Redline vs Motul for older Mercedes-Benz V8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1994 Mercedes-Benz 5.0L V8 DOHC

I have just completed a cleaning cycle with Rotella T6 5W40 and I want to move on to something better. My OCI will be 5k miles or six months.

The choice is between Redline 5W40 and Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40 since both are readily available in my area.

The Redline is a bit heavier oil but the HTHS numbers really jumped out at me.
Redline 4.6
Motul 3.7

Should I read much into this? How can they be so different?

The Motul PDS doesn't mention SAPS but for this old engine I think a full-SAPS oil would be better, right?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=3&pcid=21
http://www.motul-oil.co.uk/pdfs/synthetic-engine-oil/8100_X-cess_5W-40_(GB).pdf

Suggestions?

How about just using M1 0w-40?

The Redline was formulated for racing/track situations, expected to handle very high oil temps under those conditions, hence the very high HT/HS. For a street-driven vehicle, it's say it's overkill.

And at 5K miles/6 month OCI, the Rotella T6 would work just fine as well. I doubt you'll see much benefit running any of the other oils mentioned.

Redline's 5w40 is very heavy for its grade, as you can tell from the HTHS being 4.6 (making it almost a 50-weight).

You can certainly continue using the Rotella, but I would give the nod to the Motul for being slightly thinner. I doubt your car needs something as thick as the Redline 5w40. If anything, run the Redline 0w40 or 5w30.

Thanks for the replies.

My car has a factory-installed oil cooler so even during aggressive driving the oil won't go over ~225F.

Perhaps the Redline 5W40 is more of a race oil than I need.

Any reason not to use the Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40? I am not worried about the cost, I just want great protection.

I am sure M1 0W40 is a fine oil but I am not a M1 fan. Silly but true.

Use something that meets some kind of Mercedes spec, does Motul? I have never even seen this oil.

Don't go to heavy on an M119 you will blow the oil bridge caps off. Than you have to change them and its a PITA.

X-cess 5w40:

STANDARDS ACEA A3 / B4 API SM / CF
APPROVALS BMW LL-01
GM-Opel LL B-025 (Diesel)
MB-Approval 229.5
Porsche A40
Renault RN0700
Renault RN0710
VW 502 00 – 505 00
PERFORMANCES FIAT 9.55535-H2, FIAT 9.55535-M2, FIAT 9.55535-N

What's wrong with the T-6? Great oil, inexpensive (relatively), and in the correct/recommended visco for that vintage...of course, looking at my sig, you can see what I chose...

red line 5w40 is a diesel oil (listed on red line product sheet) it only has 100ppm moly.you might want to use red line 10w40 it has 950ppm moly....i just checked on this today with red line.also 15w40 is a diesel oil too with only 50ppm moly

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: typ901
is this the infamous Porsche developed 500E by chance?

It is, hence my desire to find the right oil to keep this special machine alive for years to come.

That is very interesting info re the Redline 5W40 and 10W40. It sounds like the 10W40 is certainly the way to go when choosing Redline, although as someone noted this engine might not need (or like) very heavy oil. It just somehow seems wrong to use a 30WT oil in this old lump!

I have read great things about the Rotella T6 5W40 and I used it in my old Land Cruiser but I wanted a Group IV or Ester oil for this car.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: ringmaster
Originally Posted By: typ901
is this the infamous Porsche developed 500E by chance?

It is, hence my desire to find the right oil to keep this special machine alive for years to come.

That is very interesting info re the Redline 5W40 and 10W40. It sounds like the 10W40 is certainly the way to go when choosing Redline, although as someone noted this engine might not need (or like) very heavy oil. It just somehow seems wrong to use a 30WT oil in this old lump!

I have read great things about the Rotella T6 5W40 and I used it in my old Land Cruiser but I wanted a Group IV or Ester oil for this car.

Thoughts?

Out of the Red Line products, I think their 0W-40 or 5W-30 (HTHS of 4.0 and 3.8 respectively) would be the better choices. They both also have the full dose of moly.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Out of the Red Line products, I think their 0W-40 or 5W-30 (HTHS of 4.0 and 3.8 respectively) would be the better choices. They both also have the full dose of moly.

Thank you.

Does their 0W40 has as much moly as their 10W40, or at least close to?

Thank you.

Does their 0W40 has as much moly as their 10W40, or at least close to?

Yep, same amount from what Dave has said.

Silly question after we've come this far but what Group/base stock are these Redline oils? I need to find out about the Motul 8100 X-cess too!

Silly question after we've come this far but what Group/base stock are these Redline oils? I need to find out about the Motul 8100 X-cess too!

RL uses Group V polyol ester base stocks with some PAO in the mix, they won't tell exact percentages.

From what I've seen Motul doesn't say anything about what type of ester(s) they are using in their ester-based oils.

Redline is Group V (esters)

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
red line 5w40 is a diesel oil (listed on red line product sheet) it only has 100ppm moly.you might want to use red line 10w40 it has 950ppm moly....i just checked on this today with red line.also 15w40 is a diesel oil too with only 50ppm moly

To say it's a diesel oil (diesel only) is a bit misleading. Every 5w40 is a diesel oil then. Most 5w40s are mixed-fleet oils.

Additional applications:
VW 505.00/505.01/502.00/500.00
MB 229.1/229.3/229.5/228.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back