NAPA rotors vs. centrix which is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IM looking to purchase new rotors for my 95 neon 5 lug ATX. and brakes. IM knida of mroe a fan of NAPA, than advance auto or autozone. For my car, NAPA has new rotors, at $26.99 each. Then they have black coated ones, for $39.99 each. Ive done osme research online, and saw at least on racing aplpications, the NAPA ones are prone to cracking, breaking. the Centric ones, from rockauto.com, $29.99 each, have much better add promoting.
Anyone here have experiences, recommendations betweent the 2? Are they all the same? The dealer ones,( Mopar/chrysler) are $89 each, discounted online. Looking to save some $$$. Also looking at centrix brake pads, for $32..they advertise on a scale of 1-10, for rotor wear, a 9..being really good! but also looking at the NAPA adaptive ones, or trustops.

I always use TRU-STOP with good success, but its just a standard daily driven car. No auto-X or racing at all. I have no complaints on the few cars I've used them on.

Cool Sl craig:) im mostly interested in thier rotors. Ide imagine the non black coated ones would rust much quicker? at least the NAPA ones. i park my car outside, so they are kinda exposed to the elements.
I read the centric or centrix* forget the name, are coated to withstand 400 hours of salt, snow, rain ect..the napa ones arnt. does it really makes adifference?
I mean, im stillusing the original rotors, 200,000 miles..and look BAD , they have been resurfaced 4 times in the past years, averaging once a year for a brake job, and 3,000 miles. They used raybestos brakes, but not sure what kind* I am learning, its normal? to replace the rotors every brake job??? If so, i was under the impression dealer/OEM rotors were designed to last the length of the car in terms of time and use? or is that wrong?

Originally Posted By: ziggy
i was under the impression dealer/OEM rotors were designed to last the length of the car in terms of time and use? or is that wrong?

That's wrong. OEM or aftermarket, rotors will wear out eventually.

ziggy,

How long are you planning on keeping the car? If, "a while" is the answer get the better brakes. Many here and other forums like Centric Premium rotors. I haven't used them but am running Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors and pads and have nothing but praise for them and would certainly recommend them. Rock Auto sells Raybestos AT.

Im planning on keeping the car, at least another 4-5 years. At least in my opinion, years ago, going to brakecenters ofamerica, they never told me i needed new rotors. Just they ha to be resurfaced. I guess im interested in knowing, wether or not the centris are better quality than the NAPA ones?

I just put on the NAPA premium ones you mention on my 93 Suburban along with Wagner TQ pads. The braking is super. But its only been a few days.

The new to discard is 0.07" for your rotors. How on earth did someone resurface them 4 times and you have 200K on the original rotors? Something does not sound right. Or a shoddy place is resurfacing rotors to below discard.

Keep in mind that shipping rotors from RockAuto is a deal breaker for me. Very expensive. Look at Amazon for rotors with free shipping. But consider the the NAPA ones.

Unsure about rust for NAPA rotors. They will not rust where the pads hits the rotor if the vehicle is used somewhat frequently. As for other rotors handling 400 hours of salt spray, what does that mean? Your in CT and your rotors will get salt on them and it will stay in some areas (vanes) until spring when it gets washed out by rain. Unsure how many hours of salt spray is a winter in CT is equal to.

Your car is a 95 Neon, do the rotors need to look dazzling?

I would get the NAPA ones, plan on replacing them every brake job and concentrate on the best pads. Wagner has a $15 rebate on pads until the end of the month. NAPA also has a brake rebate, but you need to spend $200.

Ziggy,
If you like NAPA parts and have never had any issues with them, stay with them...I always tell people this..."If you like something, stay with it!"

As-far-as rotors...I like Centric and Brembo as they seem to last the longest for me before warping or, getting that pulse/viberating feeling during braking that I hate so much!
frown.gif

I would have loved to try the CENTRIC CRYO Treated rotors(also with the Black E-Coating) for the Front of my cars brakes but, they only come in the REAR application for my vehicles if at all. I don't get it! The front brakes is the only place that I have ever gotten brake pulsation/steering wheel viberations when braking. If I have ever had rear rotors warp, I never felt it.

I have ever used NAPA Rotors(or brakes)as NAPA is not conviently located in my area although there are several locactions. I am currently using(from RockAuto) Centric Premium Rotors with the black E-Coating on the rotor hats/vents. Put them on all 4 corners of my daughters '06 Mazda 3 2.0L. So far, so good but, it's only been 4 months. Also using Centric PosiQuiet Ceramic pads front and rear. Total shipped from RockAuto, $232.00 along w/ air filter and 02 sensor.

I am currently using the standard Centric Rotors(IIRC, C-Tec?) on the rear of my '04 Altima 2.5 S(Raybestos Pro-Grade on the front) for ~3.5 years now and I like them too. IIRC, I am using Centric C-Tec ceramic pads Front and Bendix ceramic Rear.
For the Altima, I also bought everything from RockAuto on a closeout or "Only 1 or 2 remaining" from the dropdown box. I did the whole brake job for the Altima(all pads and 4 rotors F&R) for $167.00 shipped.

Using Brembo Rotors and Akebono ProAct Ceramic Pads on all 4 corners of my wifes Lexus 4.5 yrs now. About $400.00 shipped from TireRack. Nice combo for this car. No deal here(although the rotors alone would have cost me $400 localy). I think that I'll just stick with TireRack tires. This was before I discovered RockAuto!

Check the weights. Go with the heaviest.
My el-cheapo rotors were a full pound heavier than the premium ones. That's what I want in a rotor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back