Primewell tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a "new" company car last week. 2010 Impala LT with 25K miles. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but I just missed the cutoff to order a new car and this one ws sitting for the last 6 months unused so I agreed to take it rather than wait another 6 months.

It's not a bad car overall but the last driver clearly showed it little love. I took it in today for the 25K service (yes, I feel a little dirty taking any car to a "professional mechanic") and to get a tire leak plugged. After an hour, the Firestone guy comes out and tells me the fleet company approved 3 new tires. Ummm, ok. Doesn't the Impala have 4 tires? Yeah, the 4th tire is just above 6/32nds so they won't approve it yet. Whatever.

I wasn't too upset to see the awful Goodyear Integritys go but when the car came out it was wearing 3 new Primewell Valera Tourings. How bad are these things? I never buy the bargain brands when it comes to tires so I really have no frame of reference.

ugh. I wouldnt trust them personally... And Id probably have waited until the other tire was worn down enough if I could...

Two might have been OK. Three? No thanks.

As I say, it's round, rubber, and passes inspection.

My mom has a set of Primewells on her Subaru. They don't keep air worth anything, are loud, and are already starting to dry-rot even though her car is garaged and she purchased them about 4 months ago.

Goodyear Integrity isn't good and Primewell is worse, especially 3 full tread of 1 brand and 1 half tread of another brand is not good at all. No good tire shop would put 2 difference brands 1 full and 1 half wear on the same axle.

I bought a new set of 4 for my old elantra that I was selling. Bought them since they were alot cheaper than the rest. They will get the job done on a company car. Once they wear out, get a new set of primewells!

The Primewell tires I looked at when I was buying tires were made in China. You should be able to look on yours and they'll be marked where they're made.

Primewell is a cheap brand owned by Bridgestone/Firestone. They make a point of not advertising the connection, but you can find little connections that prove it.

For example, the Primewell website is owned and run by Bridgeston, but you have to follow a tiny link on the Primewell page that says "legal notice" to find it.

http://www.primewelltires.com/legal-notice

I bought an Infinity I30 a few years back and of course it had a brand new set of Primewells on it. I was like oh boy here we go. They are brand new so do I really want to replace them? Well we had some nasty weather that fall and a pretty nasty winter and I have to say they did really well. Even full throttle in the rain from a stop and it did not break them loose. This car was not super fast but it had some good low end grunt and should have had no problem lighting them up as most Maximas do. Not sure if I would run out and get another set unless they were significantly cheaper but I really had no issues with them. Trust me I have had bad tires before and these were not horrible. I sold the car to a friend and he just replaced them with 85k on them so they lasted a good while as well.

If they are owned by Bridgestone/Firestone then Primewell should be a decent tire ?

When I had a company car I always bought the most expensive Michelin, Pirelli, Yokohama tires since I was charging it to my Corp credit card.

Primewell has been making 18 wheeler tires for quite a few years now. I've never heard anything negative about the Primewells.

I have a set on my Peterbilt. They roll down the road like any other tire.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
I bought a new set of 4 for my old elantra that I was selling. Bought them since they were alot cheaper than the rest. They will get the job done on a company car. Once they wear out, get a new set of primewells!

I dont get it.

I would think that a company car that you drive a lot would deserve really good rubber, Just as much as all cars should.

Have a set on the Aspire and had no problems. They look cheap but seem to do the job. No problem in the rain but can't comment on the snow maybe in a couple months. I got mine for $15 a piece at the local pull-it yard, that's with the rims.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not thinking they are unsafe or anything, just that they will probably become noisy and unpleasant to drive on as time goes by. I guess time will tell.

The 4th tire will likely be replaced in 5K at the next service interval. Apparently the fleet company won't replace a tire unless it is damaged or under 5/32" tread depth. I should hit that around mid-Novemeber, hopefully before the first snow. In the past, I have had more say in exactly what happens to my company cars and was able to take them to pretty much anyplace I wanted. This time the fleet management company offers few options and none of them particularly confidence-inspiring.

I'm mostly PO'd at the Firestone place. It's been a few years since I had a company car, but the greed of authorized service centers is coming back to me quickly. They are supposed to handle things that I ask about, but most ususally try to do anything and everything they can get away with. The attitude usually seems to be that since I'm not paying for it, I won't care if they perform all sorts of unnecessary work. I wasn't expecting or wanting new tires today, just and oil change and a leaky tire plugged. I would have requested new tires in December and would never have gone to a Firestone franchise for them. These clowns just called the fleet company without my input and replaced the tires. They also claim to have done an alignment which the car absolutely did not need. I will be complaining to the fleet company on Monday but I doubt they will do anything.

Just another example of why I don't let anyone else touch my own cars.

As a tire company, I'm not very impressed with [censored]/FS. For years, in the 90's, they were on "cruise control" as far as R&D, and ended up getting people killed with some really lame tire designs. Only in the past several years have they decided to "step up", and build some tires that compete in the market.

Then to look at "Primewell". It looks like their past, yet again.

My wife & I picked up a used '01 Taurus almost a year ago. The previous owner had just put on a new set of Primwell PS series all-seasons. Being very picky about tires I was not thrilled about having those tires. However, 12K miles later I have to say that I'm surprised at how well these tires are doing. I've not had any complaints so far. Wet, dry, snow, etc. - They've performed admirably, especially considering they are an off brand. The only complaint I guess I could come up with is maybe that they are a little noisy? But that's nitpicking. I put nitrogen in them soon after and they've held their PSI's perfectly.

http://www.primewelltires.com/PS830-PS850

I have some Primewell's on the front of my little Civic now, changing them out by the winter will make me as happy as when I get the clutch in this thing replaced...these tires skip and hop between 45-55 randomly, and they feel fat when steering, not good for steering, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
I dont know about anyone else's opinion here, but at my work we put primewell tires on cars, and they wear out very quickly. I wouldnt trust or use them even on a wheelbarrow.

Last major accident we had on our local freeway was a tire blowout on a Fusion with Primewells on it.

No thanks.....

Agreed, Primewells, should be used for tire swings, and I'm not sure that they are 100% good for that either.

Okay, maybe a little harsh. I am sure they are alright for old Buicks driven strictly in town, but not on my mom's car. Or mine for that matter. The Primewells I usually see on cars are also usually underinflated and poorly worn. Says a lot about the car owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back