Honda fluid myth

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a lot of Honda owners are aware of the myth that if you use anything other than Honda transmission fluids your taking quite the gamble. Two days ago I changed out the factory fill fluid in my yaris to Castrol Syntec 75w90 gear oil and Im blown away with the results. It was getting pretty sloppy and with the fresh oil it was better than I ever remember it shifting. Completely revitalizing my interest in driving the car again. So Im of course now interested in changing out the del sol's fluid just for kicks since it shifts like a baseball bat in a bucket of coconuts with 20k on the fluid. How many would support the myth or should I feel comfortable using the Castrol Syntec again? The Honda manuals never state to use what viscosity of gear oil just to use Honda MTF or ATF. Its really annoying.

Last edited:
I put Amsoil manual syncromesh in my 98 civic cx and I'm happy with the results, the main reason I did it though was for the extended 50k oci. What makes the biggest difference is changing the bushings on the shifter. It definitely fixes the "coconuts" problem. I've heard that the additives is what makes the honda tranny fluid special.

Last edited:
Personally, I stick with Honda fluids for my two Accords. I don't think Toyotas are as tempermental about their fluids as Hondas are. But to each his own, I guess.

I stuck to Honda fluids for my son's 2001 Civic for both automatic transmission and coolant. There is just too much unknown chemistry going on with these to take a risk.

The half fluid change for the automatic transmission is an interesting maintenance requirement.

Last edited:
This is an interesting post. I think it is worthwhile to look at this issue by the transmission type. If you are driving a manual Honda product, which I am assuming is the case with the original poster's del Sol, I see no reason not to use whatever fluid (within specification) that you please. These manual transmissions are world class and will weather incredible amounts of use and abuse.

On the other hand, Honda automatic transmissions have been a major problem in the nineties and in this century. I have a 2001 TL which had a new transmission installed at 40k miles. My brother had an 01 CL that went through two warranty transmissions. Just last week, a friend traded in a perfect '01 Odyssey, running great at 193k, except for a trashed tranny (which was a repacement). It's not just my experience, this can be confirmed by googling "Honda Transmission Problems." There have been lawsuits galore. In my opinion, Honda has done a fair job taking care of customers and has instituted design changes that mean you can buy a new car and likely be okay.

Which brings me to the fluid - given the risk, and Honda's admonitions, why not stick with the Honda ATF, which I think is pretty good stuff.

As far as ATF is concerned, the myth is quite the debate as I've found in my research. Some say to not even think about using something other than Z1 in a Honda automatic, but many have had very good results with Valvoline MaxLife, Mobil 1, and Amsoil fluids.

I stuck with Z1 when I did the first drain/fill of our Saturn's tranny at 30K. The fluid came out nice and red and didn't look burnt, but the new fluid really improved shift quality and performance. It's been in there about 18K or 19K now and it's starting to feel a bit sloppy again. I'll probably wait until I hit 30K on it, but then I'm planning to switch to Valvoline MaxLife.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
The Honda manuals never state to use what viscosity of gear oil just to use Honda MTF or ATF. Its really annoying.

That’s what was said too for my 06 Accord V6 6MT and there is TSB for the 3rd gear problem. I read it on some other forum, people changed the MTF with Honda’s MTF and the problem was gone for about 2-3 months and then the problem comes back again. From the same forum, other members recommend GM Synchromesh with Friction Modified ($14/qt at GM dealer) for the best results, and other who wants to go cheap can go with Pennzoil Synchromesh MTF for about $7 a qt.

I myself put in the Pennzoil, and my Accord shifts as smooth as butter.

In my Accord I have used Pennzoil 10w40, Honda MTF and Esso XD3 10w30. I never felt a real difference.

I have not heard anyone mention the DW-1. You guys haven't tried that. I thought it was a good improvement myself. I have a 2010Civic auto trans but have yet to change the fluid. The 2010 model still has a lousy transmission if you asked me. I have been afraid to try anything besides DW-1 in my fams Hondas.

