Ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure this is a repost.

It isn't about the technology, it is about how it was implemented that needs review.

Look at Brazil for a better implementer.

I'm not an ethanol fanboy, I prefer high octane pure gasoline.

However, E-85 does perform better in my F150 flex fuel 5.4L, but, that's in roasting hot, S. Florida. Where the cooling effect of alcohol is a known power booster. Not to mention the extra octane in my high compression 5.4L.

One thing to consider, that the linked article completely misses. It's possible to produce an ethanol engine that reaches the thermal efficiency of a modern diesel. But, it cannot run on straight gasoline due to the very high compression ratio and high manifold pressures.

What this means is simply that it's possible to use ethanol much more efficiently. That simple fact does not change the energy content of the fuel, so the EROI numbers remain what they are. BUT, the crop to wheel numbers are much improved.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-01-26-ethanol26_ST_N.htm

http://www.greencarcongress.com/ethanol/index.html

Here is a very interesting result:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010/11/bromberg-20101101.html#more

I'm not going to debate policy, but the one excerpt that made me laugh was "...with the real facts of the damage ethanol can do to gas-powered motors..."

I was running E85 in my '88 VW Vanagon for about 6000 miles, till I moved to a part of the country where it is generally unavailable. (nearest station about 100 miles away that carries it.) The engine seems to run much better with ethanol, though cold starting can be more difficult in cold weather.

The engine shows no sign of damage. My friend (and mechanic) has an '85 Vanagon and has put about 70K miles or so running either E85 or homebrew 194 proof hydrous ethanol.

Daryle W. B.
'88 Vanagon - 5w-30 G-oil
'99 Subaru Impreza - 5w-30 Royal Purple

I think the ethanol causes internal engine damage "thing" has been soundly debunked. It does not.

However, my JD tractor just caught fire today. The fuel tank started leaking, the fuel ran down the frame and dripped on the exhaust. It was not long before I smelled smoke and saw small flames. Good thing I was able to put it out right away with the water hose. And that the fire did not travel back to the leaking tank. Yes, a water hose will put out a small gasoline fire.

The ethanol is responsible for deterioration of the rubber seals and hence the leak. Can I send a repair bill to the EPA?

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I think the ethanol causes internal engine damage "thing" has been soundly debunked. It does not.

However, my JD tractor just caught fire today. The fuel tank started leaking, the fuel ran down the frame and dripped on the exhaust. It was not long before I smelled smoke and saw small flames. Good thing I was able to put it out right away with the water hose. And that the fire did not travel back to the leaking tank. Yes, a water hose will put out a small gasoline fire.

The ethanol is responsible for deterioration of the rubber seals and hence the leak. Can I send a repair bill to the EPA?

Does it matter than internal engine damage doesn't occur if the whole fuel system is deteriorated? To most I suspect not.

i have said this before, and i will say it agen. gasoline has been around for well over 100 years, and it just keeps doing a good job. yes i know its been changed over and over. and it still does a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back