Oil level is 1 inch above the Full dot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
You friend screwed up. After adding the correct amount of oil, he should have quit.
What in the world was he smoking/ingesting?

You sound like you're as patient and tolerant as I am about overfilling and not knowing refill capacities.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
One inch on the stick is quite a lot. What car and engine? What does the owner's manual say about oil capacity? Personally, I wouldn't leave it in there.

How do you not realize the car was still on ramps?
confused.gif

I agree. If it were my vehicle,I`d drain some out. Look at it this way, then you`ll know for sure if the drain plug isnt on too tight.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
The simplest way to remove some oil is to simply remove the oil filter, drain and reinstall. Repeat if you need to remove more. This can get a bit messy if your filter isn't in an upright position.

+1

Originally Posted By: Sonic
Originally Posted By: dubie2003
The simplest way to remove some oil is to simply remove the oil filter, drain and reinstall. Repeat if you need to remove more. This can get a bit messy if your filter isn't in an upright position.

+1

If you plan on removing some oil, this is the way to do it.

also, i'd make sure the car is completely level when checking the oil. in my driveway my parking spot declines ever so slightly, almost imperceptibly, and my dipstick registers higher than when i'm on a perfectly level spot, like a parking lot.

I agree that it is overfiled too much. Drain enought out so the level is between add and full but, on or near the full line is prefered. Ed

if your that concerned just take off the oil filter, let the oil drain and put it back on. You should be good then

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Another good reason to use just the quantity the manufacture recommends. Dip sticks and when you check the levels can produce false readings. My 2002 F150 w/the 4.6 reads full at six quarts added. My friend had a 2001 with the same engine and it would be just above the add line at six quarts
21.gif
. Follow the owner's manual, it tells you quantity to use at an oil change and how to check the oil properly to get an accurate reading.

Whimsey

PS: follow Molakule's advice.

That doesn't make sense to me. You don't know how completely he drained the oil. You may not even know if the drain plug is on the aft side of the engine, and if it is not, the tilted vehicle would tend to retain oil.

If the dipstick and the published fill disagree, I would go with the dipstick if you have the right dipstick.

My car has a dipstick that always reads overfilled if you put the specified amount of oil in the engine.

Your car might be the same.

Also, what kind of car is it? Some cars with mechanical fuel pumps would leak gasoline into the oil, causing the level to get higher, while making the oil less effective.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Check the oil on the dipstick about 3 minutes after shutdown.

If there are no bubbles on the dipstick, you're ok.

I did this at the 3 minute interval and I had to look carefully but I saw one very very small bubble (about the size of the head of a pin...NOT a pushpin, but a small pin or needle point) and then it disappeared (popped). It was so small I could barely distinguish it.

To be fair, I miscalculated originally, it's actually not more than 1/2 inch over.

Looks like it would be hard to get down there with a baster or a pump, and I don't feel like cracking open the oil plug. I may try a pump assembly if I need to, through the oil pour, but I'm not real worried about it at the moment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carbon
Another good reason to use just the quantity the manufacture recommends. Dip sticks and when you check the levels can produce false readings. My 2002 F150 w/the 4.6 reads full at six quarts added. My friend had a 2001 with the same engine and it would be just above the add line at six quarts
21.gif
. Follow the owner's manual, it tells you quantity to use at an oil change and how to check the oil properly to get an accurate reading.

Whimsey

PS: follow Molakule's advice.

That doesn't make sense to me. You don't know how completely he drained the oil. You may not even know if the drain plug is on the aft side of the engine, and if it is not, the tilted vehicle would tend to retain oil.

If the dipstick and the published fill disagree, I would go with the dipstick if you have the right dipstick.

My comment was based upon the assumption that the oil was properly drained. Did you even read my comments? Both of our trucks are spec'd for six quarts yet my dip stick read full and his read just above the add mark. From what I read this is a known problem with Ford F150's. I would like to believe that the manufacture would know the correct amount of oil to use during a correct drain oil change. Dip sticks can be manufactured incorrectly sometimes.

Whimsey

It's my opinion that oil pans don't have enough capacity on some cars. I'm thinking all cars should have at least a 6 quart capacity for oil minimum. Some of these cars running around with 4 quart oil pans and going 5k OCI's is really pushing it.

My comment was based upon the assumption that the oil was properly drained. Did you even read my comments? Both of our trucks are spec'd for six quarts yet my dip stick read full and his read just above the add mark. From what I read this is a known problem with Ford F150's. I would like to believe that the manufacture would know the correct amount of oil to use during a correct drain oil change. Dip sticks can be manufactured incorrectly sometimes.

I read what you wrote. I read that when zerosoma said he was an inch or so above full on the dipstick, you said he need not worry about it. He has changed his description since.

Regarding your friend, do you each have the same model of engine? Maybe your friend has his oil pan dented in. If he does, he should add less oil than you would.

Note I did make the comment about having the right dipstick. You seem to attribute the difference between your truck and your friend's truck is that he has a mis-manufactured dipstick. That seems unlikely to me. I would would think he would want to get that resolved. But then you say he only reads "just above" the full mark where you are right on. That sounds like a small difference rather than half an inch or more. Maybe he has a smaller oil filter or does not drain as effectively as you do.

Last edited:
I run 6 qts in my 383 big blocks that require only 5qts. They prime up much faster with 6 if you park on a hill. With 5 qts, they start a bit tappy.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Right now I'm running 6 quarts in my Buick that calls for 5 quarts. The reason why I'm running the extra quart
is because I figure it's easier on the oil when there's more of it. I'll let you guys know if anything happens.
56.gif

Let us know when your rear main seal starts to leak REAL BAD!

My son drained the tranny (by mistake) and then put 5qts of oil (now 5qts too many!) in his Ford Probe GT. He drove about a mile before he realized he had an EMPTY tranny and PLUM FULL crankcase.

He had the car towed home for a rebalance of fluids. No permanent harm.

5 quarts over is TOO FULL for sure!

Ugh! A friend of mine thinks it's over-full and you risk blowing a seal out by keeping the oil level at the "High" mark; which is where it should be after an oil change 'idealy'.
crazy2.gif

"L" and "H" are only relative to the DIPSTICK itself, its the High or Low mark(what about dipsticks with only 2 holes and no markings? lol),

"L"(on the dipsticks that have that particular marking, like with cross-hairs) does not mean "Low" on oil all together, but rather at the "Lowest" 'safe' zone.

"Anywhere" in the middle of the marks, whatever the dipstick has, is generally considered 'adequate'.

The "H" mark doesn't mean the oil level is too "High", it simply is showing the oil level is reading at "Full" capacity, or maximum recommended(where it should be after properly changing the oil).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ammolab
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Right now I'm running 6 quarts in my Buick that calls for 5 quarts. The reason why I'm running the extra quart
is because I figure it's easier on the oil when there's more of it. I'll let you guys know if anything happens.
56.gif

Never knew that an extra quart is going to blow out a rear main seal. LOL...

I blew seals once on a modular8: added 2 extra quarts of PP by mistake. Fixed it by using Mobil1 HM plus 1 quart of Red Line. YMMV, of course.

Originally Posted By: ammolab

I'll let you know when that starts happening on my Vette, but you'll be waiting a while, because after 7 years and almost 100k of overfilling the engine by one quart, it's not caused any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back