Scented fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: N4cer
Just wondering if an alternative works or not because there's a market for it that I'd love to capitalize on.

Told you about Smokey's oil of wintergreen...

but if you are going to capitalise, what's your testing and insurance budget ?

I'm not going to weigh in on whether it's a good notion or a bad one. I will note, however, that the exhaust odours we smell today are a lot milder (and with less tar - is this a cigarette ad?) than we had back in the 1970s. Diesels have improved by a major factor, too. It's not like pedestrians are choking and tearing up at intersections, like they would at the staging area for top fuel dragsters.

If there wasn't a market for it in the 1970s, would there be a market for it now? Most cars have particulate filters or climate control that automatically recirculates upon detecting certain vapours. Between that and emissions laws, the general trend I see is cleaning up the exhaust gases or minimizing contact with them, not covering them up with pretty smells. Deodorant is not a substitute for a shower, after all.

Guess we can close this one. The OP apparently got a PM about his behaviour. And since he can't be insulting, he isn't posting now.

That's speculation on my part.

exhaust-burger-1.jpg

exhaust-burger-2.jpg

I think most people were a bit harsh on the guy.

He asked about a substitute for an expensive product and was given attitude.It seemed he was looking into making a profit with a less expensive product in a very small niche market.He should have been a bit less juvenile in some of his postings but only 1 or 2 people actually answered his question.The rest were attack mails.

As one poster on the board has pointed out...it's ironic that a forum about lubrication is so rough/fractious.

In fairness to those who were against the OP's idea, do recall why we're here. We don't tend to approve of snake oil, and we certainly will call someone out on the carpet for a questionable product.

A scenting product for gasoline may or may not be harmless. Let's assume it's completely harmless. Changing out Mobil 1 EP at 2,000 mile OCIs is harmless, too, but we'd still point out the folly in doing so.

There are too many people out there trying to make a fast back based upon a questionable product that serves little to no purpose. I see no need to encourage or assist them.

If it were a quality fuel injector cleaner that happened to smell nice, great. If it's an additive just for scent purposes, don't expect me to buy it, and don't expect my help in marketing it. And, if you ask my opinion about it, I'm going to provide it, favorable or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back