Which Windshield Repair Kit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After some searching I think I will get one of these 3 Windshield Repair Kits:
3M - Windshield Repair Kit - 08580 / Multiple repairs.
Fix-A-Flat - Fix-A-Windshield - 161890 / Multiple repairs.
Blue Star - Windshield Repair Kit - 777 / One repair.

There are some small bull's-eyes about 1/4" to 1/2" in diameter on the E430 and S2000 windshield.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
If you have full coverage they should pay for having the Windshields repaired.

DUH, thats why he's asking about windshield repair ,I don't carry full coverage on all my vehicles either.

Thanks for suggestion, we don't have windshield coverages for my cars. I checked with my insurance, it's separate coverage/premium from Mercury insurance. If we have windshield coverage on either/both cars then I would let the pro do the repairs.

I used the fix-a-windshield one from walmart, it was under $10 and worked nicely on a small star. You can't even see where I made the repair years later.

Wait for a warm sunny day (not a problem in CA probably)..

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I used this one the other day for a chip that had started to run.

http://www.ufixit.net.au/

Was very impressed, and have a couple more repairs in the kit.

Thanks Shannow, the total cost with shipping to US is too high.
Originally Posted By: JustinH
I used the fix-a-windshield one from walmart, it was under $10 and worked nicely on a small star. You can't even see where I made the repair years later.

Wait for a warm sunny day (not a problem in CA probably)..

I don't remember I ever saw fix-a-windshield at local Walmart.

We have no problem with warm/hot sunny days in So Cal, actually we have heat wave the last few days and will continue for several more days, it was/is in the mid-90's the last few days, usually September is hotter than July-August down here.

I'll go to Walmart to look for Fix-A-Windshield, if they don't have it then I'll stop by Autozone nearby for 3M - Windshield Repair Kit.

Last edited:
Go to Amazon.com and read the reviews. I think the Fix a Windshield got good reviews, some of the other repair kits did not.
Terry

I did, that why I narrowed the choices down to 3 and now down to 2, between Fix-A-Flat/Fix-A-Windshield and 3M-Windshield Repair Kit.

There is no review on M-Windshield Repair Kit, but 3M is a very reputable company and I never had problem with any 3M products, that why I like to try 3M if local WM doesn't have Fix-A-Flat/Fix-A-Windshield.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I would just pay the $50 for someone to do it.

+1. I agree. They have better equipment and will get a better fill, especially on the bigger/longer ones.

The pros also take a dremel and open up the center a tiny bit, then clean it out to help the flow of the resin.

Dont pay more than $50 though. Insurance here again has done us a disfavor. Because everyone uses it, places like safelite have marked up the "value" of the procedure as high as $129!

Assume that $50 for each small crack of about 1/4" to 3/8", there are 2 cracks on the S2000 and 1 crack on the E430, the total will be $150. The cost of either Fix-A-Windshield or 3M-Windshield Repair Kit is less than $15, either has enough resin to fill 4-5 small cracks.

It is for sure that the pros will do better job, but for 10% of the cost and if I can stop the crack from spreading I will be happy.

The problem is I never know how good (or bad) these DIY kits can do in fixing the cracks until I try it.

PS I didn't think about owning a fluid extractor to do oil change for the E430, I didn't think it would work as well as remove drain plug. After some thinking I decided to buy one to try, if it works as advertised then great, if not then list it on Ebay or Craigslist. It was a good purchase.

Same thing for headlight restore kits, one time cost of about $15 and the result is acceptable, not as good as the pros but not too bad either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Same thing for headlight restore kits, one time cost of about $15 and the result is acceptable, not as good as the pros but not too bad either.

Just remember to also consider the potential cost of error. If you screw up badly, and you end up having to buy a new windshield, the cost would be far greater than letting a pro do the job in the first place.

I agree. Many DIY jobs turned out to be expensive because errors/mistakes were made. I'll read the instructions 2-3 times to be sure I'll follow every step to the T.

There are 2 spider cracks on S2000, 1 is high up on passenger side and 1 on driver side. I will try the passenger side first so that if the repair doesn't come out good then it will not effect the visibility of the driver.

Since I will need to go some place this weekend and there is an Autozone nearby, they have 3M-Windshield Repair Kit and that will be my toy to play with.

Wish me luck !

Bought 3M-Windshield Repair Kit from Autozone yesterday, also bought Zerex G-05 for E430 at Napa nearby. Read the instruction last night, seems fairly easy to do the 2 small cracks repair. Parts seem to be good quality and made in USA except the blade is made in Mexico.

Unfortunately, we don't have sunny sky today to do repair, the instruction states that park the car under direct sun for at least 30 minutes, after repair is done in a shaded area, for the resin to cure. If the sun coming out later this afternoon, I will repair 2 cracks on S2000 and work on E430 tomorrow.

The weather in So Cal is a little weird the last few days, we had 4 very hot days from Tuesday until yesterday and today cloudy and cool. It was as high as mid 90's on Wednesday and it's only mid to high 60's and cloudy today.

All 3 windshield cracks, 2 on S2000 and 1 on E430, were fixed with 3M-Windshield Repair Kit today. After parking the cars under the sun for 1+ hour(recommended was 30+ minutes) for the resin to dry, the cracks are now barely noticeable. I think the cracks are reduced about 70-80%, not as good as new but hopefully it will not spread. The cost is $15 after tax, the resin in the bottle is enough to fix 10-15 small cracks.

Thanks for the review, I have been meaning to fix a small starburst on my Saturn for a few weeks. I have never seen a do it yourself kit but now I know they are out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back