Who's had a tire explode in front of them? Damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
On the way to the cottage this weekend, on highway 11, there was a Chevy Avalanche in front of me in the hammer lane pulling a trailer with some lawn equipment on it. I think a mower and a tiller.

He pulls into the slower lane and as I'm about to accelerate to get by him........

KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His right trailer tire goes off like a GRENADE!

It bent the wheel well, blew the tail light clear off the trailer and large chunks of rubber as well as plastic from the trailer light flew everywhere.

I thought I avoided everything (I was on the brakes hard) but when we got to the cottage, my wife pointed out a large rubber streak up the left side of the hood.

I was able to use a damp shammy and gently rub it off. The car had been clayed and waxed the day before. No scratches, thank God!

Anybody else every have this happen? I couldn't believe the noise, and the violence with which it happened. The trailer literally jumped in the air on that side, then smashed into the ground. It fishtailed a bit, but he was able to keep it under control and took the next exit.

I was a passenger in My friends car couple years ago. Some dually pick up had his tire blown right in front of us. Big chunks or rubber flew around, he managed to avoid it, but car that was going in left lane got hit by basically half of tire. It smashed his headlight and ripped out right mirror. Not sure, but I think windshield got cracks too. It was on 4 lane hwy, so no time to look. That's a bad luck there.

Last edited:
Once I was driving with some friends and a tractor trailer blewout right next to us. It was LOUD but no damage. Dont know what happened to the folks behind though.

I've had some semis lose some large road gators at me...
I've hit a few also but none have come up off the road.

Worst that happened to me was some hick with a bunch of unsecured hale bales blew off in front of me while I was towing a utility trailer and my dads JD 318 Tractor.
2 lane road with everyone going about 70ish.

I found out that day that YES 3 front straps and grade 80 chain in the back arent overkill

I missed them all but the guy behind me tapped one and it totally jacked up the car following the truck who lost the bales.

Last edited:
A car on the 4th lane blew a tire while my wife was on 3rd lane a little behind that car, she hit some rubber from the blown tire. The damage to the 6 months old E430 was broken passenger fog-light, right corner front bumper, right corner front fender and the splash guard. She said the highway was busy, she could not steer the car to left lane. I think she was lucky for not getting into worse accident, damage to the car was minor comparing to what could happened if she lost control and got hit on the side door at 70 mph traffic.

"cottage" ???

"this weekend"?

You outta be ashamed of yourself...Flaunting that money like that!
Just kidding,how was the trip otherwise?

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
"cottage" ???

"this weekend"?

You outta be ashamed of yourself...Flaunting that money like that!
Just kidding,how was the trip otherwise?

Trip was fine otherwise. This time of the year is great for caterpillars and the like, so we took the kids through the woods, had a few close encounters with some deer, and managed to catch a HUGE (5cm) neon-yellow caterpillar that had black "tufts" of fur sticking out from it.

We went looking for salamanders, caught a pile of mini toads for the kids to put in their "bug watches" for a bit. And the big yellow rewarded us for his capture by running around his glass fish bowl home I gave him for a couple of days, then building the largest cocoon I have ever seen! And he did it on the BOTTOM of the fish bowl, so the kids were able to watch him spin it from the inside! It was fascinating.

The cottage is my aunt's. It is actually her "home", but she lives with her employer through much of the year, so we have use of it most of the time if we like.

Family has been in the Muskoka area since the 1860's. I love it up there, and my kids are learning to love it just as much as I did when I was their age.

I was in the backhoe that i run when all of a sudden BOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!This tire just exploded!http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-a-Backhoe-Tire

I was waiting at a bus stop and suddenly heard a bang, it wasn't very loud but almost made me jump. The bus was making a turn and it probably went over a pot hole. Heard a bang sound like a firecracker and saw some dust blow out one of the rear tires. Good thing no one was standing near it.

Yea, if your own front tire counts. A friend and I were out Chukar hunting(the first time is for fun, after that it's for revenge)in northern Nevada. We had been on dirt roads all day and stopped to open a gate. Just as I was reaching for the door handle... KABOOM!!! We both looked at each other and then at the roof of the truck to see who had screwed up and blown a hole in the roof with their shotgun. Wasn't either of us, as both had empty chambers as we should have. The front tire had blown out.

