Mobil 1 0W-40 or GC 0W-30 for Northeast Winters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran some viscosity graphs and it's very clear, based on the kinematic viscosities, that Mobil 1 0W-40 has much lower viscosity for cold weather starts. I was surprised to see these results, because the 40/100 degree C viscosities of the GC 0W-30 are both lower than the M1: M1 75/13.5 GC 72/12.21 Shows you what M1's high viscosity index does!

Here is some of the data I obtained:

At 43.11 degrees F, the viscosities of the two oils are almost equal: M1 180.8 GC 181.8

At 32 degrees F, the M1 already has substantially lower viscosity: M1 563.3 GC 608.3

At 20.89 degrees F: M1 2520 GC 3047

At 9.78 degrees F: M1 19038 GC 27557

And at -1.33 degrees F: M1 313764 GC 607601!

Mobil 1 0W-40 wins!:what:

The KV is not really the whole picture. It's certainly helpful information, but I would be looking at the viscosity index and cold cranking numbers.

In particular, the VI is telling of how thin it will be at startup. Remember that the VI can technically be derived from the two KV values. M1 0w40's VI of 185 is 10% higher than GC 0w30's 167. This is pretty significant.

At -35C, GC's cranking viscosity is 6200cP max. I don't know what M1 0w40's is, it doesn't appear to be published anywhere.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The KV is not really the whole picture. It's certainly helpful information, but I would be looking at the viscosity index and cold cranking numbers.

In particular, the VI is telling of how thin it will be at startup. Remember that the VI can technically be derived from the two KV values. M1 0w40's VI of 185 is 10% higher than GC 0w30's 167. This is pretty significant.

I believe that the viscosity index is a figure that can be calculated from the 40/100 degree C viscosities, and that the viscosity index can be used together with one other viscosity figure at any particular temperature to calculate the viscosity at any other temperature. Therefore, it's not really a separate factor to consider; it reflects the viscosity spread between the 40 degree and 100 degree viscosities, and therefore correlates 100% with the viscosities.

But the higher the VI the better, as shown in this example.

I am a complete neophyte in this area, and I'm sure you're right that the kinematic viscosities are not the only factors to consider for cold weather starting protection. I'm wondering if and how the cold cranking numbers correlate with the KVs?

It depends on the car.... GC 0w30 is very heavy 30 wt, its right on the verge of being a 40wt, I would use which ever one was cheaper and more readily available.

Looks interesting, but one thing I didn't say in the original post is that I use VW 502 oil. The M1 0w-30 oil may be suitable for my application, but the HTHS viscosity is 3, which is not quite up to the 3.5 required by 502. That said, the HTHS is closer to meeting 502 than a lot of 5W-30s, and it may be that it would work fine in my VW 2.5 engine.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
+1 on Mobil 1 0W30.

Just ran the numbers on M1 0W-30. M1 0W-40 has significantly lower cold weather viscosity. Shows again that you can't judge by the weight of the oil alone, you have to run the numbers.

The viscosity index of the M1 0W-30 is 166 versus 185 for M1 0W-40.

Just looked up the cold pumping viscosities at -40C: M1 0W-40 31,000 GC 60,000

Interestingly, the low temperature pumping viscosity of the M1 0W30 is 13,250, while the M1 0W40 is much higher at 31,000. I would think that the pumping viscosity (simply by virtue of its name) would be a more important measure than kinematic viscosity in determining the cold start protection provided by a particular oil.

The plot (if not the oil) thickens.

Originally Posted By: pipo

I believe that the viscosity index is a figure that can be calculated from the 40/100 degree C viscosities, and that the viscosity index can be used together with one other viscosity figure at any particular temperature to calculate the viscosity at any other temperature. Therefore, it's not really a separate factor to consider; it reflects the viscosity spread between the 40 degree and 100 degree viscosities, and therefore correlates 100% with the viscosities.

I am a complete neophyte in this area, and I'm sure you're right that the kinematic viscosities are not the only factors to consider for cold weather starting protection. I'm wondering if and how the cold cranking numbers correlate with the KVs?

Since both the oils have 0W cold temperature ratings, their Cold Cranking and Cold Pumping viscosities meet the same API spec for flow at subzero temperatures. A 0W-oil must have CCS below 6200cP at -35C, and CP below 60,000cP at -40C. Unfortunately, their spec sheets don't give information to make a direct comparison. Castrol's spec sheet says GC has a Cold Cranking viscosity of 5900cP, so it comes in 5% under the limit. Mobil's spec sheet says their 0w40 has a Cold Pumping viscosity of 31,000cP, so it comes in about 50% under the limit. Looking at it this way, maybe the Mobil is better for cold flow since it is further away from the limit set by the API.

Looking at viscosity index and trying to extrapolate its effect to subzero temperature is skating on thin ice. (So to speak.) In the wide gulf of temperature between -35C, where the oil's low temperature viscosities are measured, and 40C, where the high temperature kinematic viscosity measurements start, there is no requirement for oil formulators to report viscosity. For conventional oils, the viscosity index cannot be relied on to predict viscosity much below 20C. The behavior of longer-chain hydrocarbons starting to form waxes and the behavior of pour point depressants contribute to this, although there are probably other factors.

For example, the Widman viscosity calculator predicts a kinematic viscosity of 14,800cSt at -35C, which converts to ~12,400cP dynamic viscosity. This is a much higher viscosity than the oil achieves on the Cold Cranking test: 5900cP.

I wish somebody would make a study of oil viscosity in the range of -15 to 25C. This is the temperature range where most people start their engines up after soaking down to ambient temperature. API testing is targeted toward the extremes.

