Oil conversation RE 2003 GMC Envoy XL, 138,000 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK! I almost plum forgot. I visited family in Pennsylvania this week and we took a trip back down to Savannah GA for family matters. We took her 2003 GMC Envoy XL, which is a perfect condition truck thats been used and has ONLY 138,000 miles on it (it had 76,000 miles a few years ago, it has held up really well, never a problem.)

Along the way my Mom, who is getng older and drives it, remarked that she "forgot to get the oil changed" before we made the 1,000mi. + trip (each way.) The conversation that ensued was this:

Mom: "Oh darnit! I forgot to get the oil changed before the trip. Im mad at myself."
Me: "You know it doesnt really matter, right?"
Mom: "Yeah i guess youre right, but id like to have remembered. The oil needs to be changed, id rather have changed it before the trip."
Me: "Well, how often do you get the oil changed? Every 3,000 miles? 4? 5? 6?" (we are big believers in the 3000-mile OCI, this is a question i thought i already knew the answer to with good ol' Mom.)
(Her answer surprised me a little bit) Mom: "Well i like to get it changed every 2,000 miles (Me: !!!,) but yeah every 3000 miles is good."
Me: "Mmm-hmm. And (name of mechanic) changed the oil, right?"
Mom: "Yes."
Me: "And he puts 10W-30 in there, right? Or, do you remember any names or numbers?"
Mom: "No, but im sure he puts something good in there." (He once told me why 10W-30 oil was the best you could buy, and why.)
Me: "OK. Well, this truck has been very well taken care of. He probably puts 10W-30 in there, and it is probably Castrol GTX unless he started using new oil but its probably that. Maybe 5W-30, but probably 10W-30. In any case, its ok you are going 4000 or 5000 miles this trip. As long as you get it changed when you get back. You still have kind of low miles on your SUV, and this is the second time it has made a trip like this. The last time you were towing a U-haul!"
Mom: "Yeah, i guess so."

I checked the oil in South Carolina as Mom is old and stopped to rest the night and this engine has a skinny dipstick. Still, the oil level was perfect though its the first "skinny dipstick" i have seen. Its the GM Vortec 4200 is what it said. Good engine.

She turned around and drove home yesterday. Family affairs.
What is your opinion of this truck and the oil in it and the attitude of the owner of the truck? Is it too good, too bad, or just right?

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Considering the unknown oil type and brand used, I would say it is better to change early than late. Fine by me. It's probably a spotless engine.

Its more than likely Castrol GTX and there is a 75% Chance its 10W-30 and slight chance he puts 5W-30 in there. Idk the filter, though.

I agree, the engine was super clean, the hood does not go up until it gets to the shop. And its never had to go. She really got a good deal, likes the truck, and i am most impressed with it. Its a good fit for her.

She transports marching band equipment in it and uses it almost every day. Im most impressed by that engine! Only every now and then did she need to "floor" it, and when she did, it had some get up and go after an RPM race. Some large SUVs and trucks dont move like that.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Its the GM Vortec 4200 is what it said. Good engine.

True it's a good engine. Those vehicle have the oil life monitoring system. I've seen them go 10K - 12K miles OCI. And after 150K miles they still run great even at that OCI. Do a search - there is a member on this forum who has one and he has the UOA to show the oil held up to those long intervals.
The thing is the 4.2 I6 engine holds 7 quarts of oil. It's virtually impossible to wear out 7 quarts of oil in 2K or 3K miles.
As you can see in my signature I had a 2005. I sold it because I didn't need 4 vehicles, the MPG was terrible (especially around town) and lots of little stuff kept breaking on it.
I'd agree they have good power on the upper RPM range, but especially with the 3.43 axle they are a little slow on the take off.

I will say though that the handling for a vehicle that size and weight is very good. I once drove mine home from Arizona with very strong winds during the wildfires of 2008. I had less trouble staying on the road than the CHP officer in a Crown Vic next to me.

When I sold mine at 75K miles or so - it still had the original brakes and still had (by my estimate) about 30 - 35 percent of the pads left. I'd say about half of the miles were freeway miles.

Good story! I try not to get into those discussions with family or friends anymore. I always end up mad at my self for starting it, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back