What was your first oil change ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1957 Ford I bought in Nov of '66, I was 16... I'd likely already changed the oil in Pops '63 Galaxie, did so a few times but don't remember if I did before buying my '57... Oil was Royal Trition "the amazing purple motor oil", don't remember filter probably a Fram...

Summer of 96- 1987 Cavalier- Quaker State (don't remember if it was 5w30 or 10w30) and a AC Delco filter...

It would have been back in the very late 70s/early 80s helping my dad, Rotella 10w-30 on a piece of farm equipment. It was a canister filter, if I recall correctly. As for cars, it would have been an early 1980s Impala, probably the 1981, with Quaker State 10w-30 and a Wix filter.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
Does anybody remember when K-mart had their own branded filter? I used a bunch of those as well. Someone once told me they were made by Purolater.

I do recall the Kmart house brand oil filters. They were branded "Motovator", they were painted white and they came in a red box. I recall using these back in the day, and I may have used one for my first oil change, on a '73 Vega back in the late 'seventies. I think I used Citgo 10W-40, which the local Kmart often had on sale for .29/qt.

I was fifteen and changed the oil in my Dad's Tahoe. It would have been either his '95 or '97 model. Castrol GTX and Fram PH5. My Dad was a Castrol/Fram guy, and that combo has served all of his cars well. Granted, he also bought everything new and never kept anything more than 2-3 years. He followed the 3 month - 3k mile rule and everybody at our church fought for the "right" to buy his used cars! One family still owns his '94 Thunderbird and '97 Tahoe.

Dad owned an ESSO Station and I did oil/filter changes on customers' cars even before my own(1969). We used ESSO Extra, Super and Plus oil each being a different grade. Can't remember what I use on my first car, probably ESSO something. Dad always stocked Purolator filters.

This of course was all before ESSO became EXXON in the U.S.

My first oil change was on my Mom's '75 Dodge Dart 4 Door with the 225 Slant 6. I was 12-13 or so at the time, this would have been in 1977-78. Used Castrol GTX 20W50 and probably a Lee oil filter.

Mid 1960s, I was 6 or 7 years old and my grandfather taught me how to change the oil in his Ford Falcon with straight six. I got the drain plug out by myself, but couldn't get a tight grip on the filter, so he had to loosen it for me. Then I had to stand on a box to pour the new oil in.

I enjoyed that experience and still love to change my own oil.

Forgot to say Pennzoil and I think it was 10W30.

Last edited:
I came from a family that always took cars to the local tire shop or dealership for maintenance. When I got my first house, I decided doing my own car work was a good excuse to buy some new tools, could be a skill that I could share with my future kids, and eventually save some money.

My first oil change was last year on my '99 GMC Sierra. I put in Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 and a PureOne oil filter.

Originally Posted By: FloatingBrick
Mid 1960s, I was 6 or 7 years old and my grandfather taught me how to change the oil in his Ford Falcon with straight six. I got the drain plug out by myself, but couldn't get a tight grip on the filter, so he had to loosen it for me. Then I had to stand on a box to pour the new oil in.

I enjoyed that experience and still love to change my own oil.

Forgot to say Pennzoil and I think it was 10W30.

Till this day I miss my 66 Falcon, lots of fond memories. That 200 I6 was a great engine and so easy to work on!

Age 15 in my 1995 Integra with Mobil 1 and my grandfather showing me how. He was telling me he couldn't see why I was putting that expensive oil in a car, and he had been using Valvoline for years with no problems. Fast forward a couple of years and I am now 23 and was at his place recently putting Valvoline Nextgen in one of my cars and he was shaking his head in disappointment that I was using "Recycled Oil that wasn't as good". I also dumped around 80 quarts of used oil into OAP's recyling tank because he planned on burning it. (eeeek!)

Love my grandpa though, without him I would have never learned how to maintain a vehicle.

The first would have been around 1954 when I was "assigned" the responsibility for an Allis Chalmers G. It was a couple years old when we bought it and, at the ripe old age of 10 or so I was responsible for the tractor and the upkeep-it was "my" tractor.

By the time I was 16 I was doing the lions share of maintenance on the farm equipment.

15 years old. 1995 Thunderbird w/ the 4.6 V8. Guy at the local Kragen sold me a Fram and a 12qt case of Shell 10w-30. I thought the oil pressure gauge was an oil level gauge, so I added all 12 quarts of oil to the motor and couldn't figure out why the oil "level" gauge needle wouldn't budge from the middle. Good thing my dad noticed all 12 empty oil bottles sitting in the recycle bin and corrected the oil level. I sure was dumb!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back