Suggestions from experience ( truck tires )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys , I would like your suggestions on a good tire for my chevy silverado z71 extended cab. I tow a bass boat and 6000 lb camper and mild very occasional off road , boat ramps etc.I want one with a good ride and as least road noise as possible , but like an AT tire. I had BF Goodrich AT KO on my 99 z71 reg cab that did the above very well , but beat me to death as far as ride went , they were E rated though. Thanks for any suggestions.The truck is a 2007 , 5.3 engine , and 270 65 17 size tires.

I liked my Firestone Destination AT tires for the money so much, that when I traded my old truck, I bought a new set of the same for the newer truck.

(It came with highway tread tires which have no business being on a 4x4 pickup, in my opinion.)

How about Consumer Reports #1 pick and one of the few American designed and manufactured products - the Cooper Discoverer AT3.

The Firestone Destination A/T or Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo have both worked well for me in pickup truck applications.

As far as ride quality goes, no need for an "E" rated tire on a 1/2 ton truck, but it sounds like you already found that out the hard way...

I put a set of Michelin LTX's on my 3/4 ton Dodge a couple months ago. I was surprised at how quiet they are, and they also handle well when loaded, unloaded and pulling a 5000# trailer.

The thing that probably surprised me the most was the near silent road noise from the tires-they're without a doubt the quietest tire I've ever owned on a car or pickup.

We have a fleet and the Michelin LTX MS2's are running over 60k miles on 9000 pound vans! Almost triple the original Bridgestones!

They are one of the cheapest tires to own, and their performance does not deteriorate with age like many tires.

Quote:
I liked my Firestone Destination AT tires for the money....
Same here.

Cooper's newly developed tires are interesting. I like the CS4's I put on the car, and the A/T3 for the truck look very interesting. A friend that the Dean version of this tire, and they look like they'll do a good job for him.

I replaced the Bridgestone Dueler Revos with BF Goodrich Long Tour T/A tires. The Duelers were worn and hard at ~31,000 miles and I was never impressed with them in the snow or wet roads. I went through this past winter with the BF Goodrich's and they were great in the snow, fantastic on wet roads and they are MUCH quieter than the Duelers ever were.

Whimsey

The Long Trails will get to be louder as they wear out. Have a set on my '04 F150 that is at the end of the line before winter and they have the same roar I got from Duelers before when they were worn out in other uses. This set lasted just over 45,000 miles, per the previous owners receipts. A little low for a supposed 60k mile tire.

I see lots of thoughts on the Michelin LTX MS2s and other all season type tires. If noise is the be all, end all, the go with the Michelins or other all season tire. If you want all terrain looks, be prepared for some more noise, but I haven't noticed it with the Destination A/Ts I have in other applications.

I run bridgestone revo's on my 2500 dodge cummins load range E, but on your truck, load range C is more appropriate. Great highway riding tire while still providing superb traction.

Had firestone destination a/t's on my company truck....didn't like them as well.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
The Long Trails will get to be louder as they wear out. Have a set on my '04 F150 that is at the end of the line before winter and they have the same roar I got from Duelers before when they were worn out in other uses. This set lasted just over 45,000 miles, per the previous owners receipts. A little low for a supposed 60k mile tire.

I see lots of thoughts on the Michelin LTX MS2s and other all season type tires. If noise is the be all, end all, the go with the Michelins or other all season tire. If you want all terrain looks, be prepared for some more noise, but I haven't noticed it with the Destination A/Ts I have in other applications.

Are your's the older Long Trail tires? I understand the newer Long Trail Tour T/A's are a much better tire than the old Long Trail tires. My Brigestone Dueler Revo's got real noisey less than 10,000 miles into their life and lost their traction in wet and snow. Hopefully the newer Dueler Revo 2 ones are better.

Whimsey

I have around 25k on my Revos with 7-8/32nds still left. Best tire I've ever had. Bar none. I don't see snow. Wet weather has been good. Hard to slip them. Not too loud for an A/T. It'll be my choice until they retire the model.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: MNgopher

Are your's the older Long Trail tires? I understand the newer Long Trail Tour T/A's are a much better tire than the old Long Trail tires. My Brigestone Dueler Revo's got real noisey less than 10,000 miles into their life and lost their traction in wet and snow. Hopefully the newer Dueler Revo 2 ones are better.

Whimsey

I put on a set of the new BFG Longtrail T/A Tour on the Nitro in early spring......fantatsic tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back