How can people drive on tires with belts showing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a coworker.. she had one front tire halfway THROUGH the steel belt.. and the other front had some cords poking through.

I mentioned this to her and she says "oh I meant to get a tire on saturday its been like that for weeks". I said you should get a decent pair both your fronts are shot.. She agreed.

4 days later she asked me if I noticed..

I had seen her new(to her) front tire on the way in.
I assumed she got a pair...

Nope she now has 2 bald tires 1 tire with half tread.. and 1 tire with cords poking out....

SIGH!!!!! AND FACEPALM
picard-facepalm.jpg

updating shortly with pics of her tires :p

Edit:
The pics of shame (Pic1 and 2 are same tire , third image is other side)

I wonder if steel belts get good ice traction....(thats a joke)

Last edited:
That ain't nothin. When I was a dumb 16 year old, my first car was a 1975 Thunderbird, with a 460. We'd load it up, hit the interstate, and see how fast we could go, til we got to the next exit - about 8 miles down the road. I think the speedo went to 120 or 130, and we had it past that. Bald tires, with belts showing. How we all lived past 20, I'll never know.

Irresponsible people never think about what a Tire Blow out at 70 mph might do to people around them.

Typical "ME ME ME" attitude.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Irresponsible people never think about what a Tire Blow out at 70 mph might do to people around them.

Typical "ME ME ME" attitude.

I don't quite know if it's a bad attitude, but there are people who are ignorant when it comes to automotive maintenance. And I hate to say it but, most of them are women.

Not everyone has the money to replace things when they break or wear out. But like the above poster mentioned people don't realize the seriousness of what could happen if a tire goes out.

If im in a parking lot and I see someone with a bad tire, ill always go say something. I dont know why but I notice tires on other peoples cars??....I tell them its in really bad shape and then I invite them to think about what would happen if they were on I95 doin 80 in the rain and they had to stop in a hurry....

I always tell them that they are free to tell me to mind my own business, most times they look shocked to hear what im saying and thank me. I remind them that road safety isnt just about them.

as for not being able to afford new tires....i dont accept that at all. If you are running a vehicle, its only common sense to have money saved for unpredictable vehicle breakdowns and thinks that sometimes cannot be foreseen....these saving should be for the basic essentials like tires too....[censored] its not rocket science but trying to get my wife to see things this way is almost impossible!?

common sense....ill take it any day over a college degree!!

It's just lame. At Big O you can get used tire with up to 65% thread left for 25 bucks installed. That includes major brands.

Some people are stupid, lazy, cheap, etc., and don't care about themselves or anyone around them for that matter. Cars driven with tires like that should impounded.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
... as for not being able to afford new tires....i dont accept that at all. If you are running a vehicle, its only common sense to have money saved for unpredictable vehicle breakdowns and thinks that sometimes cannot be foreseen....these saving should be for the basic essentials like tires too...

Agreed. If you can't afford to replace tires as bad as in the picture, then you can't afford to drive. Driving is a privilege, not an entitlement.

Like already pointed out, the safety of others is at stake. Plus I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

In alot of states they wouldnt pass inspection...as for money woes sometimes people may have had some money saved but needed it for another emergency and legitimately cant get them now...in this case it seems that they dont care so thats different...every situation is unique and we cant hold it against others...at the same time safety is important and should not be taken lightly.

I've seen idiots on Motorcycles with bets showing. Unbelievable !

You trust your life with your bike. I can't even fathom how some people just don't get it.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Not everyone has the money to replace things when they break or wear out. But like the above poster mentioned people don't realize the seriousness of what could happen if a tire goes out.

You might possibly be right. However, I'd ask her if she can afford pay TV, Internet, and the latest smartphone. Then we'll know for sure.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
It's just lame. At Big O you can get used tire with up to 65% thread left for 25 bucks installed. That includes major brands.

What is "thread?"

... and why do people use the word "thread" instead of "tread"?

21.gif

This is why their should be yearly inspections to get nonsense like this off the road.

I don't buy not being able to afford it for a second, I see a lot of poor people with cell phones, booz, smokes, and everything else. Its all about priorities.

If money is tight you can buy tires one at a time, and its not that expensive, and after a few months you have a nice, safe matching set.

Last edited:
No need for inspections. This should work itself out fairly quickly but there are too many bleeding heart type barriers in place for it to do so.

I worked at a WM TLE in a not-so-great part of town. I got kind of 'immune' to how bad tires were on customer cars. most people just never 'looked' their tires at all - you'd shw them and they'd be shocked. Some would reoplace them right away, but most were like 'well, I'll have to do something about that soon....'

Ones that DID scare me were the taxis - black, low oil, bald tires, and they're on the road most of the time!

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
This is why their should be yearly inspections to get nonsense like this off the road.

I don't buy not being able to afford it for a second, I see a lot of poor people with cell phones, booz, smokes, and everything else. Its all about priorities.

If money is tight you can buy tires one at a time, and its not that expensive, and after a few months you have a nice, safe matching set.

Can't afford to replace a bad tire? Ride the bus.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back