Q about Diesel engine oil ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if my manual calls for CF-4, is CG-4, CH-4, CI-4, CI-4 PLUS, and CJ-4 ok? I'm wondering if it's like auto ratings like SM is more refined and supercedes SL for instance?

It's for a Kubota 3 cyl diesel.

In further searching to clear it up, I find this on the kubota service faq:

I can't find diesel engine oil-rated 10W30. Can I use 15W40?

Yes, many of our customers use 15W40 engine oil in their Kubota diesels. Just make sure whatever oil you use has an API rating of CF or higher. (DO NOT USE CJ-4)

Originally Posted By: mh2800
So if my manual calls for CF-4, is CG-4, CH-4, CI-4, CI-4 PLUS, and CJ-4 ok? I'm wondering if it's like auto ratings like SM is more refined and supercedes SL for instance?

No. Different categories of the "C" standards represent different standards for diesels. They do not necessarily supercede each other. However, over the years, standards get outdated along with diesel technology and what's on the market. CF-4 & CG-4 are obsoleted.

Shell Rotella T5 has a 10w30 version, and you'll be fine using it.
http://www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/products/t5/

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: mh2800

No. Different categories of the "C" standards represent different standards for diesels. They do not necessarily supercede each other. However, over the years, standards get outdated along with diesel technology and what's on the market. CF-4 & CG-4 are obsoleted.

Shell Rotella T5 has a 10w30 version, and you'll be fine using it.
http://www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/products/t5/

I saw that at Walmart last night, I'm still a bit lost here; it states that it meets CJ-4 but I'm cautioned not to use that.

eek.gif

you won't find anything CF-4 anymore, because API cancelled that standard.

So, whomever cautioned you not to use CJ-4, what was their rationale?

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
you won't find anything CF-4 anymore, because API cancelled that standard.

So, whomever cautioned you not to use CJ-4, what was their rationale?

I happened to see the same thing when assisting a friend choose oil for his Kubota, as well. I told him to basically ignore their nonsense unless he wants to go on a wild goose chase through various bulk suppliers across the countryside to look for old oil with superseded specs.

Kubota, for all the nice equipment they make, sure come up with some strange, contrived, and contradictory lubricant requirements.

Most synthetic passenger car motor oils, such as the Mobil 1 series, carry the old CF diesel ratings as well as their gasoline SL or SM ratings. So I suppose you could use one of these safely in your Kubota.

But I wouldn't do it myself, not as long as I could find a "proper" diesel motor oil. I have three Japanese diesel engines, and they all get Chevron Delo 10W-30 or 15W-40.

+1 on taking the the manufacturer's recommendations with a grain of salt. look how long it took B$S to recommend synthetic oils for winter use.

Looks like I'll just pick up the Rotella T5 jug then. They do make it confusing, they are similarly confusing with the grease but not quite as much. As least I could settle on Moly EP for the whole tractor, FEL and MMM.

thanks!

I have a pretty new kubota 3 cylinder generator. The cj4 warning has been rescinded IIRC, or at least it is not in my manual. My manual also allows for 5w40 now, although that little tidbit is hidden in the troubleshooting section. Rotella will be just fine.

Please correct me if I am wrong (as I know their are more experienced "lube-fashion-istas" out there). All the diesel oils that are easily available will be rated for the new 2007 and later over the road trucks. But off the road diesels still can access the older more robust diesel oils, but you have to do the homework and footwork.
Here in Los Angeles, I found a truck stop oil change facility that carries the Mobil Delvac MX. This oil does not carry the CJ-s rating but carries the CI-4+ rating. Possibly, this is what you may be looking for and I wonder if most of the large refiners (Exxon-Mobil, Shell, Chevron, etc) carry the off the road lubes but make it available only thru distributors.
Finally, Napa carries Valvolines All Fleet Plus which, if I recall, is of the older diesel rating (CI-4+ vs CJ-4).
Hope this helps, Bill.

You found Delvac MX in California? Strict as California is about emissions, I'm surprised it's legal to sell the stuff. I've been trying to find DMX in Michigan, and the only place I can find it is at a distributor 70 miles from my home.

Valvoline's equivalent CI4+ oil is Premium Blue Classic. It is only available in 5-gallon pails, but NAPA can order it for you.

Note, a lot of Japanese (and also Euro) tell you not to use higher than CF-4, and offer to void the warranty if you do so.

Leaves you with PCMO oils (which do pretty fine), or specific oils such as Delo CXJ which is a CF-4, designed for Japanese engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back