2000 Jeep Cherokee with 136K on ODO 6k on G-Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
decided to do an oil analysis for two reason. The coolant very so slightly has been disappearing over the last yr. I got the jeep last Oct, it had 120K. Currently the jeep has 136K. And I wanted to give back to the community. I got a stash of G-Oil to last me 5 oil changes.

My commute consists of me going to work M-F. 14 miles one way total of 28 miles round trip. Takes me anywhere from 25-40min in the mornings and 40-50min in the afternoons. Traffic just horrible. bumper to bumper pretty much everyday. And this summer, Austin Texas has broken the record for most days over 100F. Something like 82-85 days. Just nuts.

but here is the Blackstone lab work.

fa81a848.jpg

this is pretty much my everyday commute. this was taken last yr during the summer.

IMG00053.jpg

Coolant in the oil - not good.

Kinda weak add pack too. Meh. Synpower's the same way but turns in good numbers, FWIW.

You could have the 0331 head, which develops microscopic cracks and leaks coolant into the oil after 90-100k. I had a '99 with that issue.

Choices are to run very short OCIs, about 2k(temporary fix), or replace the head with either a '98 or older or '03 or later.

Look at the head, on the exhaust manifold side. Underneath all the manifolds and intakes you should be able to see the casting #. If it's "0331" it should be replaced.

If you do a search for "0331 head" online you will find lots of documentation.

Last edited:
What is G-oil? The TBN is too low for me to sleep well at night. And then there is the coolant problem. I would say you need to make it a high priority to find the coolant leak into the oil.

Isn't the engine spec'ed for 10W30? My 2001 Jeep GC with 4.0 engine is.

What's with the Yankee fan in Texas? (the Acura in front of you in the picture)

It wouldn't have been as bad under normal circumstances as said previously, but G-Oil definitely is not an extended interval oil. Supposedly it's been reformulated recently though so maybe the next iteration will be better for longer drains. It currently does not warrant it's $26 price tag that's for sure, but for free oil it does the job nicely.

@ Donald: G-Oil is a 5w30 which is suitable for 10w30 use. What's funny is some 10w30 is actually 5w30 but people buy what it says in the manual so they market it as 10w30 (for example Valvoline VR1 synthetic). So if it helps you sleep at night the G-Oil also qualifies as a 10w30.

I sleep pretty well these days since I replaced the engine in my Jeep GC. Sometime this week it should have 6000 miles on it and I will switch to PP and an Amsoil Ea filter. With that in my engine I have pretty much done everything on my end to have the engine last. Did I mention I skipped the MMO?

If you pressurize the cooling system then remove the oil fill cap then look inside with a flashlight you can usualy see the crack. Look towards the rear near the valvespring.

The oil held up surprisingly well considering the driving conditions and coolant intrusion.

I say you either fix the issue ASAP or keep the OCIs short and keep an eye on it via UOA and dump the truck before it gets too bad. Your choice.

I'm sorry, but for 6k, with coolant, those are OUTSTANDING results for a Jeep 4.0!

Those engine are big, old-fashioned iron 'hunks', so to get these results in adverse conditions...go G-Oil!

The G- Oil caused your coolant leak. Just switch back to petroleum based oil and it should fix itself.
wink.gif

Great analysis for wear considering the leak. Get that fixed and you are in business. Looks like the G-Oil UOA's coming in are pretty darn good. It isn't an extended drain oil but 7500mi solid.

Thanks a lot for posting! I have to load up on that stuff!

Originally Posted By: Artem
The oil held up surprisingly well considering the driving conditions and coolant intrusion.

I say you either fix the issue ASAP or keep the OCIs short and keep an eye on it via UOA and dump the truck before it gets too bad. Your choice.

Trying to find a 03+ head. If not I'll just get a Alabama cyl head. Also, forgot to post that I used a K&N oil filter. Right now I got a puralator gold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: puredrive

Trying to find a 03+ head. If not I'll just get a Alabama cyl head. Also, forgot to post that I used a K&N oil filter. Right now I got a puralator gold.
If you can find a 0331 head with TUPY cast into it just below the oil filler that head is the redesigned 0331 head.

My 02 wrangler was built 06-02 and has the TUPY head on it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

If you can find a 0331 head with TUPY cast into it just below the oil filler that head is the redesigned 0331 head.

My 02 wrangler was built 06-02 and has the TUPY head on it.

So far no luck on finding a used cylinder head. Been using car-parts.com to locate it. Gonna call directly to the local salvage yards and see if I get any luck.

I have an Alabama cylinder head on my Cherokee. So far so good.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back