Oil Reccommendation for 2003 Pontiac Montana 175k

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be the best conventional oil to run in a 2003 Pontiac Montana 3.4L V6 with 175,000KM ?

I figured the milage is too high to switch to a synthetic like PP, and I'm not sure what the benefits of running a high milage type oil.

Any help is appreciciated!

If it doesn't consume or leak any oil then just run any SN rated major brand conventional and you'll be fine. Your driving habits will determine the oil change interval, but unless you do a lot of short trips most major oils will be good for five thousand miles.

I should update with a little more information as reccommended in the sticky:

Manual calls for 5W30 with the API starburst symbol.
I live in the Vancouver BC area so temp does not really get to extreme either way.
Mostly short trips at average speed.
Van has no known problems, other than a bad rear wiper motor which I don't think applies here.
smile.gif

I've been kind of leaning towards Pennzoil conventional but I'm not sure of the difference in brands, especially with the high mileage type oils.

IMO.....you can't do much better than PYB, (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle), conventional, Quaker State Green Bottle, Chevron, Valvoline, Castrol etc all in conventional.

Just find the best price in 5W-30, since your winters are not that extreme.

BTW...I stopped off in your beautiful city in late spring on my way to Alaska. Really beautiful city and friendly people.....very expensive though.

In August, I visited the Canadian Maritime Provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island.....another beautiful area of Canada. I'll never forget the Cabot Trail....and the scenery.

175,000 km is less than 110,000 miles or

My buddy has had two Chevy Ventures(sister to the Montana). A '99 and an '04 both with the 3.4L V6. He gave both to his daughter in LasVagas, NV each time he bought another new vehicle for himself. He gave them to his daughter at ~65-75,000 miles and she has driven the first one('99) to 200,000 miles. She just got the second one('04) in May 2011.

All these Ventures ever saw for oil was quick lube 5W30!

Originally Posted By: mongo161
BTW...I stopped off in your beautiful city in late spring on my way to Alaska. Really beautiful city and friendly people.....very expensive though.

Thank you, you're right it is beautiful, but definately expensive!!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: gw105

I figured the milage is too high to switch to a synthetic like PP,

Why do you feel this way?
21.gif

I've just heard horror stories about synthetics like PP doing such a great job cleaning the engine, that leaks develop that were previously plugged with sludge. Actually makes me a little leary to even use PYB as it's supposed to have a great cleaning characteristics even though it's conventional.
smile.gif

Go with Maxlife HM 5W30 red bottle which is a semi syn. Helps clean up an engine and also will help prevent possible future leaks. I have used this oil in newer and also high mileage cars and it worked very well. This is a very good choice for your application.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

I figured the milage is too high to switch to a synthetic like PP,

Why do you feel this way?
21.gif

I've just heard horror stories about synthetics like PP doing such a great job cleaning the engine, that leaks develop that were previously plugged with sludge. Actually makes me a little leary to even use PYB as it's supposed to have a great cleaning characteristics even though it's conventional.
smile.gif

Your fears are unfounded.
06.gif
You may switch to synthetic and enjoy all the benefits is has to offer...
05.gif

I'm wavering between PP and PYB. From what I undertsand the main benefit of synthetics is the extended OCI, but I think we'll be changing the oil by time not mileage as I don't expect to rack many miles up. I'm leary of the HM oils as from what I understand once you go HM you have to stay with it or risk leaks. It doesn't leak any oil now.

As it turns out, 5 liter jugs of Valvoline premium conventional oil came on sale at walmart here for $9.98, so I picked up 8 of them
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back