2005 Aveo problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom and step dad have an 05 Aveo that they purchased new. It has the 1.6 Ecotec and auto trans, car has approx 50,000 on the clock. History of the car is that oil was changed between 3 and 5k and anything else was replaced as it went bad basically. About a year ago it threw the timing belt and the valves, head, and belt was changed under warrenty by dealership. 6 months ago I changed the plugs, air filter, and oil.

Now that thats out of the way. Day before yesterday they are on their way back home from somewhere and the "hold" and "CEL" started blinking and car began running rough. My step dad pulled off the road and shut the car down and had it towed back to their house. I stopped in after work last night and took it to AZ and had codes read, and code P0300 pops up. This is the only code. So its a random multiple cylinder misfire (no kidding right lol). I see no arcing from spark plug wire, I am yet to pull plugs. When touching vacuum lines I noticed that they are real brittle and crumbly, but I cant hear air anywhere and I do hear sucking when I pull each line off. Other problems could be the coil pack, EGR, high/low fuel pressure (filter is going to be checked tonight), and injectors.

I am of the mind that all 4 injectors wont go out at once and if one does go it will cause 1 cylinder misfire, same with plugs and wires, which leaves the coil and EGR. Anything else to check for? Am I totally off base and how would I check/test some of these things? All I am working with besides tools for test equipment is a multimeter and a prayer. I appreciate any help that can be offered. If this was my car I would test and have no problem replacing a part/sensor whatever, and if that wasnt the whole problem, move on to the next. My folks do not have money like this though, and my car would be in my driveway and not an hour away. TIA again.

If it has a MAF sensor, you can unplug the connector for it and if that makes the engine run smooth again, it means the sensor is bad. That's an easy 1 second test.

You have most of the causes down. Not sure if you know about http://www.obd-codes.com/ but it's a good website. It lists possible causes as:

Faulty spark plugs or wires
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector(s)
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
Faulty camshaft position sensor
Defective computer

Spark plugs or wires would by far be the most common. You can also generally tell what other issues the car may have by inspecting the spark plugs. Wires would be rare for a 6 year old car, but it's a GM product so anything is possible. Coil, oxygen sensor, fuel injector, burned exhaust valve, faulty catalytic converter, defective computer would also be very rare for a 6 year old car. Faulty camshaft position sensor is rare but not unheard of on a 6 year old car.

Stuck EGR valve/blocked EGR passages would be something I would expect as a possible culprit. A stuck EGR valve/blocked EGR passage would cause the car to run rough. I would tell you how to troubleshoot it but I'm just going to say go ahead and google it, it's a very common problem with GM automobiles. All you need to test the EGR system is a multimeter.

Definitely check the spark plugs first!

Thanks guys. I wanted to get the car to AZ to have the code pulled before spending too much time wizzing around with it without knowing what I am looking for, as I live 1.5 hours from work and 1 of those hours are the distance from mi casa to the parents casa. I will pull the plugs this afternoon when I get off and try to read the story they have written on them. I did watch the wires and coil for a few minutes after coming back from AZ as it was dark and no light show to be seen. I bought some vacuum line this morning to replace some of the ones I pulled last night that crumbled. I will also pull the fuel filter and see what kind of goodies would be in there, as well as google and testing the EGR. Another tidbit I forgot to put in my original post is that my step dad has been complaining of declining MPGs for the past few months which was the reason for the plug and air filter change, this I beleive also points to EGR. I am at a loss here as I dont really have the time (although I would enjoy) to play the cat and mouse game with this one as the time and distance factors are playing hardball.

Plug wires can cause that. Especially if the plug wires are marginal, they can work one second and not the next. There's the random part.

A faulty coil pack could also cause this. How are the coils set up on the 1.6 Ecotec? Is it coil on plug or what?

Originally Posted By: hemitom
Oxygen sensor.

An O2 sensor will not cause the car to run like this. I've had plenty of bad O2 sensors and if anything, The gas mileage wasn't as good.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Plug wires can cause that. Especially if the plug wires are marginal, they can work one second and not the next. There's the random part.

A faulty coil pack could also cause this. How are the coils set up on the 1.6 Ecotec? Is it coil on plug or what?

Its a coil pack. Car also has no fuel filter, just a screen on pump like my Ram.

Your mistaken. i have had two cars with misfire codes. guess what both were bad 02 sensors. Op also stated drop in fuel mileage as well as misfire.

Last edited:
Random misfire seems a lot more like a vacuum leak than something ignition related.

If you're finding brittle lines, replace them all. Also pull off any intake boots and closely inspect them for cracks.

To me, it sounds like something on the intake broke and it letting in unmetered air.

Have they noticed that the gas mileage has dropped lately?

This is a very, very common problem in the BMW community...

He has noticed a drop in mileage, this was the reason for changing the spark plugs a few months back. We opted not to replace the wires as they were replaced when the dealership replaced the head when the timing belt broke and were all new. I pulled each spark plug and they all looked great, no oil, fouling or abnormal. I went through all of the vacuum lines and none were leaking, the 2 I broke yesterday evening was replaced.

I went through all the sensors unpluging them while the car ran, and the only change was when I unplugged the knock sensor the car stopped. No change in idle when unplugging the o2,TPS, MAP, or the other one on the breather hose (its not a MAF, I thought so too but everywhere I read says this car doesnt have a MAF.)

The EGR valve stays with the plunger in at all times. I checked it before even cranking it today to see if it was stuck, it moved freely. It came to rest in the "in" position. I started the car and felt it at idle as well as blipping the throttle and it stayed in. It also stayed in after the car warmed up,again at idle and while blipping or holding the throttle. The valve itself seems okay and moves freely. It is connected to some sort of actuator though that appears to not want to move aside from me forcing it down. Im not sure if it is supposed to do this, but while checking it out with the car running I tried to pull it down. This did nothing for the way the car was running, and I could feel it trying to suck itself back into the in position.

This is about as far as I got tonight and honestly have no other ideas besides maybe the EGR situation.

Car has 46,xxx on it as it sits. I looked at the paperwork last night, the belt broke just inside of the 3-35,000 warranty at 34,189.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back