Oil Filter Drain Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
DO NOT GET IT! I cannot tell you how awesome this tool is...

Search: Lisle 63600 oil filter remover on AMAZON. This is the smaller one smallest it fits are probably the exact size filters you use. P14610, Mann Ml 1008,. If you need the larger one there is another one. THIS IS THE BEST FILTER REMOVER I KNOW OF. It will free filters that are ready to make you cry.

Last edited:
The Lisle 63600 is for a whole different purpose (removal) than the oil filter drain tool (draining)...

Personally I'd rather use a hammer and nail on the filter than pay $22++ for a tool that I probably can't even get around my filter, and which puts the hole in the side of the filter.

Oops, misunderstood the purpose of the tool. I apologize for the misread. Which way is your filter mounted? On the vertical mounts I just cut a two liter bottle in half use the cap side as a handle and spin the filter off into the bottle. Those side mounts are a PITA, I still make a mess but a few paper towels do just fine. It would take a heck of a lot of OC's to pay for that contraption and it looks like it is made out of plastic. If you like it get it

I actually have the Lisle tool and yes it is awesome. I just hate my Subaru because the filter is mounted vertically where I need to use a socket extension to get to it. When I unscrew it the oil pours all over me...

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
cut a two liter bottle in half use the cap side as a handle and spin the filter off into the bottle.

Awesome tip--thank you!
10.gif

Just have to remember to (try to) keep a grip on the filter, rather than letting it drop into all that oil that's collected in the inverted 2-liter bottle!

Originally Posted By: glum
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
cut a two liter bottle in half use the cap side as a handle and spin the filter off into the bottle.

Awesome tip--thank you!
10.gif

Just have to remember to (try to) keep a grip on the filter, rather than letting it drop into all that oil that's collected in the inverted 2-liter bottle!

That was an awesome tip! I never thought of that...and I just spent the money on that new Pig Form a Funnel!!!

That's a good idea. A big baggie works pretty well too. Grab the filter through the baggie and turn baggie and filter together.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
That's a good idea. A big baggie works pretty well too. Grab the filter through the baggie and turn baggie and filter together.

I save the bags the newspaper comes in for that. The filter on my Jeep can be a bit messy. I get the wrench on it, spin it so I can turn it by hand, then slip a bag over it and remove it. Learned that trick from owning an 87 Buick Century. Oil filter removal was a mess w/o a cut down 2 litre soda bottle or a bag.

Last time I tried using a bag, the bag got wound up and stuck up around the base of the filter. I invented a few curse words before managing to get it free.

LOL I've invented some curses myself over the years. Then once I mastered the little tricks associated with the vehicle I was working on I went back to the tried and true curses that I learned to love.

I bought an oil filter draining tool from LPETools, and really liked it. It punctures the filter from the inside out and I don't have to worry about having hot oil splashed on my hands or face, plus it's cheaper than the side-puncturing band tool.

baru82

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back