Is Anyone familiar with Castrol Tection Extra 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
monglo161 - In some ways I helped to develop this lubricant via an earlier/original version called Enduro LD

With HDEOs I've always found that Delvac keeps engines the cleanest closely followed by Rotella and Delo

Are you saying that you did a lousy job developing this lube Mr. Hillary?

Just Kidding
48.gif

Hi,
chubbs1 - Sadly many "original" Castrol lubricants have been ""refined"" by the BP Conglomerate. Thanks goodness some of their best products (10W-60, some gear lubricants and Transmax Z)remain untouched at this stage

Thanks Doug for your response. I noticed that it is on sale/clearance at a local Auto Parts store and was unfamiliar with the product. Tried to do a search on the product and .....well....you know....nothing came up.

Castrol GTX Diesel isn't bad but, if your looking for a good HDEO oil Premium Blue would be a great choice. Its priced very well and has a but load of certifications cat,international,cummins,detroit,mack you name it.

Originally Posted By: VR1
Its priced very well and has a but load of certifications cat,international,cummins,detroit,mack you name it.

As does Tection Extra....as well as Rotella, Delvac, and Delo. Really most brand name 15w-40 dino diesel oils are so close to each other that IMHO I would just run whatever is on sale/cheapest.

Originally Posted By: dparm
^ That's how I feel. Tection and Delo are sort of the underdogs I suppose.

Yeah Rotella and Delvac are far and away numbers 1 and 2 but I feel Chevron's presence is a regional thing. In the Northeast Rotella pretty much dominates the market but I know when I went cross country once you pass South Dakota it seems like Delo is everywhere...especially in California. Honestly, I was a bit jealous, I do like there stuff. Especially their ELC, closest one to me is over an hour away in Rhode Island.

Last edited:
I used it in my john deere 318 and 316 when I did the mid-summer OCI on em.

Full throttle for 8 hours at a time, air cooled engines. We used 20w50 in the 316 for 8 years now it just gets 15w40 or if its on winter duty 10w30

Not that this is a recommendation since pretty much any modern oil works in those.

I did notice it looked very dark.. must be really dyed? It was nice on the stainless dipstick to see the level after the oil change.

Last edited:
In my experience, and reading here and on TDI forum; you and I won't be able to find a difference between any of the most widely available HDEO's. I usually shop strictly by price when oil changes come due for my diesels. The generator gets the remainder.

Around here in the NE Pensylvania area, Delo can only be found at Autozone, Shell everywhere, Valvoline only at A&A.

Originally Posted By: rufushusky
dparm said:
it seems like Delo is everywhere...especially in California.
I agree. All sorts of rumors around here from truckers saying that Rotella is junk.

I know better.

I'm sure the Casatrol oil is a great oil. I'd use it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: rufushusky
dparm said:
it seems like Delo is everywhere...especially in California.
I agree. All sorts of rumors around here from truckers saying that Rotella is junk.

I know better.

I'm sure the Casatrol oil is a great oil. I'd use it.

I agree! Truckers can be one of the best sources of misinformation I know of.
smile.gif

While I am a Rotella fan, in a true HDEO application I think you'd be real hard pressed to note any tangible difference between any of them.

Well, So far while in Florida, I picked up 5 more Gallons of Castrol Tection, 15W-40, on clearance at Kmart for $9 a Gallon. I'll add this to my stash of 4 Jugs in Coney when I return home.

Why was Kmart clearing out the Diesel Dino oils.....I don't know?

Maybe anything that is in current inventory, for motor oil in Gallon Jugs, is being reduced to clearance.

I plan to mix this Diesel Dino with PCMO on some vehicles again....for a late spring to autumn OCI. The diesel Dino seems to hold up very well in stop and go traffic, short trips and idling times. IMO....it is very Shear resistant and not as easily compromised from fuel dilution as PCMO seem to be in stop and go traffic. So thinning it out with some PCMO, in synthetic or conventional, seems to work just fine for summer heat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back