Exhaust clamps > pipes stuck in muffler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to remove the exhaust pipe from my muffler but it is stuck because the clamp has dimpled the muffler outlet onto the exhaust tubing.
mad.gif

any ideas on how to remove the pipe?

That's bad....I've seen instances where all the whole exhaust system had been welded together. If you needed to change the muffler....you had to replace the whole exhaust system.

Depends if you want to re-use the parts...which may be difficult...

Chisel, driven in by hand (controlling the angle and depth) to open the dented/crushed part of the muffler...the clamp will crush it again when you re-assemble...I hope...

If you're replacing parts, then Sawzall...

If the pipe is crushed to the degree that it usually is by muffler shops, you're probably SOL unless you don't care about whichever pipe is larger in diameter. If you want to replace the smaller diameter pipe, use a grinder or a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to make a cut in the larger diameter pipe and then hammer a cold chisel in to open the cut.

This is why I install clamps only tight enough to prevent the pipes from twisting in one another, but exhaust shops don't give a rat's... you know what.

If you want to reuse the pipe or the muffler, you need an Oxy/Acetylene torch. Heat the dimple till its orange and the pipe will come right out.

I use a 4" angle grinder with cutoff wheel. It does fit in if I got in at a 45 degree angle. Get that cut back a couple inches then I can get in with a couple big screwdrivers and pry it more then it comes off.

You can appreciate a doctor cutting off a plaster cast as you try to penetrate just one layer of pipe.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I use a 4" angle grinder with cutoff wheel. It does fit in if I got in at a 45 degree angle. Get that cut back a couple inches then I can get in with a couple big screwdrivers and pry it more then it comes off.

You can appreciate a doctor cutting off a plaster cast as you try to penetrate just one layer of pipe.

+1 Thats what I did to get the muffler off my car, I wanted to reuse it so I didn't cut too far down the muffler pipe. Then pry and hammer and heat until it comes off.

I remember the days when shops would sell you a muffler with a lifetime guarantee, installed. Unfortunately, it was only the muffler that was guaranteed, and you needed to replace the entire exhaust system when the time came. Even at my naive age of 17 I could tell it was a crock. I don't know how people ever claimed the warranty. How could you separate the pieces?... what shop would do so?

Yep, they "give" you a new muffler and make it up on what they charge you for the pipes and installation.
The muffler waranty got you to come back to them for next exhaust repair job.
Lifetime brake pad waranties are similar.......they get you to come back...and they make their money selling you rotors and the other things needed.

Originally Posted By: ms21043
If you want to reuse the pipe or the muffler, you need an Oxy/Acetylene torch. Heat the dimple till its orange and the pipe will come right out.

basically i want to use the flowmaster that i have installed but want to replace the existing tailpipe with a mandrel bent one that i just got. the pipe is stuck on the inside of the muffler outlet. the clamp was tightened around the muffler outlet which crushed/dimpled it onto the exhaust tubing

You could cut the tailpipe near the muffler outlet. Then work on the short section of pipe remaining in the muffler. Find some way to buckle the material inward, maybe by pounding a screwdriver between the two walls or work at it with a dremel. There are expander tools to work out the dimple from the inside.

If you could remove the section of exhaust from the car, you could take the assembly to a muffler shop for this work. They should definitely have expander tools. It shouldn't cost much.

Exhaust work without welding is almost impossible to get done right and easily.

If a shop sold u a lifetime muffler and ur pipes rusted out they suppose to reuse that muffler when they put new pipes in.

The best way to get that is to put two slices on the side of the pipe and get an air chisel with the right tip and seperate the two pipes. Then if u need to reuse the crushed pipe u need to get a pipe expander and open it back up and reclamp it back.
Anytime u se those strap clamps u are gonna probably end tightening the pipe till it crushes to make sure u get a good leak free seal. If u dont want to crush u have to use the smooth type of band style clamps.

What takes forever on ur back muffler shops do in 5 mins cause they weld everything. If welded right its leakfree and rattle proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back