Is this lead substitute ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh anointed ones! I use Redline Lead Substitute in my 70 Lincoln Mk III w/460 engine. It has 10:1 compression and I run Chevron Premium exclusively. It has the original valve seats, that's why I use the stuff.

Please take a look at these tech specs
link to pdf

- from there I don't know exactly the question, something along the lines of "should I be using this stuff?" "Is it bad for my engine?" "I'm a BITOGER wanna be, so I just want to know everything about everything!"

Have a nice day!

I thought the need for a Lead substitute was now considered a non issue.
Under 'normal road use' conditions I have never actually seen a case of VSR weather a lead substitute was used or not.

read his post closer
wink.gif
He's dosing a 1970 vehicle
smile.gif
I assume in those days they still had leaded gasoline....so he's looking for something to keep the fuel system up to par....

Personally, I'd go with MMO; 4 oz. per 10 gallons; and it's not too expensive. My mother runs MMO in each tank of her 71 VW Beetle, and no fuel related problems to speak of.

Wasn't '71 the cutoff for motors requiring leaded?

Personally I'd stick with the redline. While Marvel may provide top end lube how do you find the optimum dosage to prevent guide wear? Doesn't Turtle Wax, owners of MMO, make the CD-2 lead substitute product?

Originally Posted By: ahoier
read his post closer
wink.gif
smile.gif
I assume in those days they still had leaded gasoline....so he's looking for something to keep the fuel system up to par....

Personally, I'd go with MMO; 4 oz. per 10 gallons; and it's not too expensive. My mother runs MMO in each tank of her 71 VW Beetle, and no fuel related problems to speak of.

Yes, I did see that.
I have had a lot to do with British cars, Lead was not phased out in the U.K. until the late 80's, and there has been much written (and a lot of testing) on engines that did not have hardened valve seats over there.
Yes, CD2 is inexpensive, and is said to work as well (in the real world) as other Lead substitutes. But then MANY people claim (as do I, speaking from personal experience) That (for street use) Lead substitute wards off a threat that just does not exist!

Last edited:
I've taken apart engines from as late as 73 that still didn't have hardened inserts installed. The only valve seat recession I've encountered was on engines with previous valve grinding done. The original "seat" area was flame-hardened and getting a seat ground removes this. I'd recommend a lead substitute for daily or hard driven cars from that era, but not on seldom driven collector cars.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
read his post closer
wink.gif
smile.gif

What would MMO achieve in place of lead substitute? Correct me if Im wrong but leaded fuel was only for prevention of valve seat wear.

I used to drive Fords back in those days==the Cougar was sold in 1989 and the Mustang more recently:

70 Cougar 351C-4V bad case of VSR even though I used MMO in the gas. I believe it had 10.75:1 CR and the MMO caused A LOT of knocking, so much the timing had to be retarded which had a real negative impact on performance 138?K miles

67 Mustang 289-2V 2 cases of VSR-finally had staked seats put in. Used MMO as well 143K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back