Tires for my truck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its new tire time, my POS OEM General's are just about done at 25k miles, I'm at or near the wear bars on all of them.

Firestone is running a gift card deal until the end of the month so here are my choices: (out the door prices, including alignment, disposal, etc.)

Firestone Destination AT, 663.08.
Dueler H/L Alenza, $843.08. (minus a $100 gift card I get back via mail)
Dueler A/T Revo 2, 855.08 (-$100 gift card)
Michelin LTX A/T 2, 902.48.

So I'm kind of leaning towards the Destination's since they have a 50k tread life rating, and an 8.7 rating on Tirerack. My truck is 2wd and I do take it off road on job sites a bit, I would prefer to have something with a bit more bite on the rears.

The Michelin is my favorite tire of the bunch. It is also expensive. I had a set of the Firestone Destination A/T's installed on my Toyota Tacoma and they were fantastic. They are also afordable. I highly recommend them. They have lots of grip.

The Michelin would be my first choice. I have a set on my truck right now and get a really good ride from them. You might look into the Cooper Discoverers from that link of MoparMonkey's. They are highly rated and usually have a better sidewall rating than most others in case you haul/tow anything, and cost the same or less than Goodyear or Firestone. Worth looking into if you have a good dealer nearby. I have had several sets of the Coopers over the years, and all had long road life and good ride to boot. I will probably put them on my truck as a replacement in the future.

Last edited:
Just understand that the LTX MS2's will likely WAY outlast any other choice you make.

They only seem expensive.

Plus their performance doesn't nose dive with tread wear.

The LTX M/S2s that others have recommended are fantastic, but if you need 2WD traction from the rear axle of your truck, they may not be aggressive enough if you encounter sand or mud. If you find yourself getting stuck or spinning a lot with your current tires, I don't think I'd put on something like the Bridgestone H/L Alenza or the Michelin LTX M/S2. We had the Destination A/T on a previous work truck and they were very good. If I needed non-road traction from a 2WD truck, something like that tire is probably would I would recommend.

Or the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO, if those are available. Those would win out over all of your other choices I think.

I know my choice. I'd choose those Revos first, Destination A/Ts second.

I love my Revos. No way would I change them for anything else. You'll take a small hit in MPG, but to me it is completely worth the benefits.

With your description of usage, I'd look at the Firestone Destination AT's or the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2. If you had not mentioned the off road usage, I would also cast a vote for the Michelins you mentioned. Just think the Destination or Revo will give you the off road "bite" you are looking for. I'd steer clear of the Alenzas for the same reason.

We run a truck here at work with the Destination AT's in the back and the original non descript street tires in the front. It does well in most conditions, and very rarely has to be put in 4wd to get out of situations.

For the:
Michelin LTX M/S 2 I'm looking at $947.80

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO $959.80.

Problem with the Michelin's is they are E rated so they are going to ride like [censored] on a 1/2 ton truck, and the BF Goodrich's are great tires but I think on a 2wd truck they are a bit overkill and expensive. Also again E rated.

I want something a bit more knobby on the rear end since I do drive on dirt job sites often enough. Still leaning toward the Destination AT's, bang for the buck they seem pretty good. They are supposedly a 50k mile tire which is better than the 25k miles I have on my shot Generals now.

Last edited:
245/70/17

I see they do make them none E rated but I can't find them online, so I'll have to go into the shop and see if they can get them.

Last edited:
Yeah I know Tirerack has them, but I don't want to order them from Tirerack because every installer around here rapes you if you do. I used to order tires from them but its to much of a hassle these days.

Plus I need an alignment so once I figure that all in I'm over a G note. I'm going to see if Townfair tire can get them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Yeah I know Tirerack has them, but I don't want to order them from Tirerack because every installer around here rapes you if you do. I used to order tires from them but its to much of a hassle these days.

Plus I need an alignment so once I figure that all in I'm over a G note. I'm going to see if Townfair tire can get them tomorrow.

If you have a Ford dealer local to you, their prices can't be beat.

Really? I didn't even think of that, I'll head down to the local Ford dealer too and see what they offer.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Just understand that the LTX MS2's will likely WAY outlast any other choice you make.

They only seem expensive.

Plus their performance doesn't nose dive with tread wear.

+1

They just keep going...

Well lets do a cents per mile comparison.

Lets say the Destinations only last 40k, that's .017 cents per mile.

If the LTX MS2's last 60k miles that's .016 cents per mile.

The LTX's need the $70 rebate Michelin was offering to really push the numbers in their favor.

Last edited:
If you want a "knobbier" tire for off road work, then I wouldn't even bother looking at the Michelins. Even Michelin markets them as an All-Season tire.

I am not knocking the Michelins in any way - they are an excellent tire, and are priced accordingly. Just not sure they meet the OP's requirements.

Similarly, if we were looking at an all street usage, I'd throw my vote to the Michelins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back