolts thing I mentioned above.

For some reason the bolts are prone to loosening, whether vibration or whatever. The movememt/wiggling allowed by the loosened bolts caused weld and cracking problems with the bracket itself, creating the problem mentioned above as well.

A Medium strength lock-tite or similar applied to the bolts will help prevent this as situaiton as well, if it hasn't occured yet. As a plus, installing the washers provides a larger surface for the bolts to grab.

With the thread locker and washers together, you should never have a problem.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you for this info!

I'll get an inline fuel filter for it soon.

The muffler has about 6 bolts holding it on on my scooter. I recently took the muffler off in order to remove & replace the rear tire. When I did this, the 2 screws holding the exhaust pipe onto the exhaust port of the engine were loose. I'll recheck them soon to make sure they haven't loosened up again. I'll also keep an eye on the rest of the muffler support bolts.
smile.gif

I was told by a guy working at a cycle shop that he helped someone reach 90,000 miles on a scooter just like mine.

No problem on the info, I figured that might be handy to know for later down the road.

You might also want to check out moS2 such as Lubro-Moly or any of the other makers. It made a quite noticable difference in mine after about 150 miles. Performance is up a little, but coasting is greatly improved as well as mileage being up about 10%. This is in an '09 Ruckus, but might work for you as well.

This additive has been getting a lot of attention lately, so I had to try it. Anything that can reduce friction has to be a good thing if you're trying to get longer life out of an engine.

Anyone know what to do if the muffler issue has already happened? It's only being held by the two bolts going into the engine at this point and i'm afraid it's just gonna fall off while i'm riding it sometime. Any ideas?

make a new mount! fabricate something, or take it to an exhaust shop with a welder that can help build you something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back