Liqui-Moly Synthoil Longtime 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only LL-98 and 229.3 for a 0W-30 is pretty sad.

People need to stop looking for oils that are rare in NA for the sake of having a cool BITOG sig and realize that there isn't anything better anywhere than M1 0W-40 for European vehicles regardless of price. A LiquiMoly or Motul doesn't have even close to the resources of XOM to develop products, nor do they have the level of development through high-level motorsport like F1 and LeMans, nor the highest level of endorsement of being used as factory-fill and years and millions of hours of OEM development from top engine mfrs like Porsche, Mercedes, Nissan (GT-R), Honda (HT-06), Toyota (LF-A) etc. And then there's 5qt+filter for $30 vs. $11/qt.

The lubrication aspect of the oil and especially uoa forums here are becoming increasingly frustrating to even browse. Let em eat cake I guess..

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro

People need to stop looking for oils that are rare in NA for the sake of having a cool BITOG sig and realize that there isn't anything better anywhere than M1 0W-40 for European vehicles regardless of price. A LiquiMoly or Motul doesn't have even close to the resources of XOM to develop products, nor do they have the level of development through high-level motorsport like F1 and LeMans, nor the highest level of endorsement of being used as factory-fill and years and millions of hours of OEM development from top engine mfrs like Porsche, Mercedes, Nissan (GT-R), Honda (HT-06), Toyota (LF-A) etc. And then there's 5qt+filter for $30 vs. $11/qt.

The lubrication aspect of the oil and especially uoa forums here are becoming increasingly frustrating to even browse. Let em eat cake I guess..

+1

I been saying the same thing. Euro snobs! I would put Chevron Surpreme Synthetic 5W-40 or Kendall Synthetic GT-1 5W-40 against most Euro made, Euro spec oils. Why pay over $10.00 a liter when you have great US made prodcuts for half the price?

The product is recommended for the manufacturer specifications listed. It officially meets API SM/CF and ACEA A3-04/B4-04.

Getting approvals is an expensive task, and Liqui-Moly are more focused on their Group III products, such as Leictlauf High Tech 5W-40, which meets all the newest European manufacturer specifications, as well as ACEA A3-04/B4-08 and API SN/CF. Their full synthetic range has been neglected somewhat, although I suppose that has something to do with the popularity of Group III products in Europe now.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag

+1

I been saying the same thing. Euro snobs! I would put Chevron Surpreme Synthetic 5W-40 or Kendall Synthetic GT-1 5W-40 against most Euro made, Euro spec oils. Why pay over $10.00 a liter when you have great US made prodcuts for half the price?

I can understand that if you said European made, but challenging European specifications for a European car that calls for a specific manufacturer specification? Why buy a European car in the first place then? API SN is a terrible comparison to even older Euro manufacturer specs the LL-98 and 229.3.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I would put Chevron Surpreme Synthetic 5W-40 or Kendall Synthetic GT-1 5W-40 against most Euro made, Euro spec oils. Why pay over $10.00 a liter when you have great US made prodcuts for half the price?

Where do you find Chevron 5w-40 for $5/qt?

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS[quote=Finklejag

I can understand that if you said European made, but challenging European specifications for a European car that calls for a specific manufacturer specification? Why buy a European car in the first place then? API SN is a terrible comparison to even older Euro manufacturer specs the LL-98 and 229.3.

Both of those US made oils meet the Euro Specs such as BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, VW 502, and Porsche A40.

I can pick up Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-40 for $5.50 a quart at my local Chevron distributor.

I know all about M1 0w40, you don't need to sell me on it. I am interested merely because it's a lesser-known oil and I have a curious mind.

M1 0w40 is not the end-all, be-all of oils.

+1

I have a Napa nearby that stocks an entire selection of Lubro Moly (Liqui Moly):

IIRC, most can be had for $36 or so for a gallon, so $9/Quart and it's about 12 miles away from me. I go by there for the MoS2, I'll see if they have this oil there next time.

EDIT: 5w-30 Longtime is $7.99/Liter.

Last edited:
That's Longtime Plus, a totally different oil. NAPA does not carry normal "Longtime" at all.

I did see Longtime Plus as 0w-30 available 'at warehouse', but here was another available in store at a local Napa:

https://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=AORLM2038_0290960906

Longtime High Tech?

In case the link doesn't work, the 'standards' it states to meet:

ACEA A3-04/B4-04/C3-04
BMW Longlife-04
Ford WSS-M2C 917-A
MB 229.31 / 229.51
VW 502.00 / 505.00 / 505.02
BMW Longlife-98

Last edited:
Their director of R&D responded to my question.

Our Synthoil HighTech is based on group IV (PAO) and it is shear stable. For your car I would recommend Synthoil High Tech 5W-40.

If this 5w-30 at my Napa is the "same" product, I'd be willing to try it.

987498.jpg

Last edited:
"Synthese-technology"? I guess marketing people are the same all around the world. In North America, it's perfectly fine to call Group III/III+ synthetic. Since that isn't the case in Germany, they invent words, instead?

What a party pooper!
I agree M1 0W-40 is the benchmark from which to compare any heavy
30wt, light 40wt oil. But three cheers to dparm for constantly looking at oil options. It keeps things interesting and if some formulator comes up with something special it is members like dparm that will be the first to let us know. At the very least it does confirm how good a product like M1 0W-40 is, particularly considering it's price States side.

North of the border and elsewhere in the world it's not such a great value and we have a number of less expensive oils to choose from including:
Mobil Delvac Eleet 222 0W-30
ESSO XD-3 0W-30
ESSO XD-3 0W-40
Shell Rotella T5 full syn 0W-40
Shell Rotella T5 0W-30
Petro-Canada Duron 0W-30

No it's not the same. Synthetic Technology means its dino oil or a blend modified to display properties like a synthetic, second tier oil in their program.

Not the same, but it's still a good oil. The Liqui-Moly website lists it as "synthetic technology" so it is a group 3. The other is "fully synthetic" so group IV/V.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Their director of R&D responded to my question.
Our Synthoil HighTech is based on group IV (PAO) and it is shear stable. For your car I would recommend Synthoil High Tech 5W-40.

The 5W-40 is not a high VI oil with it's 170 VI and we don't know what the HTHS vis' is.
The Synthoil Energy 0W-40 is more interesting with it's 181 VI but again we don't know the HTHS vis'.

Synthoil Energy 0w40 has HTHS of 3.6. Bob Fout just sent a virgin sample to Blackstone, actually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Synthoil Energy 0w40 has HTHS of 3.6. Bob Fout just sent a virgin sample to Blackstone, actually.

VOA won't tell us HTHS though.

How do we know the HTHS vis of the 0W-40 is 3.6cP?
Assuming that is the case it's not that impressive in light of it's high KV100 of 14cSt. Compared to M1 0W-40, the answer is no thanks.

The 0W-30 remains quite interesting particularly if it can be had for $8/qt shipped to the door.

BTW what is the moly level of these oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back