1997 Ford Probe GT oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I currently drive a 1997 ford probe gt 2.5L v6 with almost 160k miles. Manual recommends 5w-30 oil no synthetic recommendation. My mother purchased the car with about 100k miles and has ran it with basic bought oil changes/filters. I was given the car with about 150k and first thing I did was drop some 5w-30 Pennzoil ultra because I figured its a 14 year old car with a highish amount of miles put on it to try and clean any sludge and stuff left behind from neglect(a young teenager had the car before my mother so I assume abuse and neglect)

My main reason for posting this was because I want to know if I am doing the right thing. I also was thinking of trying 0w-30 ultra if I can find it. What exactly would this do benefit wise? I changed my oil twice with ultra and a pure one filter nothing out of the ordinary but I also didn't cut open the filter to see if it was filled with grim or not. My car has a k&n air filter system and some aftermarket exhaust setup not sure who makes it though figured I'd throw that in incase its needed lol. I don't beat the car at all I drive 12miles a day to work I also let my car warm up for at least a min or two before I drive.

My second question, my manual says to run 93 octane premium gas, the car runs fine with regular gas but what would I really be losing not running premium? Possible damage or just worse mpg/performance?

With this car being on the old side or the spectrum and a higher amount of miles it runs VERY well, auto shifts buttery smooth in all gears, accelerates fast, only real thing that I notice is its shocks/suspension needs work because over bumps its very rough.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post.

Last edited:
There is no 0W-30 PU yet. If you have done 2 PU oil changes and no leaks I would continue with it. How long did you run each one?

I find it odd that the manual recommends premium gas. I had a 99 Ford Contour 2.5L V6 which I assume is similar to your V6 and it recommended and I ran regular gas.

Bodeh6, I ran each ultra change a little over 4k each since its premium oil. I leak a small amount into my spark plugs when I changed them with dinosaur oil. I have a small valve cover leak I think too.

Its a high performance dohc Mazda mx-5 engine. Ford mated with Mazda lol.

Your 2.5 liter V6 is the Mazda "KL" engine. The same one used in the 626/MX6/Millenia. It will run fine on either regular or premium gas. However using premium "may" yield a slight benefit in HP and MPG, but in my 2.5 V6 i notice no difference.

Ford recommends their Motorcraft Synthetic blend 5w30 for your engine, regardless of temperature. Mazda recommends 5w30 below 98*F and 10w30 above -13*F.

I believe your 97 has hydrolic lifters and may benefit from 5w30 at startup. In 98 the Mazda's switched to a solid lifter set-up.

There should be no problem using synthetic in your engine, assuming the engine has no leaks. Synthetic oil should not 'cause' any leaks but it may make those it may have a little worse.

Having said that, if it were my car i'd likely stick to Motorcraft 5w30 blend. It's cheap, an excellent oil, and is all your engine needs unless you are racing or driving in sub zero temps.

Congrats on the new ride!

If the factory said use 93, they had a good reason.
They bend over backwards to require as little octane as possible.
You may say it's running fine, but I'll bet the knock sensor is retarding ignition timing with regular.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
If the factory said use 93, they had a good reason.
They bend over backwards to require as little octane as possible.
You may say it's running fine, but I'll bet the knock sensor is retarding ignition timing with regular.

I don't know what the Ford manual says but i know my Mazda manual says they "recommend" premium fuel to achieve HP and MPG advertised numbers. They "require" 87 octane. Mazda went through some legal issues regarding their stated HP numbers back a few years ago, so i think this has to do with that.

When the legal and marketing teams get together everything gets muddy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back