Our 2002 Accord had very poor shift quality with the OEM fluid, I always thought it was the nature of the beast until I changed the fluid to AMSOIL ATF. The transmission shifted considerably smoother afterwards, and cold weather operation was much less sluggish. This past winter we traded the 2002 for a low mileage 2008, and to my surprise...our 2008 Accord had a nasty "shudder" when the torque converter locked up. Apparently it is a common problem, and the dealer called it "judder". Honda says it is normal operation, and there is nothing that can be done to eliminate it. At the advice of an 2008 Acura TL owner that experienced (and fixed) the same problem, I replaced the OEM fluid with Royal Purple Max ATF. You wouldn't even know it is the same car...no more shuddering or jerky shifts. The transmission finally operates like it should, and it only cost me a case of aftermarket ATF.

Originally Posted By: AccordV6MN
The Honda manuals never state to use what viscosity of gear oil just to use Honda MTF or ATF. Its really annoying.

That’s what was said too for my 06 Accord V6 6MT and there is TSB for the 3rd gear problem. I read it on some other forum, people changed the MTF with Honda’s MTF and the problem was gone for about 2-3 months and then the problem comes back again. From the same forum, other members recommend GM Synchromesh with Friction Modified ($14/qt at GM dealer) for the best results, and other who wants to go cheap can go with Pennzoil Synchromesh MTF for about $7 a qt.

Where can you find Pennzoil Synchromesh MTF ?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Our 2002 Accord had very poor shift quality with the OEM fluid, I always thought it was the nature of the beast until I changed the fluid to AMSOIL ATF. The transmission shifted considerably smoother afterwards, and cold weather operation was much less sluggish. This past winter we traded the 2002 for a low mileage 2008, and to my surprise...our 2008 Accord had a nasty "shudder" when the torque converter locked up. Apparently it is a common problem, and the dealer called it "judder". Honda says it is normal operation, and there is nothing that can be done to eliminate it. At the advice of an 2008 Acura TL owner that experienced (and fixed) the same problem, I replaced the OEM fluid with Royal Purple Max ATF. You wouldn't even know it is the same car...no more shuddering or jerky shifts. The transmission finally operates like it should, and it only cost me a case of aftermarket ATF.

Just an FYI - before doing anything else, I would to a transmission ECU reflash with updates for judderry Honda tranny.

There is no myth to debunk. This is an artificial premise.

The NEW Honda manual trans fluids are pretty good.
Of course, Redline and Amsoil have excellent offerings.
That Castrol 75-90 seems more like a good differential lube - not specific for trannys.

put in amsoil syncromesh in my acura integra. The shfits are firmer and more precise. Won't ever be going back to honda mtf.

Just my personal experience; I tried Honda M/T and Pennzoil Synchromesh in my Civic EX. The Synchromesh was noticeably better.

I didn't bother with the Honda M/T in my Integra GS-R. Just continued to use the Synchromesh. The shift quality was great. No need to experiment. Pleased with what I had.

My oldest son has a '95 Accord with a MT, and according to the owners manual it specs 5w-30 of the same quality used in the engine. I don't know if this helps the OP or not, but its a manual trans, almost anything you select will work fine.

Agreed. Ours had the latest programming at the time...it still sucked.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy

Just an FYI - before doing anything else, I would to a transmission ECU reflash with updates for judderry Honda tranny.

So I suppose I shall stick with Honda MTF for my del sol. It must be special considering its clear color. But I will be doing the civic soon as well and that is getting Castrol's Multi-Vehicle ATF. For how much Honda wants for their ATF is insane. $13 a quart or $70 for a case but I paid $40 for the case worth of Castrol. The dealer wants $9 a quart for the MTF so its still cheaper to go that route than Castrol's Syntec anyway. But with how well their gear oil is performing I wouldnt doubt their AFT.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Originally Posted By: AccordV6MN

Where can you find Pennzoil Synchromesh MTF ?
21.gif

Autozone has it for $6.99. I bought the last 3 in my local store. It's a yellow bottle with little carrying handle and a nipple cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back