Just looked up the cold pumping viscosities at -40C: M1 0W-40 31,000 GC 60,000

Oops! Rookie mistake. Watch out for Castrol's data sheets, they mostly report API maximums, instead of actual test data. 60,000 is the maximum limit of cold pumping viscosity at -40C.

Interestingly, the low temperature pumping viscosity of the M1 0W30 is 13,250, while the M1 0W40 is much higher at 31,000. I would think that the pumping viscosity (simply by virtue of its name) would be a more important measure than kinematic viscosity in determining the cold start protection provided by a particular oil.

I agree that the Cold Pumping viscosity is the more important of the two. I look at achieving a cold start as a two-step process:

First, the engine has to crank, and the Cold Cranking number governs how much stress is placed on the oil pump and cranking system to pump the goo that the oil has become.

Second, the oil pump has to be able to continuously pull oil from the pan after the engine is running. If the oil has turned to Jell-O, the pickup will suck a hole in the oil, and the engine will actually starve because the oil couldn't be pumped.

I would rather have a situation where the engine wouldn't crank because the oil was too viscous, than to have the engine start, then seize a couple of minutes later because the oil couldn't be pumped. In the former situation, I would just shrug my shoulders, go back in the house, stoke up the fire, and rub baby oil on my sweetheart. In the latter situation, umm, well, it wouldn't be pretty.

And for what it's worth, the Widman calculator shows a much lower viscosity at -35C for M1 0w40 than for GC:

10800 vs 14800. 32% lower. Can we rely on the difference to be constant, even though we know the calculation is off? I don't know....

But honestly, who cares about -35C? What percentage of people in North America have their oil getting that cold? <1%?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Since both the oils have 0W cold temperature ratings, their Cold Cranking and Cold Pumping viscosities meet the same API spec for flow at subzero temperatures. A 0W-oil must have CCS below 6200cP at -35C, and CP below 60,000cP at -40C. Unfortunately, their spec sheets don't give information to make a direct comparison. Castrol's spec sheet says GC has a Cold Cranking viscosity of 5900cP, so it comes in 5% under the limit. Mobil's spec sheet says their 0w40 has a Cold Pumping viscosity of 31,000cP, so it comes in about 50% under the limit. Looking at it this way, maybe the Mobil is better for cold flow since it is further away from the limit set by the API.

Looking at viscosity index and trying to extrapolate its effect to subzero temperature is skating on thin ice. (So to speak.) In the wide gulf of temperature between -35C, where the oil's low temperature viscosities are measured, and 40C, where the high temperature kinematic viscosity measurements start, there is no requirement for oil formulators to report viscosity. For conventional oils, the viscosity index cannot be relied on to predict viscosity much below 20C. The behavior of longer-chain hydrocarbons starting to form waxes and the behavior of pour point depressants contribute to this, although there are probably other factors.

For example, the Widman viscosity calculator predicts a kinematic viscosity of 14,800cSt at -35C, which converts to ~12,400cP dynamic viscosity. This is a much higher viscosity than the oil achieves on the Cold Cranking test: 5900cP.

I wish somebody would make a study of oil viscosity in the range of -15 to 25C. This is the temperature range where most people start their engines up after soaking down to ambient temperature. API testing is targeted toward the extremes.

Thanks for the helpful info. I won't tell your sweetheart what you said about her.

Thanks also for pointing out the Castrol data sheet approach. Why do they even bother listing the number if it's only a spec limit, especially without saying so?

Finally, I am embarrassed to admit that my C to F conversions were off, but the basic observation about M1 0w-40 being less viscous than GC at cold temps still holds.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I agree that the Cold Pumping viscosity is the more important of the two. I look at achieving a cold start as a two-step process:

First, the engine has to crank, and the Cold Cranking number governs how much stress is placed on the oil pump and cranking system to pump the goo that the oil has become.

Second, the oil pump has to be able to continuously pull oil from the pan after the engine is running. If the oil has turned to Jell-O, the pickup will suck a hole in the oil, and the engine will actually starve because the oil couldn't be pumped.

I would rather have a situation where the engine wouldn't crank because the oil was too viscous, than to have the engine start, then seize a couple of minutes later because the oil couldn't be pumped. In the former situation, I would just shrug my shoulders, go back in the house, stoke up the fire, and rub baby oil on my sweetheart. In the latter situation, umm, well, it wouldn't be pretty.

So what do we make of the M1 0W-30 versus M1 0W-40 data? The Widman calculator shows lower viscosity for the 0W-40 at low temps, while the 0w-30 has lower cold pumping viscosity at -40 C. Which is more likely to extrapolate to the real world range of cold temps?

If you live in MA the MRV and CCS spec's are of academic interest only.

As you have noticed the Widman Viscosity calculator (and all kinematic based calculators) shows M1 0W-40 being lighter than M1 0W-30 at temps below -10C and we know that's not correct.
Also if you use the calculator to compare M1 0W-30 to M1 5W-30 the later is lighter at all temp's when in reality the opposite is the case.

Viscosity calculators are only good at extrapolating a rate of change in viscosity down to about -10C but that's about it.

The other problem is that you can't compare the kinematic viscosities of oils with different chemistries without making an adjustment for the differences and the 3 M1 grades mentioned have different chemistries.
We know M1 0W-30 is lighter than M1 5W-30 because it has a lower HTHS vis of 3.0cP vs 3.1cP. And even though HTHS vis is measured at 150C, the viscosity change with temperature down to 100C (and even further) is almost perfectly linear. So in that sense it trumps the KV100 spec' as the most useful viscosity spec' in comparing the hot operational viscosities of different oils.

So if you want to compare the start-up viscosities of different oils down to about -10C, look at the HTHS vis and the oils VI.
Oils with the same HTHS vis but higher VI's will be lighter at all start-up temp's. As you have found out it's not as simple as plugging in the KV40 and KV100 spec's into a calculator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back