Scion Tires (Few Choices 195/60/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister needs to buy new tires and called me asking for opinions. Of course I checked out tirerack.com but besides the two dedicated snow tires there were only two choices to look at in the 195/60/16.

Do you guys know of any other tires in this size besides the Bridgestone Turanza EL-400 or the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 and do you have any experience with either of these. I know she has one of the two currently (waiting for her to call and tell me which one) and apparently she is down to the wear bars with only 35K on her 2009 Scion XD so at any rate she probably won't buy the current tire on the car.

Also, what are your thoughts on up sizing to a 205/60/16 there are a lot more options and the tire size in minimal at about .5" or less?

She lives in OK as well so we see everything from blizzards to triple digit summers and will need a good all season tire.

I haven't looked at the load ratings so I don't know if it will work. What about 205/55/16?

I have the Dunlop SP5000's on my Protege5 and she'll probably get the same sort of life out of those.

I think they are a great tire when it comes to performance. Not long lasting and pricy compared to a standard performance tire. Welcome to the world of low profile tires on everyday cars.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I haven't looked at the load ratings so I don't know if it will work. What about 205/55/16?

I have the Dunlop SP5000's on my Protege5 and she'll probably get the same sort of life out of those.

I think they are a great tire when it comes to performance. Not long lasting and pricy compared to a standard performance tire. Welcome to the world of low profile tires on everyday cars.

+1 go with a similar +0 sizing

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: javacontour

That's what the recommended up size would be from TireRack I guess I was just thinking 205/60/16. Oh, and the Dunlop 5000 is what she has now.

Anyone have any suggestions for a 205/55/16? The original tire is Ultra Perfomance All Season. I'm not very familiar with car tires should she stick with an UP All Season, Grand Touring All Season, Standard All Season or does it matter? I'm just thinking with the original tire size there are no tires with a tread life warranty so if she upsizes she could spend the same amount and get a tire with a 60-80K tread life warranty.

Last edited:
there are 163 tires in that size
my stepmom loves the conti dws

They are fairly amazing in the snow too for an all season

106$ each

Looks like the manufacturers of that size are pretty proud of their offerings as well!

Yeah, I'd go with 205/60R16 or 205/55R16, depending on fender gaps, whether you'd rather go a little taller or shorter on the sidewall, and tire selection. There are far more options in the 205/55R16.

It's too bad 195/60R16 isn't more common. They'd be perfect for the 6" wide rims on my mother's Sunfire, and would take a little more out of the enormous fender gaps.

That size came on my 05 Sentra. Back then, I only had the OEM Firestones or Michelin somethings to choose from. I upgraded to 205/55/16's. Like Rand just posted. You have a very large selection in that size!

With.5" or less in overall tire diameter is her speedo going to even change much at all?

Also between the current dunlops and the Continentals in 205/55/16 there is an increase of .5" in section width. Do you think a .5" is worth worrying about for tire clearance and any rubbing issues?

Okay so I'm thinking the Michelin Primacy MXV4 may be her best option in 205/55/16. They are running a buy 3 get 1 free at the dealership.

What kind of gas mileage hit to you think she'll take going from a UTQG of 340AA to 620AA? Also, the new tire will be 2lbs heavier per tire and .5" wider. But the Michelin has a 60K warranty and the stock Dunlops don't have any warranty.

There is a bigger difference from a bald to a new tire than the difference she will see.

ie a bald tire is slightly smaller.. and no tread squirm etc(less resistance) so you will think your mpg tanked by 5% or so when you get a brand new one. when its most likely 1-3% if you throw in the fact that you are going farther per revolution.

Now in your case with the slightly different tire size it makes it more complicated. Also you cant compare UTOG ratings between manufacturers.

TO summarize.. I'd say no mpg hit or
but real mpg and Apparent mpg are different things.

you can also find a LRR tire (maybe that one is?) if that is a major criteria for purchase.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RichardSenn
With.5" or less in overall tire diameter is her speedo going to even change much at all?

Also between the current dunlops and the Continentals in 205/55/16 there is an increase of .5" in section width. Do you think a .5" is worth worrying about for tire clearance and any rubbing issues?

Speedometer will read 1 or 2% low.

With such a minor width increase, along with a small decrease in diameter, I wouldn't worry about clearance, especially if TireRack says that size is okay. For more significant upsizing, you'd want to check vehicle-specific forums or measure the clearance yourself.

Without rolling resistance data, we don't have enough information to make any accurate predictions about fuel economy. I wouldn't expect any noticeable difference, especially once the new ones are worn down to the level of the current tires.

We like the Continental DWS's on the Fit. They work well in the wet and dry. It has snow tires, so we don't know how they'll do in the snow.

Like is being recommended, we went with a +0 size on it. No issues to report after a summer driving on them.

I realize this thread is a few years old. I had a Scion XD so I want to share my experiences.

Kumho just recently introduced their Ecsta PA31 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...romCompare1=yes in a 195/60/16. Also, Yokohama has the Avid Ascend in the 195/60 for a couple of years.

Even with those new choices the 195/60/16 is still very limited in selection. A great option is 215/55/16 which is very close in diameter as the 195/60. There is a nice selection in the 215/55/16 size.

I tried the 205/55/16 and found the smaller sidewall to harsh for the XD's short wheelbase and rough riding nature. I changed over to the 215/55 and found it made a noticeable difference smoothing out the Scion's rough ride characteristics. I would think the 205/60/16 would also provide a comfortable ride.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3for3
I tried the 205/55/16 and found the smaller sidewall to harsh for the XD's short wheelbase and rough riding nature. I changed over to the 215/55 and found it made a noticeable difference smoothing out the Scion's rough ride characteristics.

The difference in sidewall height between the two is 5.5mm. I seriously doubt that would make a noticeable difference. However, the specific tire model used certainly could, even in the same size.

Originally Posted By: RichardSenn
My sister needs to buy new tires and called me asking for opinions. Of course I checked out tirerack.com but besides the two dedicated snow tires there were only two choices to look at in the 195/60/16.

Do you guys know of any other tires in this size besides the Bridgestone Turanza EL-400 or the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 and do you have any experience with either of these. I know she has one of the two currently (waiting for her to call and tell me which one) and apparently she is down to the wear bars with only 35K on her 2009 Scion XD so at any rate she probably won't buy the current tire on the car.

Also, what are your thoughts on up sizing to a 205/60/16 there are a lot more options and the tire size in minimal at about .5" or less?

She lives in OK as well so we see everything from blizzards to triple digit summers and will need a good all season tire.

I have the Bridgestones EL-400s as OEM on my wife's Subaru. They are noisy,poor wearing (almost gone at 32K miles). I wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back