Kel Tec PF-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Ive been heavily debating a PF-9 for many months. I have a Ruger LCP for my light clothing carry and a Kel Tec P11 for the non summer time. I absolutely LOVE subcompact pistols and I'd like a full time replacement for the both of them being the PF-9 with a parkerized finish. This isnt a debate on other pistols other than a PF-9. Other pocket 9mm's are just a more expensive copy of it anyway (LC9
mad.gif
). If anyone has experience or owns one please give me any input. I love my P11 and I feel more comfortable with 9 than a 380 but the P11 is somewhat uncomfortable and the blued frame is highly prone to rust. Good pistol though. Thanks in advance.

A buddy of mine had one and loved everything but the blued finish. +1 on the parkerized finish. He carried it everywhere. He shot mostly Winchester White Box and other cheap ammo, but he did shoot +P in it effectively. He even got ahold of some reloads that were really hot. The PF9 shot it but jammed as the load was so hot that upon ejection it bent the casing of the next round. He even shot the firing pin out of it. He called Keltec and they sent him a new one, put it in and it went bang. However, shortly after this he sold it and got a S&W J-Frame. I'm not sure if he didn't trust it anymore or just wanted something different. This was back in the spring and now he wants another Keltec. Around here, I'd wouldn't put anymore than $275 in the parderized finish but where the market is in your place may be different.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I carry a PF-9 and recommend it.

Have tried all types of ammo without issue.

What type of holster do you use? I cant imagine it would work in the pocket very good.

I had a PF9 and initially loved it. I purchased it when the model was relatively new to the market, early 2007.

The size and weight were perfect for my needs. I bought a neoprene Uncle Mike's ITP holster for carry and it fit like a glove. On the range, it was about as accurate as something that small could possibly be expected, and suited my needs for short-distance targets.

Fast forward about three years and perhaps 2000-2500 rounds of ammo (for the record, I never used any "cheap" or off-brand ammo in it). This pistol was not abused, but one day when disassembling it for cleaning, the rear sight basically crumbled off in my hand. Perhaps it had a bunch of hairline fractures; I am not sure because it was too late by the time it broke. A friend of mine got me a replacement rear sight and I was happy.

Then about two months later, I was on the range and had a strange sort of jam. This pistol had never misbehaved before and the slide was suddenly stuck in an odd position after it ejected and then began to travel forward to chamber the next round. I cleared it and inspected it. For lack of a better way to explain, the piece of the metal frame right behind the hammer had broken off. I am guessing it was caused by the hammer traveling back with enough force, enough times, to eventually break that piece. That was the end of my KelTec experience, I did not end up replacing the PF9.

My buddy had a few universal, nylon inside-the-waist holsters and didn't like them. The one he wore most was a Fobus paddle on the outside. He said it was slim enough that when he wore a shirt untucked, it was covered and wore very close to his belt that it didn't get in the way when wearing.

Again, he sold his, but wants another so take it as you may.

I decided to get the PF-9. I drove by a gun store I had never seen before and stopped in to find they had plenty of these guns. All my local ones are always out of stock. Anyway I got a new pistol black frame hard chrome slide for $280. My favorite store down the street wants $350 for the version that has the blued rusty slide. I may have found my new store.

I have had a PF9 for a couple of years and have carried it on walks in my rear jeans pocket or sometimes just in my hand if in a remote area. Just yesterday I bought an in the pocket holster by Blackhawk, believe it or not at a Wal-Mart Super Center. It is size #3 and fits perfect. It was only $10. I wore it around that day and I kept almost forgeting it was in my pocket. Also, mine has never jamed but I have not shot it a real lot. I have used some +P Remmington Gold Dots and they functioned well. I had heard that they jammmed so before I bought mine I called the factory and asked about it and the Kel-Tec guy told me to make sure I bought one after a certain serial # so I did. Sorry but I don't remember the #.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back