Stupid Dodge truck had a "bottle" style jack that was to fit under the axle. The jack was too tall to fit with a flat. Brilliant! We had a shovel, so dug a hole in the road for the jack to fit, changed the tire and went on our way.

Ed

Was driving into the big smoke one morning for a meeting, when I heard the most humungous bang, and some striking sounds against my car's underside.

A drive tyre on the semi next to me had failed.

Thansk goodness it was the inside tyre, and not the one closest to me.

This happens once when everyone was driving 90mph on I5 down to LA, an overloaded station wagon (corolla or camry) has a rear tire exploded about 3 seconds worth of time in front of me. Everyone slow down enough and the wagon pulled to the side safely, but made quite a smoke show and the tire debris flew across at least 1 lane wide.

This is close but i don't think his tire blew. I was behind this guy on the highway (RT. 128 in MA) in the fast lane and he was driving erratically. It look like he was distracted by something he was doing inside the car.

I slowed a bit and gave myself some room from him. I knew if something happened and if I was too close I would hit him.

So his car starts weaving in the lane and he comes close to the semi-curb where the road guard is. Then he goes up the curb and hits the road guard and bounces off and heads across the 3 lane highway.

Some poor schmoe in the slow lane gets hit by this guy and is knocked off the road. This guy comes back across the highway towards the fast lane. I am in awe at this point.

He clobbers the road guard again and heads back across the highway and, thank god, no one was there. He goes off the highway and down a low embankment.

I am watching this in awe, never seen anything like it.

fiddler

The tire didn't explode, but it did bounce about 40 feet up when it hit the pavement after falling out of the boat (yes, they had a loose spare just sitting in an open boat) that was being trailered ahead of me up I-81 one day.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
The tire didn't explode, but it did bounce about 40 feet up when it hit the pavement after falling out of the boat (yes, they had a loose spare just sitting in an open boat) that was being trailered ahead of me up I-81 one day.

Nice. I like how people keep stuff tied down.
I watched one guy roll a inflated tire out to his pickup and lay it standing up against the side of the bed. Then he forgets to close the tailgate. He jumps in and mashes it. The truck leaps forward and the tire leaps out of the back, hits the ground, bounces cleanly over someones car before landing and bounding into the bushes.
Sorry for the hijack, but it was hilarious and one of those one-in-a-million shots.

Last edited:
My parents stopped in at a local gas station to air up the tires. While doing so, my dad had a tire explode in his face. Loud bang.

I've had a few encounters on the road with others exploding tires and had one close call, but never hit anything.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Worst that happened to me was some hick with a bunch of unsecured hale bales blew off in front of me while I was towing a utility trailer and my dads JD 318 Tractor.
2 lane road with everyone going about 70ish.

I've seen that, too. I saw another nasty one a few years ago, driving at night on a dead highway. There's a tow truck in front of me, towing a half ton with a topper. The stupid topper suddenly lifted off the half ton, floated up in the air a bit, then came crashing down onto the highway. It was fiberglass and shattered into about a million pieces. What a mess.

Near that highway, a few months earlier, a plumber jackknifed his little utility trailer, it popped off the hitch and somersaulted down the highway, breaking open, leaving bolts, nuts, and plumbing fittings for about a quarter mile.

Haven't seen any really bad blowouts, though.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Near that highway, a few months earlier, a plumber jackknifed his little utility trailer, it popped off the hitch and somersaulted down the highway, breaking open, leaving bolts, nuts, and plumbing fittings for about a quarter mile.

I was driving somewhere near Ann Arbor a couple of weeks ago and came upon somebody who had a workbench on a flatbed trailer - the bench fell over, and the top section with all the cubbies for various fasteners dumped all over the pavement. Luckily the guys towing the trailer broke out the push brooms almost immediately, because there were probably a few thousand screws swept into a pile next to the trailer by the time I came by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back