Lubegard with Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend's Hyundai XG350L specs SP-III; I've used MaxLife instead. This has improved shift quality noticeably - smooth as butter now, even at almost WOT (she drives like a maniac).

The trans fluid should be composed of about 85% Maxlife, 15% old Hyundai SP-III that had somewhere between 25 and 85,000 miles on it.

I'm thinking of adding some Lubegard Red, Platinum, or Lubegard "Highly Friction Modified ATF" supplement.

Anyone forsee any problems adding these to fluid that is mostly Maxlife in a transmission that specs a highly friction modified ATF? Should I go ahead and use the HFM supplement, or should I use LG Platinum?

I'd like to give this transmission some extra life - I'll be doing drain/fills on this vehicle every 15k (it's easy to service) using Maxlife, but if Lubegard can add some life for a few extra dollars I'd be happy to use it.

On our Escape I plan on doing the same with the next change. I'll pull the plug and add 3.5 qts and whole bottle of Lubeguard Red. Repeat that every 10k except with 4oz of Lubeguard. I don't see Maxlife any different than the Merc V I've used in the past... hasn't killed in 75k anyways!

Man LubeGard is awesome...I love their products. I think The HTF would be great. I see absolutely no contraindications of mixing it with Maxlife at all. I am not as familiar with the Platinum but I am sure that is fine too. I recommend the HTF just because I have used it with very good results.

Maxlife is working wonderfully right now. Shifts great. I'm hoping Lubegard will help lengthen the life of the transmission. I don't mind spending $15 every six months to help the transmission last a little longer.

Mostly wondering if Maxlife + LG Platinum would be a problem. The Platinum obviously must contain friction modifiers while the Red does not - thus the Platinum, I would think, would be the additive you'd want to use for a transmission requiring a highly friction modified ATF.

I'm about to do a drain/fill (3x) on my Acura with Maxlife (no idea what is in there now) and the Platinum, this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes, but I've heard/read great things about both of these products.

According to lubegard "ATF conversion and refill chart" you should use red or platinum with SP III or platinum or black with Dex/Merc. Google it if you want to confirm.

I was told by the tech that platinum is a more universal one size fits all option, but it probably is your best bet. I think it is thicker than red, but I also poured it on a cold 30 degree morning too.

I perosnally like Lubegard products and have had good luck with it correcting issues after I used it. The platinum seems to taken care of a delay after I changed fluid. Of course, I think the delay may be tempature sensitive (5 to 15 degrees) and I haven't been in that range for a while.

I'm using the power steering portectant and haven't had any more of the issues, but I also did a fill turkey baster drain and refills at the same time too.

Wish I could get my hands on the Bio-tech supplement at a decent price.

Since you are at around 85% Maxlife ATF, I would do another drain and refill and then add Lubegard Red... You are good then for at least 30K.

Quote:
I'm thinking of adding some Lubegard Red, Platinum, or Lubegard "Highly Friction Modified ATF" supplement.

Anyone forsee any problems adding these to fluid that is mostly Maxlife in a transmission that specs a highly friction modified ATF? Should I go ahead and use the HFM supplement, or should I use LG Platinum?

I'd like to give this transmission some extra life - I'll be doing drain/fills on this vehicle every 15k (it's easy to service) using Maxlife

I wouldn't use any aftermarket additives if you are going to change every 15,000 miles. Don't use any HFM additives at all or you might face increased slippage.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

I wouldn't use any aftermarket additives if you are going to change every 15,000 miles. Don't use any HFM additives at all or you might face increased slippage.

That's what I was afraid of - overdosing the transmission with friction modifiers. The Maxlife is performing flawlessly at the moment - it's such an improvement over the Hyundai SP-III.

I plan to drain/fill the ATF again in 15k miles, and every 20-25k after that. You get about 5.5 quarts of fluid (about 60%) out of the transmission each time.

^As long as you keep it at every 2 years, or 30k max...I don't know why only fluid changes wouldn't be enough in this app then with that volume coming out frequently enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back