98 Jeep Cherokee 4.0, ticking and oil/filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 98 XJ has 215K on it. I am dealing with the usual 4.0l lifter noise. I am sure many will ask if it is, or could be, something else other than the lifters and I can only say this: It could easily be something else but what I am sure of is that when inspecting with a stethiscope it is loudest at the valve cover, the exhaust manifold is cracked and makes a different tick, the injectors have their own noise, and there is an emissions solenoid that has its own noise as well. I will only be discussing what I am calling "lifter noise/tick".

15K ago there was little to no tick at all. It fist appeared when I changed the oil from quicklube 5w-30 and generic filter to delvac 15W-40 with a puralator PUREone filter (PH8A size instead of stock size, all filter specs checked out exactly the same except size,,, maybe a bad idea?). I hoped on BITOG and found some posts about the PUREone filter being to restrictive, or something else, and causing "lifter noise" in other 4.0l Jeeps. I switched to a NAPA gold and the noise went away.

The last oil change was done about 6K ago with Royal Purple 15W-40 and matching filter (ph8a size). Ever since I have had considerable "lifter noise/tick". I have had no choice but to ignore this until now but I have time to think/deal with it now so I thought I would see if anyone had any thought or experience with this. I was thinking about finding a decent 10w-30 and using a napa gold filter and sticking with it. I bought the purple off a friend for $20 who sold his vehicle before he could use it and I had been wanting to try it. The only other thing I can think of to add is that I have also done a AutoRX treatment and rinse with the generic 10w-30 dino. No noise before or after the treatment but there is no more sludge when I pull the valve cover so it definitely loosened up some [censored]... maybe this caused some issues?

What oil and filter do you think I should be using. I would like to get the ticking back to almost nothing like 6k ago but I find so much conflicting info on what is a good oil and filter for this motor. Some say it has to be something special because it is a flat tappet, some say to run a HDEO, some say NEVER EVER EVER run anything other than 5w-30 or 10w-30, some say 15w-40 is ideal, some say it used to be but not with current oils, and many other opinions! Sorry for the long post and thank you for the help!

haha I know the feeling, i have a 4.0L jeep also. Everything from viscosity to ZDDP levels is all so heavily debated with the I6 4.0 we have.

IMO a 15w-40 is too thick on start up. you said the purolator was too restrictive for oil but maybe the oil is just too thick for the filter, think of it reversed. The problem started with a 15w-40, so why not go back to what worked before...a 10w-30

does your tick go away or lesson once the oil is hot?
I would try a thinner oil.

I personally run Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 and so far have good results.
you may not want synthetic
you could also try rotella t5 10w-30 thats a syn blend.

bottom line is your 4.0L has 215k miles on it, shes gonna sound like a tractor haha

If it was me, I would try the rotella t5 10w-30 and see what that does.

Rotella T5 10w-30! Thats so funny, I just made myself a note, before I checked for replies, that it seems like the general concensous with 4.0 owners and the best UOA's all pointed towards this oil.

I will pick some up tomorrow

I was actually thinking the same thing about the oil being to thick. Especially since the delvac only ticked with a PUREone filter and stopped with a napa gold and then got worse with the purple oil and filter (which may be like the PUREone).

Their great tractor motors though! LOL!

What about filters. Does everyone like the NAPA gold? Is the "PH8A" size a good move or should I stick with the stock size. According to the 4 or 5 filter manufacturers I checked they are the exact same specs (thread, seal I.D. & O.D., anti-drainback valve, bypass valve spring pressure, etc.) as the recommended filter for the 4.0 only its twice the size. I have heard some say that the mopar filter is the best to use but for the price I personally think the NAPA gold is a great filter and is not so efficient that it causes flow issues.

Also, does anyone think this could have caused much permanent damage. The ticking has gotten worse as the OCI gets up there. Maybe the filter is getting a little full and the oil a little thicker, there has been no make up and it has not burned a drop. I will update tomorrow after the change to T5 and maybe NAPA gold.

Oh, and winters here average 20-30 deg with the absolute extreme being 0, maybe a few below.... Should I stick with 10w-30 or go with 5w-30. I was thinking that this temp would not be cold enough for 5w-30, especially with the high mileage.

My caprice has an annoying lifter tick when running a 40wt that is cured by switching to a5w30.

Its seems like there are a few advantages of running the bigger oil filter.

More oil capacity (i have read that it ups the count from 6 to 6.5 quartz for the 4.0L in wranglers) which kinda seems like a pain considering I buy oil by the gallon and 2 gallons gets me 2 left over quartz so next time i just buy a gallon.

Larger filtration area, which means it should last longer or atleast be more resistant to clogging since theres so much more surface area for oil to flow.

Its also might be higher flow as your looking to get since theres more filter surface area for oil to pass threw.

I do short OCIs of 3-4k so Im going to stick with the stock size.
If i bought my oil in 1 quart containers i would consider it.

PLUS, napa gold is made by wix and i only hear good things about them.

Im running a purolator PureOne myself.

Last edited:
I've gone through the same thing on 3 different 4.0s. A 1990 Cherokee, my previous 2000 Cherokee, and now my current 2000 Cherokee. The best I have found is Rotella T5 10w30 or T6 5w40 with a good filter such as Napa gold or Purolator. Running too thick of an oil seems to make it worse as well as too thin of an oil. I've run 5w30 in the summer and it ticked. The Rotella seems just right. 4.0s will do just fine on any oil, but the different weights seem to change how much noise they make.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back