2004 Duramax, 8038 on VPBE, 102k on Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
04_Duramax.jpg

that's how my uoa looked like on my truck. Everything fine except for lead. They claimed metal overlay on the main and rod bearings. I showed 14ppm after 6000 miles. I'm thinking it was a piece of dirt that got in there. It doesn't surprise me since I can't get out of my neighborhood without going through a dust cloud from all the construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the OLM was on just under 20% when I submitted the sample. I had been doing 6k OCI up until this last one and decided to see if I could stretch it out a bit.

I would not say the Pb is worth worring about in this report. I'd say at least 8k or perhaps 10k is doable for your OCI.

For reference, here's my last UOA on dino 10w-30; look at my Pb.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2323660&page=1
They didn't even mention it at all in my report, and I was at 5ppm in 6.5k miles. We're essentially the same on a "per mile" basis for Pb wear. I absolutely flogged my rig this summer, and ran it down to 80% sump capacity, and still got good wear results. Your wear is very similar to mine. Your wear is very similar to most of us with a Dmax.

One UOA with numbers this benign are nothing to worry about. To really know how your engine is doing, you need several UOAs in a row, done with consistency, including OCI duration and brand/grade, etc. 6ppm of Pb in your report is 100% higher than the "universal average" of 3ppm, but it still is so low it's not worth putting any worry into. Wear metals are fluid numbers; they move up and down a bit from UOA to UOA, even in the "best" of engines with the "best" of oils.

The upside to a Blackstone UOA is that you get a sense of personal interest because a human interacts with your UOA and gives comments.
The downside to a Blackstone UOA is that you get a sense of bewilderment when a human interacts with your UOA and gives comments ...
So you're averaging .75ppm / 1k miles for Pb, and I'm averaging .76ppm / 1k miles. Why did they recommend for you to change oil at 8k miles, but said I could continue? I'll tell you why; subjective viewpoint. Here's my subjective view; you can go a lot further on that oil; I suspect a particle streak caused the Pb. You paid a pretty shiny penny (I suspect) for the VPBE; I'd stretch out the OCI as far as I could to try and get the ROI. Otherwise, you're wasting money, and should consider dino fluids.

The thing to know about a Dmax is that it simply does not care what oil is in the sump as long as it's a properly spec'd HDEO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back