old 4wheeler needs TLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
'90 quadrunner 4wd suzuki

It has a little over 4,000miles on it. It is just used for mild work around the yard. It has been neglected with not very many oil changes in the past few years because it sits up more than it is used. The question is it desperately needs to be running a thicker oil in it to keep from burning it like crazy out the exhaust( under load it wants to just smoke...blue smoke that is). Which oil additive would y'all recommend or should I just switch to thicker oil? Not something as thick as running SAE 30? Or would I need to be running something as heavy as 15w40 or something different. It's a '90 model and it may need something more but what can slow the process of the oil just burning like it is??? I could figure it out on my own but wanted to get any opinions firsthand or input from any of you and go from there.

Just changed the oil not long ago with some castrol 10w40oil not the special atv oil that suzuki recommends. Needs something a bit better since I am using it for a project that I am towing a fairly good sized trailer with. Need some feedback.

Like most of the older ATVs, this one likely has a wet clutch meaning the engine oil and clutch/transmission oil are shared. As such the modern "energy conserving" automotive oils will have friction additives that can cause clutch slippage, save for a popular one--Rotella.

I would give Rotella Triple T in 15w-40 a try and see how it works for you. It is less than $15 a gallon most everywhere and has the JASO MA specification for wet clutch use.

Hope this helps!

I had an '87 Suzuki LTF4WD 250 for over twenty years. Great machine!

After about 15 years, it would smoke more than my father when first started but would clear up once the engine ran for a few minutes. The valve seals were leaking oil into the cylinder.

If your compression is good, it's probably the same source of oil getting into the cylinder. There's a product made by Bardahl named No Smoke that is pretty effective. Give that a shot.

thanks to the 3 of you for answering the questions.

I am going to try the 15w40 first then if that doesn't seem to help I will find that Bardahl brand 'no smoke'

I'll get around to changing the oil maybe this weekend or next week. I'll post back an update if that helped any which I am pretty sure that will. Like I said it has over 4,000miles on it and we got it it had around 2,300miles. It's been a good 4wheeler. Especially when you need to have the options it has on the drivetrain! superlow-low-high / diff. lock-4wd-2wd.

And people use to say suckzuki. No, if you take care of them like any machine they will be nice to you back.

Another vote for Rotella 15w40, works great in my 94 Yamaha Timberwolf 250. Many of the older quads speced 20w40 so the 15w40 is the closest readily available modern lube.

You might also want to check the PCV plumbing for obstructions. As this would cause oil to be sucked into the intake.

"And people use to say suckzuki."

They obviously know not of what they speak!

Suzuki pioneered the 4 wheel ATV. I bought one of their first machines back in 1984. An LT185. It was an excellent little performer and worked very hard for very many years with little maintenance other than oil changes, chain lubing, air filter cleaning and greasing the rear axle. Even the valve lash stayed in spec.

I sold it several years ago to a guy who wanted a machine for his kids. They've been flogging it for probably ten years and it's still going strong.

Suzuki make some of the best power sports equipment available. I own two 500cc liquid cooled Suzuki powered Arctic Cat atvs. I wouldn't have bought them if they didn't have Suzuki engines/power trains. Excellent power, reliability and durability.

This may sound crazy but try some Rotella 5w-40 synthetic. I say this because synthetic oil stopped my wife's 05 Yamaha Bruin(350cc, 4wd bought used) from smoking on start up. No doubt due to leaking valve seals.
Since synthetic oil "clings" to internal parts, it's less likely to run down past the seals after the engine was stopped for the day....at least that's my theory on this Yamaha.

Try it and see...what you got to lose other than the price of the synthetic oil? Rotella synthetic is all I use in our atvs and my motorcycle.

Over on this thread ----'Rotella T6 5w40 vs Mobil 1 0w40 For Polaris ATV'

I am probably going to try out rotella T6 5w40 in the suzuki. Then since I have a '91 honda fourtrax 4wd I am going to use that very same oil in it when I change the oil right after deer season. GREAT!

I'll give up the 30+ bucks for the T6 rotella 5w40 and see how it goes.

Let us know how it works out.

Personally, I'm having trouble getting my head around how a synthetic oi, when hot will not seep past worn valve seals. It would seem to me that a synthetic would be just as capable of doing so as conventional oil, if not moreso.

I just changed the oil to the Rotella Triple T 15w40. At start up the 4wheeler didn't smoke at all. Then I rode it for a little bit and then came to a stop to rev it up some to see if the smoke comes back. Instead of blueish smoke like before now it's whiteish. So what now? Live with it since this 4wheeler isn't used a whole lot or should I try some sort of additive like Bardahl's "no smoke" to try to make it go away completely?

Who carries the "no smoke" stuff anyways?

I'd just run it as is, I use Rotella T 15W40 in the 2001 version of your 4 wheeler in the summer with no issues. Good working quads and good working oil. Mine spends most of its time towing something or pushing snow on a 1/4 mile driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back