1994 Geo Prizm, 1.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Just made a deal for a really nice Upper Midwest Prizm, with 158k.

Going to change oil, plugs, pcv valve tomorrow....

2 questions.

a. can you point me in the direction of where the PCV valve might be on this engine?

b. Engine is spec'd for 10/30 which surprises me, as I had a 95, and I believe I ran 5/30. I am assuming 5/30 would be acceptable??? First oil change is going to be an orphan bottle of 10/30 PYB SN, and 2.5 quarts of Formula Shell SN.

Thanks for the help.

It's probably going to be attached to the valve cover somewhere. It's either a push-fit or screwed in with a hose attached to it.

5w-30 will work fine in that motor. It's a Toyota motor, isn't it? Today's 5w-30 is better than 10w-30 was in 1995.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Yes, it is a Toyota motor.

It's a Corolla.

It has a Delco radio and might have a Delco alternator, but it's a Toyota.

I'm certain 5W30 will do well in this application.

5-30 would be my choice.
Esp in MN winter. Better for start up.
It's good you are going over the car before winter.
If it moves, lube it. If it is loose, tighten it. If it is broke, fix it.
Get new wiper blades, too.

You can't miss the PCV, it is right on top of the valve cover and you can pull it off with your hand.

It originally spec 10w30 because back in that era 5w30 shear down too fast. I think recently they back spec it to use 5w30 as the newer oil gets better.

I got under the hood today, and yes, the PCV valve is right in plain view. I had mine replaced on a 96 v6 camry, and it definitely was not in plain site.

I don't have documentation on water pump/timing belt replacement, so it will have to be dealt with prior to late fall.

I was in the process of replacing plugs (NGK Copper) yesterday, and when I pulled first plug, was pleasantly surprised to find nearly new NGK platinums in there. I guess I have back up plugs now..... Antifreeze checked to a strong -25, but will probably flush it in early November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back