Castrol Edge 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up some Edge (with Titanium yada yada) 0W-20 the other day. I couldn't find much in the way of UOAs, but the ones I did looked pretty good.
I haven't heard much about it lately. Is there any consensus about how well this oil lasts or engine wear issues? Any problems with it?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I picked up some Edge (with Titanium yada yada) 0W-20 the other day. I couldn't find much in the way of UOAs, but the ones I did looked pretty good.
I haven't heard much about it lately. Is there any consensus about how well this oil lasts or engine wear issues? Any problems with it?

Thanks in advance.

Its pretty much the thinnest oil you can buy, and it is a good one.

Where did you find it? And in a 5-qt jug or in one quart bottles?

For those where using the thinnest oil you can find isnt an issue like in Honda engines, go for it. This is a very very good oil here. Again, where did you find it.
smile.gif

The Castrol spec sheet didn't show it as any thinner than an average 20 wt. (at 100C)
Do you mean thinner at the cold end of the spectrum?

I got it at Advance Auto Parts. I see this is about the only 0W-20 they always have on hand around here in quantity.
They only had quart bottles unless I missed seeing a jug.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP

Its pretty much the thinnest oil you can buy, and it is a good one.

The SM version was likely the thinnest oil you could get with it's 220 VI but with the SN version the formulation has changed dramatically dropping the VI to only 162 IIRC.
That's the lowest VI for any 0W-20 on the market and therefore will be likely the heaviest on start-up. It will still be lighter than a 5W-20 dino and many 5W-20 syn's.

The lightest 0W-20 on the market is the Toyota Brand 0W-20 with it's 214 VI. I've personally run this oil and it's lighter by far to anything I've ever run on start-up and at normal operating temp's as determined by engine oil pressure.

Oops. I went down and looked at the bottles, and it is SM without the reference to titanium on the labels.
Maybe I'll take it back and exchange it for something different.

Oops. I went down and looked at the bottles, and it is SM without the reference to titanium on the labels.

Don't do that!

The SM version looks to be a much better product; not because 'SM is better', but because for this particular oil, they've seemingly made it a less expensive lube. If I could get the SM Edge 0W20, I'd snatch up all I could get if it were at a good price.

Doh! Too late. I took it back this morning. I figured I would find some of the newer titanium stuff or just get some Toyota OEM, which is cheaper here by far (like $7/qt vs $10/qt) and has lots of moly. The OEM I know runs really quiet start-up and idles in my engine. Haven't done any UOAs on it yet though.

I figured the SN with Titanium would be better, and want to wait until they sell the old SM stock out before I switch to Edge.

Ti is apparently a cheaper alternative to organic moly.
The XOM made Toyota 0W-20 doesn't use their own sources of moly but rather import from Japan the same Adeka Sakura-Lube as specified my Toyota. See below:
http://www.adk.co.jp/en/chemical/pickup/lib/pickup01.html

Aside from the high moly level of the Toyota 0W-20, it's other main advantage is it's 214 VI. This is why the oil is lighter than anything else on start-up.

IMO the Edge SN 0W-20 with it's low 162 VI is about the least attractive 0W-20 oil grade I know of. In fact the Castrol Syntec 0W-20 is more appealing with it's 170+ VI.

I think maybe I'll stick to the OEM then.
I did one good UOA with it, and the few others I've seen look good too. My engine starts up and runs quiet on it. I like the moly. I think I've changed my mind about trying the Edge although I'm sure it is a decent oil.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I've seen your 06/09/10 UOA of the Toyota 0W-20. So have you done subsiquent UOA of the same oil as well? If so I'd be interested in seeing them.

I have not. I do not have that truck anymore either, but traded for the same thing with an automatic as my wife would not drive it. I plan to get some done though. I have my last sample in the Blackstone bottle, and want to get another one at least and send them in for the new(er) truck. The one in the bottle is factory fill, and this one will be Toyota OEM 0W20.

The SM one was the "good" one, river_rat.

Yes the SM version was the good one. Castrol dropped the ball IMO with the SN gold bottle Edge. JMO

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
The SM one was the "good" one, river_rat.

I see.
Well, I'm not disapointed...rather stick to one oil for a while. I don't want to start liking a type that I won't be able to get by next OC.
Guess I'll keep using the Toyota OEM oil for now.

Toyota's VI is untouchable, even by very high end 0w20s...and almost any other oil out there in any viscosity grade (save a few high-end gear oils).

(no data for Honda or Subaru 0w20s, or new Eneos Sustina. Torco SR5 0w20 is missing data on the PDS.)

Fuchs Titan GT1 -- 160
Motul 8100 Eco-lite -- 162
Amsoil Signature -- 166
Redline -- 166
Valvoline SynPower -- 170
Total Quartz Future -- 170
M1 AFE -- 173
PP -- 175
Quaker State UD -- 175
Motul 300V -- 177
Eneos -- 179
Silkolene Pro R/Fuchs Titan Race Pro R -- 179

Last edited:
Hmm, Eneos also sells something in Europe called "Premium Ultra 0w20" that has a VI of 199.

I believe Idemitsu makes the Subaru 0w20, though I can't seem to locate a PDS for it. It might be the same as Toyota's, which is Idemitsu too.

The latest XTL version of the FUCHS Titan GT-1 0W-20 has a VI of 172 IIRC. Rather academic since it's not available in NA.

ENEOS the house brand of NIPPON OIL was the original formulator of the Toyota Brand 0W-20. Very similar oils including the high moly levels. But why buy ENEOS when you can get the Toyota oil for less than half the price in my country?

Idemitsu USA is the only other formulator of a high VI (nominally 200) high moly 0W-20 oil in NA. They make it for Subaru, Honda/Acura Canada and Beck/Arnley (see below):
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2368974&page=1

RLI 0W-20 and RL 0W-20 aren't true 20wt oil since they have HTHS viscosities in the 30wt range (2.95cP to 3.3cP).

Thanks for pointing that out, I had forgotten about their higher HTHS values.

It's really a shame that Idemitsu isn't making anything heavier for us Germans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back