Canadians: Where's the cheapest Mobil 3309 (T-IV)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm one of those few that use an aisin-warner transmission and need some Mobil 3309 (JWS 3309/Toyota Type-IV) fluid. I need maybe 12L or 15L for a swap I'm going to do.

I keep reading that our American friends are getting them for L to $9.39CAD/L.

The cheapest I've found is ~$6/L at Canadian Tire of all places, but that's if I buy the $29.99 5L jug of it. Is there anywhere cheaper that stocks this fluid at all?

I just used Castrol Import MV in my sister-in-laws Corolla and it shifts great. It was $4.80 a quart at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Pick some up next time you're partying in Buffalo...

called fucillo toyota just across the border they want $6.97 a quart. Garbage
frown.gif

Autopartsway.ca when they sold it and I added it on to another order to qualify for the free shipping.

Locally, the Toyota dealerships are close in price to autopartsway.ca.

Of places I've check, Canadian Tire is the most expensive.

That said, they are all very similar in price, ranging from about $4.50 per litre cheapest, to about $6 and change for the most expensive.

Originally Posted By: silvert4r
An alternative would be Petro-Canada DuraDrive™ MV Synthetic ATF which is T-IV approved. http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/612.aspx
Contact them to find the nearest dealer
https://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/contact/137.aspx

You can get it for less than $6 per liter if you buy enough, depends on the particular dealer as well.

Fully approved against MERCON®-V (M5080701)

Exceeds JASO 1A requirements

Suitable for use where the following OEM specifications are recommended:
GM: DEXRON®-II, DEXRON-III
Ford: MERCON, MERCON-V

Toyota: T, T-III, T-IV, WS
Honda: Z1
Hyundai/Kia/Mitsubishi: SP-II, SP-III
Nissan: Matic D, J and K
Mercedes Benz: 236.1/.2 /.5 /.6/.7/.9/.10
BMW: 7045E, LA2634, LT71141
VW/Audi: G-052-025-A2, G-052-162-A1
Volvo: 97340

NOT recommended for CVT and DCT transmissions or when a non-friction modified fluid is recommended (e.g. Ford Type F).

Always consult the vehicle owner's manual for specific transmission fluid recommendations

Note the difference in wording used to describe how it meets Mercon V versus being suitable for the other specifications.

May just be an issue of licencing. But then, there is no guarantee that it is 100% compliant with the other specs, just that Petro-Canada feels it is suitable for those specs.

Originally Posted By: weebl
Originally Posted By: silvert4r
An alternative would be Petro-Canada DuraDrive™ MV Synthetic ATF which is T-IV approved. http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/612.aspx
Contact them to find the nearest dealer
https://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/contact/137.aspx

You can get it for less than $6 per liter if you buy enough, depends on the particular dealer as well.

[color:#FF0000]
Note the difference in wording used to describe how it meets Mercon V versus being suitable for the other specifications.

May just be an issue of licencing. But then, there is no guarantee that it is 100% compliant with the other specs, just that Petro-Canada feels it is suitable for those specs.

Many on here have used this with positive results.
I'm sure licensed approval gets expensive

DuraDrive MV -54C pour point vs. -45C for the Mobil 3309
Exceptional low temp fluidity which is ideal for Canadian winters. And they are about the same price

Anyway just throwing out an alternative that is possibly better. I use Amsoil ATF in my T-IV application, which also isn't officially "approved" but performs noticeably better than the factory ATF.

I'm all about value, I know T-IV is a) the approved oil and b) supposed to be the cheapest.

Next time i'm south, I'll make sure I check the dealers and parts stores.

So I'm biting the bullet and going to Canadian tire and buying 3, 5L jugs. I'll just buy a plastic pouring cup to measure out 2L at a time.

Does maxlife not meet these specs as well? .Most canadian walmarts carry it now in 5 liter jugs.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
Does maxlife not meet these specs as well? .Most canadian walmarts carry it now in 5 liter jugs.

On the bottle of Mobil 3309 it says

"Specifically developed (or manufactured?) to meet the needs of specific Aisin-Warner slip-lock something or other...

"Esso ATF 3309 is recommended for use in
transmissions made by Toyota and Aisin-Warner
requiring fluids approved against JWS 3309 or
GM 9986195. Esso ATF 3309 is also
recommended for service fill applications where
Toyota T-IV or T4 is recommended." is what was pulled off the website.

Originally Posted By: hemitom

Not exactly, Maxlife says,
"Recommended for use where the following fluids are specified:
Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V, MERCON® SP and LV
GM DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI
Toyota and Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS
Allison TES 389
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K
Honda and Acura ATF Z-1 (except CVT)
Mercedes NAG-1
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III
Kia SP-II and SP-III"

So, it's recommended by Valvoline for a trans that requires T-IV, but it isn't recommended for JWS-3309...and a recommendation is not the same a meeting a specification...when you consider that Mobil, who makes the JWS-3309 fluid says, "However, the Toyota/Lexus ATF is specifically designed for those vehicles and will provide optimum performance."

Then I would go with the T-IV from the Toyota dealer, I know for certain that it meets the JWS-3309 specification...and the tranny will work as designed...

"Suitable" is NOT the same as Meeting the specs but, it will work. I prefer to get the correct ATF for optimal performance and transmission life. Got to a Toyota dealer is the best option or maybe buy a case of #3309 from a Mobil distributor.

Mobil also says "It is difficult to say whether you would ever feel or see the difference in performance, but the Mobil products will not damage your transmission."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back