PCV Valve Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Accent has 37K miles on it now and I have had the maintenance done by the book.

It just dawned on me that I had not yet replaced the PCV valve. I looked it up and Hyundai doesn't even mention it. Generally, when should PCV valves be replaced?

The Ford recommendation used to be 60k miles. That's what it was on my 97 TBird, and my wife's 02 Explorer. Both of those had the 4.6 V8.

I don't know what it is now, as my LS doesn't have a pcv valve.

I went to a place at when my alt hit 30k and I asked about changing the PCV and the manager looked at me like I came from some other planet. He looked in the Nissan log and couldn't find anything 'til 60k.

IMHO a pcv valve is fairly inexpensive to change so I generally change them at 50k intervals.

I replaced mine at 65k on my Sonata because I felt like it. The old one moved freely but it wasn't quite as free as the new one.

I would recommend every 100k miles personally, and doing it more often wont hurt. It's entirely possible you can get away with never replacing it but it's a $10 part that performs a vital function. Some people clean them but I've never had any luck with that.

IHyundai calls for fuel replacement at 52,500 miles so maybe i will lump the PCV valve in with that. It concerns me when I read about sludge issues and the valve comes up as a possible cause. I want these vehicles to last as long as possible.

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
My Accent has 37K miles on it now and I have had the maintenance done by the book.

It just dawned on me that I had not yet replaced the PCV valve. I looked it up and Hyundai doesn't even mention it. Generally, when should PCV valves be replaced?

On my 05 Sonata I have found that if I go beyond 10k miles it starts using oil, so that's when I change it. I bought a bunch on Ebay for a buck a piece!

John

Originally Posted By: John_K
On my 05 Sonata I have found that if I go beyond 10k miles it starts using oil, so that's when I change it. I bought a bunch on Ebay for a buck a piece!

John

Wow that's crazy. Your PCV valve looks similar to the ones in the NF Sonata/MC Accent as well. You were lucky to get them for a buck a piece, I paid $10 for mine and that was the cheapest I could find. I wonder if you received bad PCV valves? It's definitely not normal to have to replace them every 10k, but I can't imagine screwing up manufacturing a PCV valve.

When I changed mine at 65k the car had (and still has) no oil consumption. The old PCV valve was completely fine, most people probably would have put it back in. I figure if it took 60k to get to the point where it's only slightly slower than a new one, then it could easily last 100k.

AT 37k, clean it with solvent and stick it back in.
It may be perfectly clean, however.
If you ever do get a new one, get factory one or the most expensive replacement you can. Spend the extra $1.50 - trust me.

The first time I asked my mechanic to change the PCV valve on the LS400 was couple years ago when the car had more than 230k miles, he said no need to change. He removed the PCV valve, he shook it and show me it was as clean as it can be, because I already bought a replacement he installed the new one. Lesson learned: PCV valve can lasted forever on some cars.

IHyundai calls for fuel replacement at 52,500 miles so maybe i will lump the PCV valve in with that. It concerns me when I read about sludge issues and the valve comes up as a possible cause. I want these vehicles to last as long as possible.

wish my car could go 52k mi before replacing fuel.

Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey

My bad, I meant fuel filter.

Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey

My bad, I meant fuel filter.

i was thinking about getting a hyundai after your comment!

My PCV valve on my Pathfinder is still original at 127.8k miles, because it's buried under the upper and lower intake manifold collectors. I will be replacing it soon, at the cost of four new gaskets, the PCV valve itself (OEM - I would never cheap out on a part buried so deep) and several hours of time. I am not having any oil consumption or driveability issues, but just got my rear main seal replaced and I've read on this forum that a bad PCV valve may contribute to causing an RMS leak, and either way it's nearly 130k miles used by now...

I do them around 60K, they usually still rattle and look ok, but it is such a critical piece and so easy to change.

Except for the Audi, it's whole PCV system was toast and disintigrating by 45K. I think I needed about $800 in parts to get it back to working order. I should have paid the dealer the $600 in labor that they quoted me instead of wasting two days doing it myself. It would have been well worth it. Jet pumps, gray check valves, black check valves, I'm still not sure it ever worked right.

A PCV valve is especially an important item to know the maintenance recommendations & service history relating to each separate vehicle. Don't go cheap, if possible; especially in 'difficult to reach' PCV valve locations. A 'half-decent' replacement is still better than a non-functioning one. Sometimes cleaning up the original may buy yourself time, but it's impossible to get the spring inside to work/function completely like an unused/unstressed part.

Also, I'd imagine one of the most critical areas of a PCV valve causing issues is during extended OCIs; especially in older cars or one's that were previously neglected and have lots of blow-by/deposits(let alone sludge or the leadings to it). Which, from some observations I'd imagine a few can attest to saying it 'could' be a 'contributing factor/aspect' to a vehicle that consumes oil or even does have signs leading towards sludge. Usually there is a domino effect, if the PCV valve is part of that in some way; it's an easy "CHECK" item for the price while you make sure no other running/performance issues that 'could' be related to this are present.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back