Motorcraft oil 5w20 Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres been quite a bit of talk on it but nothing to recently, thats because theres no exciting UOAs!!! There was a VOA of the new SN version. Had a good dose of moly & boron with over 2000ppm calcium. Great oil for the price since its a synblend. It just never goes on sale but I can get it for 3.29/qt

ALUMINUM 1
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 1
COPPER 1
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 79
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 1
POTASSIUM 5
BORON 234
SILICON 5
SODIUM 1
CALCIUM 2135
MAGNESIUM 10
PHOSPHORUS 740
ZINC 858
BARIUM 0

TBN TOTAL BASE 7.32
VIS 100C CS 8.5
OX 7
NIT 9

Last edited:
It's a good oil and the price is not bad, but you can get full syn oils on sale for the same price or not much more.
For example M1 0W-20 often goes on sale for $29.95 for 5 qts and a M1 oil filter at AZ.

It is worth it if you can get a good deal. I think it is one of the best 5w20's. Ford has done a lot of testing on it and I really trust it. If you have a walmart around it still is reasonable for the quality you get.

Definitely a solid oil for the price, compared to the skyrocketing prices of full syns retail, if I'm buying oil retail I'll either get a good deal on synthetic or will settle for a reasonably priced blend or conventional.

I couldn't believe that my local auto part stores have Mobil 1 single quarts for $9/Quart, for instance.
crazy2.gif

No wonder people want to get their oils at Wal-Mart! Incidentally, some WM's locally carry Motorcraft in larger containers.

Walmart near me sells the 5W20 Motorcraft Blend for 14 bucks in the 5 quart jug..It works well for 5K mile OCI's..I sometimes use Motorcraft Full Synthetic.

I recently took one of 4.6 Panthers to Mobil 1 Express and put in 5W20 Mobil 1..It seems to like it as much as the Motorcraft.

I drive 4 to 5 thousand miles a year in my F150, 10+ miles at a time. So using the Motorcraft 5W-20 with the Motorcraft 820S oil filter, both from WalMart, has been very cost effective for me. My truck uses a 6 quart fill so I buy a 5 quart jug and 1 quart. I'm lucky I don't use any measurable oil in the OCI. Last I looked at WalMart the Motorcraft in a 5 quart jug was $14.50, a quart was $3.29 and the Motorcraft filter was ~$3.67. Synthetic oil for me does not pay because I drive so few miles in a year.

Whimsey

FYI, I just received the monthly flyer for Quick Lane Tire and Auto Center (located at some Ford dealerships) and they are offering their oil change for $19.95. It includes up to 5 qts of Motorcraft Syn Blend (picture shows 5W-20 bottle) and filter (plus they check all fluids and adjust tire pressure as well as a multi-point inspection). I believe these are the shops that feature Mike Rowe in their commercials (the Works Fuel Saver is $39.95) where he calls the mechanic a car doctor.

Its a good oil, but price is steady going up. I can get the 5 qt. jug of PP for just a couple of bucks more. Used to be the Motorcraft Syn Blend was a good price, but not anymore at my Walmart.

yeah i know wal mart is not cheap anymore...i rather go to other places and buy oil on sale and not wait on any lines ...I used to shop at wal mart but their oil prices went through the roof

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I drive 4 to 5 thousand miles a year in my F150, 10+ miles at a time. So using the Motorcraft 5W-20 with the Motorcraft 820S oil filter, both from WalMart, has been very cost effective for me. My truck uses a 6 quart fill so I buy a 5 quart jug and 1 quart. I'm lucky I don't use any measurable oil in the OCI. Last I looked at WalMart the Motorcraft in a 5 quart jug was $14.50, a quart was $3.29 and the Motorcraft filter was ~$3.67. Synthetic oil for me does not pay because I drive so few miles in a year.

Whimsey

why not buy 2 5 qt jugs and use a quart out of the second jug for every oil change-that way you just buy an extra jug every 5th oil change

You know, WM may have oil prices higher, but they have selection for a better price without needing a filter/oil change special at the part stores.

Max Life red bottle Valvoline, was $27.99 at a local AAP, for a 5 Qt jug. About $8 more than WM, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back