How to: 2007 Dodge Charger 3.5l Oil Change w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided that on every routine maintenance item that I do I'll log and take pictures of the procedure in order to help others who may not know how to. I myself am not a mechanical expert at all, not even a weekend mechanic, I simply take care of my vehicles and learn along the way how to do different procedures by reading personal accounts. I figured the least I could do is pay it forward.

Step 1: Jack up the car placing the jack at the following symbol behind the front wheels.

DSCN1328.jpg

Step 2: Remove the plastic underbody shield. There are four bolts which hold it in place. You will need a 10mm socket to remove.

DSCN1329.jpg

Step 3: Using a 13mm socket remove the oil drain plug. DO NOT place the catch can directly under the drain plug. Place a little behind the drain plug since initial oil will drain with decent force and will drain with an arch, not directly vertical.

DSCN1332.jpg

DSCN1336.jpg

Step 4: Once the oil has reached a drip every 15-20 seconds or so reinstall drain plug. DO NOT over tighten, it could cause damage and you'll be kicking yourself when you go to remove it the next change and you have to put all of your strength into it. Move the catch pan forward underneath the oil filter. Due to the awkward position of the filter in relation to the oil pan you will most likely need an oil filter wrench to break the filter's seal. Once the seal is broken continue to loosen, to make the process as mess free as possible slowly loosen and wait for some oil to leak out. Let the oil leak out until it stops before completely removing the filter. It should take about 3 minutes for the oil to stop leaking. This time will vary based on whether or not the oil is being changed cold or hot.

DSCN1334.jpg

DSCN1341.jpg

Now comes the fun part! I decided to enroll in Quaker State's repayment program in order to get some cash back when this hits 300k. Since the program calls that I follow manual maintenance intervals and I am under warranty I need to do 3,000 mile/3 month oil changes since I fall under severe duty. Because of this I will be using conventional oil until my warranty expires or I fall under normal driving which ever comes first. When either of these two things occurs I will then be switching over to QS Ultimate Durability and make 6,000 mile/6 month changes.

DSCN1342.jpg

Step 5: Add oil to the new oil filter gasket. This ensures a good seal upon screwing on the oil filter. Simply stick your finger in the fresh oil and drag your finger around the gasket.

DSCN1343.jpg

Step 6: This step is optional. You can add some oil to your new filter before installing.

DSCN1344.jpg

Step 7: Install the new oil filter. When screwing in the new filter, doing by hand is all you need. Once the filter makes contact turn another 1/2-3/4 turn and you'll have a good seal.

Step 8: Refill your crank case with your new oil. The oil cap will be found on the driver side valve cover. You'll notice the oil cap says 10w30 this is the preferred oil for this vehicle, however if temperatures of under 32* are anticipated by your next oil change you can use 5w30.

DSCN1345.jpg

DSCN1346.jpg

Step 9: Once the all the oil has been added, confirm no leaks are present under the vehicle. Start the vehicle (still on jack stands), confirm no leaks appear while running. If no leaks are found then turn off the engine and reinstall the underbody shield.

Step 10: Jack the vehicle up just enough to come off of the jack stand and remove stands. Slowly bring the vehicle back down to level. Repeat on opposite side.

Congratulations on a freshly filled Charger!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Nice write up and great pics!

I'm hoping that with all the product pictures maybe I'll get some free stuff
lol.gif
. Just a thought SOPUS and Purolator
whistle.gif
wink.gif

Nice write up. I always like to remove the filter WHILE the drain plug is out because you will release some more oil back into the pan when filter comes off. So it defeats the purpose of waiting all that time for every last drop to come out.

Also on step 6, I think it is a "must" if you can.

Great write up and pics!

This vehicle looks like a perfect candidate for a longer, larger capacity oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Will you have any warranty issue using 5W-30 when the oil cap says 10W-30?

Manual states that 5w30 is acceptable if temperatures less than 32* are expected before the next oil change so I'm safe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back