2000 Camry 5S-FE, extended OCI, and sludge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy has a 2000 Camry with a whooping 200,000 miles on it.

I dunno what he rain in that thing before, but we did an engine flush and put Amsoil in it. He'd like to extend the intervals so he's going for 15k miles, but he also doesn't feel like investing in UOA.

The 5S-FE is supposedly prone to sludge though, and after 8,000 miles he consumed just under half a quart, which I don't think is too bad.

His compression also seemed pretty good, I have to re-check it because the cheap Autozone kit broke but it read 180 PSI on the one cylinder I was able to test.

We took his valve cover off, and it was fine. Some varnish and stains, but nothing bad.

Does anyone know more about the 5S-FE and these supposed sludge problems? Anyone have any experience doing extended oil changes?

Thanks

I'm guessing you're talking about the 4 cylinder. yes, sludge problem from 1997-2001 in that car/engine combo. But I also have a friend who's brother is pretty high up at Lexus and her dad is pretty well up there at Amsoil... so she always drives Lexis's and Camry's and also runs Amsoil SSO. extended OCI's (10-15k+) and puts well over 200k on them.

I believe the sludge problem was a combination of elevated engine temps for emissions and perhaps PCV related. you should be able to search and find more info

Yes sir, the 5S-FE is the 4 cylinder.

I tried doing some research on this but it was hard finding anything. What I did find agreed with what you say, being PCV related.

I was hoping there was a fix, maybe a mod I could do to his car, but found nothing...

This might sound really stupid but I have to ask...

I know that sludge is usually isolated somewhere in the engine, or in multiple places, but is it possible to draw an oil sample from the dip stick for a Used Oil Analysis and detect a higher likely of the oil producing sludge?

Which number would be the best indicator that the oil may be allowing sludge to form if I do draw a sample?

If you think there is sludge take the valve cover off. UOA will not show sludge unless the oil IS sludge. I would not recommend long OCI's in cars with high mileage with documented sludge problems. Just keep it at 4-5k with a name brand conventional. It will run until the body rusts off.

Our 5SFE camry is currently at 220k. It burns no oil but leaks a couple drops every drive. Nothing too serious though. The first 130k were on vwb 5w30, after that synthetic. The dino oci's were 3-4k.

I pulled the valve cover at i think around 170k, and found some varnish, but no sludge.

Originally Posted By: dakota99
The first 130k were on vwb 5w30, after that synthetic. The dino oci's were 3-4k.

I pulled the valve cover at i think around 170k, and found some varnish, but no sludge.

What were the synthetic OCI's?

I forgot to add: The 4th spark plug tube had a bit (ok maybe a lot) of oil in it. This is why we took off the valve cover. Changed the gasket as well as the tube gaskets on the top.

We got the same engine and I use Maxlife 5-30 in it for over a year with 4k OCI's.

If you use Amsoil, use an Amsoil EaO oil filter with it if you're going that long, or just stick wih 7-8k OCI's...

Change that PCV on occasion also!

Also the proper way to extend an OCI is 2-3 incremental steps especially with Amsoil. Amsoils cleaning power will loosen all kinds of sludge, varnish, etc. built up over time. You don't want that for 15k.

I drive the same car with only ~134k miles on it. Though, 15k miles OCI seems a bit too much. I used to just do 3-4k OCI for Dino, ~5k for maxlife blend, and 7-8k for synthetic oil.

Now I only drive ~6k miles/yr. So I just use the cheapest synthetic oil and change my oil once a year. Also, remember to change the PCV every 60k miles.

Originally Posted By: xantonin
Does the PCV really need to be changed? Couldn't I just clean it out and then put it back on?

their not that expensive, just put on a new one. Then you know it`s good. But get a Nappa,or carqust etc. I wouldnt get from Auto-zone or the like.

I would get the PCV valve from Toyota, they are not an expensive part.
The PCV is CRITICAL in keeping the inside of the motor clean as it pulls out a lot of bad combustion by products, etc.
Since you are putting Amsoil oil and maybe filter on, you don't seem to have an issue with paying a bit more for a better product.

Since you had the valve cover off and it is not sludged up, then you are in good shape. Note that Amsoil lists their new Ea15 filter for Toyota vehicles indicating a 15K maximum and not their 25K.
I don' thave any experience with Extended OCI, so I have no advice there.
If you want to have a used oil test done, it is very easy to do.
I used Blackstone Labs, they will send you a sample bottle and mailing kit for FREE with complete instructions.
You can return it through the mail (USPS)and they will give you the results by email quickly as well as mailing them to you.
Last I saw, it cost around $40 to have the test run.

I have the 1MZFE V6 in my 2003 Sienna, it is in good shape, but it is 1 year out of the "gelling" years for that motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back