Ranger 4.0 Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker, first time poster!

I recently bought a 2000 Ford Ranger. It has 135,000 miles on a 4.0L v6. The thing runs pretty smoothly, and the engine compartment is virtually spotless, no gunk that I can see through the filler cap or dirt/grime/debris anywhere; it appears to have been very well maintained, I think by the dealer, judging by the OCI sticker in the windshield.

My morning commute is 6 miles of highway driving in Northeast Wisconsin, with about a 24-mile-per-day average, all highway. Being in the north, winters are cold and snowy, and summers are very temperate. Recommended OCI is 5,000 miles with conventional 5w-30. Oh, and I am a pretty conservative driver, for sure!

In my last vehicle, I always used major brand synthetics paired with Fram's Extended Guard filters, with an 8,000mile OCI, as recommended by Pontiac.

Other than a longer OCI, will there be any real benefits for using a synthetic with a high-end filter? I am considering the Amsoil lineup all around, or maybe a WIX filter with the off-the-shelf synthetic.

If I go with dino oil, is there an advantage to using a high-mileage formula over, say PYB? Also, Peak is ALWAYS "on sale" at Autozone, or wherever. is this decent oil? I am generally a big believer in you get what you pay for.

Thanks!

I am going to say Mobil 1 HM 10w-30. SL rated oil. I run it and like it. Many people here recommend it. Plenty of talk about it here on BITOG. $25.00 5qts walmart. Second thought would be the Mobil 1 HM 5W-30. I guess it gets a little cold up there! Not a major concern here in NC.....

Last edited:
Castrol Edge 5W-30, or Penz Ultra 5W-30.

Maybe even a 5W-20 for the cold weather there.

I have been using Castrol Edge ( gold bottle) for a couple of years now, changing every 7 months.

Originally Posted By: Nightmare
Castrol Edge 5W-30, or Penz Ultra 5W-30.

Maybe even a 5W-20 for the cold weather there.

I have been using Castrol Edge ( gold bottle) for a couple of years now, changing every 7 months.

5w20 is not recommended in the Ford 4.0L engine...the oil pump, supposedly, cannot keep pressure up with that weight of oil.

I am headed northward to Wisconsin later today for a visit and am from there.

That said I would recommend 0W30 synthetic. The WIX, or Mobil 1 filter would be my choice.

I had a 99 Ranger with the 4.0 and Had good luck with the Mobil One and I kept with the weight recommended for the engine by Ford. Mine had the wrist pin noise and that oil almost silenced it. I got rid of the truck after 2 years. Hope you got a good one. Loved the truck just not the engine.

That should have the older 4.0 engine good torque.. no power above about 4500rpm, A much different engine than the 4.0 SOHC. The older one is more of a "truck" engine.
Stick with a 30weight.. this is one of the only engines ford didnt backspec to 5w20... for a reason.

I'd definitely go 5w30(or 0w30) for the winter. you could use 10w30 in the other 3 seasons. if you wanted.

Last edited:
My buddy had a 2001 Ranger with the 4.0L. Great truck and he ran Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in it with a Motorcraft filter. He sold the truck with almost 200k on it and it still ran great. He did lots of long trips in the truck and with the motorcraft filter and synthetic oil the extended oil changes worked well.

For what its worth we put a cold air intake and dynomax exhaust on the truck and it really helped it breathe better. The truck saw some power gains and better mpg.

I know its closer to a 40w, but I've been using german castrol (0w-30) in my wifes 96 explorer and it loves the stuff. She has 123,000miles on it now and it doesn't seem to use any of the gc between oil changes.

Cast Iron OHV...I wish someone still made them!
My 98 does well on Quaker HM 10w-30, or any SOPUS
5w-30 in really cold weather. Zero problems
with 116,000 miles.

I would not go above a 5w30 for the winters and becuase the summers dont see alot of heat youd be good year round with a 5w30...if you go synthetic though you may as well do a 0w30 for winters to help cold starts...I reccomend the High Mileage oils they have worked well in my truck for lots of miles now and you can get Quaker State HM for under 15.00 at WM for 5 qts. Pair it up with a Supertech filter and HM oil change for under 18.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back