3m do it yourself tune up kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used it before and it does a pretty good job cleaning things up. Not sure what you are expecting it to do for you. It will not work any miracles or "FIX" anything but it does a good job as just a good intake cleanup and throttle body cleaner. Watch out with the throttle body cleaner bottle because it does shoot out pretty hard and it does not last long. But I guess that is for getting rid of the stubborn dirt with higher pressure. Does do a good job though. If you are removing the throttle body to clean it or even if you are cleaning it on the car give it a squirt of that stuff and let it sit for a few minutes before going to town on it. Give it a chance to loosen up the dirt.

im not wondering if its going to "fix" anything. just a good clean/tune up. which is what i figured it would do. i havent actually looked at the throttle body it. i really dont know how dirty it is. im in the process of replacing the spark plugs, replacing all the fluids etc.. so i thought i would throw this in.

I use it before, it works good, you can feel the throttle response is more responsive and engine does less ping. The best is to follow-up with Redline SI-1 maintenance dose, and what i learnt my car works best with reduced maintenance dose (1.5 oz for 12-15 gallon of fuel).

Yes do this on the old spark plugs because let's face it there will be plenty of dirt going into the engine and running real rich while you drown it. You do not want to do that to your new plugs. So as long as you understand it is not fixing anything then it should give you good results. Does a pretty good job cleaning. I usually had many brands on the shelf to work with, when I had to work on a truly filthy one this was the stuff I used.

Originally Posted By: 71Chevyguy
Yes do this on the old spark plugs because let's face it there will be plenty of dirt going into the engine and running real rich while you drown it. You do not want to do that to your new plugs. So as long as you understand it is not fixing anything then it should give you good results. Does a pretty good job cleaning. I usually had many brands on the shelf to work with, when I had to work on a truly filthy one this was the stuff I used.

well houston we have a problem. i guess i should have worded it differantly. i have already changed my plugs a month or so ago.. so i shouldnt use this? also im thinking this is not a direct injection engine. so, hopefully, im not going to have the gunk/carbon build up on the intake/valves like a direct injection engine is prone to, correct? i normally use a good cleaner every oil change (either lucas, techron etc..) and use shell gas. so am i wasting my time with this? thanks guys

Not really wasting your time because it does not have to be DI to have gunk in it. The PCV system usually breathes through the intake and leaves oil deposits all over the place. Since no fuel actually travels through the intake it can really build up over time. You will probably be amazed at what you find in there. IT really will not foul your new plugs or anything just that if you had not already change them I would personally prefer to run the gunk through the old ones. No harm done though, they will clean themselves up after a nice long highway run. You will not do any harm by cleaning your intake and you may notice the car run better, smoother and can get better fuel economy if it really was gunked up in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back