Recommendation for track-driven 97 Honda Prelude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If the car is seeing a lot of track times M1 0W40 is better, because it has higher HTHS.

A thicker oil is not a better oil if you're not seeing high oil temp's.
If you're tracking the car you should have at least an oil pressure gauge and an oil temperature gauge while not necessary is very useful.
If you're maintaining the minimum optimum oil pressure with M1 5W-30 then there are only disadvantages of going with the heavier 0W-40.

I agree. Since I know that Prelude doesn't have factory oil pressure gauge or oil temperature gauge, and I assume he doesn't have those gauges installed. Without those gauges, I think it is better to have small margin for track cars because his engine will see high rpm most of the times at the track, therefore higher oil temp compares with street driven cars.

He is going to install both oil pressure and temp gauges, then he can monitor both pressure and temp with 5W30 on the next track and by then he will be able to tailor his oil viscosity for his engine.

I'm not the thicker is better guy, I actually using syn xW20 in the E430 and like it better than M1 0W40 it had the first 8 years of its life.

+1, i gave it a shot and i was surprised.

The browser just ate up my whole reply too, i had a good one and im NOT retyping it. Must have been a sign.
smile.gif

But I +1 this, and thank CATERHAM for his consistent postings. Except when Porsche is involved.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back